MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Overcast and Windy
Collapse Photo Bar

Time to go?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Keep the Chief?

Yes, He no better or worse than Amesqua.
18%
No, Can we get Cooper to come back?
82%

Total votes : 11

Time to go?

Postby Dulouz » Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:42 pm

I think the local media should review Chief Wiggums' tenure:

Gun explodes because he hides it in the oven;
A high number of citizens shot and killed by police officers compared to previous administrations;
Stated that the biggest crime issue in Madison is graffitti (during a summer in which citizens had to patrol the bike paths to stop muggings);
Set up the previous Mayor and Fire Chief for ridicule and embarrassment over the Jocko's case;
Continually out performed on serious crime investigations by the County Sherriff's office;
Maintained that Madison is "relatively safe" even when reports show violent crime is up (and a record murder year);
1996 Mifflin St. riot;
Over-reaction to the US Mayor's Conference (which didn't involve drunken mobs);
2002 Halloween riot
2003 Halloween riot
Cancelled leaves for Halloween and then fled town (my favorite quote from a State St. Business owner: s/he asked the Mayor if things had gone so well without the chief on the scene, why keep the chief at all. "Cieslewicz did not respond."
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:50 pm

I'm on the side that believes the Cheif is not in touch with Madison. I'm hoping Zen Capt Sheri Maples is our next MPD Cheif.

Think about it. A lesbian Buddist Police Cheif, definately in the same lineage as Beatnik Cheif Cooper.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

It has a certain ring, no?

Postby Marvell » Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:43 pm

If nothing else, someone should quickly grab that band name.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, presenting for the first time here at the Cabin Lounge, The Lesbian Buddhist Police Chiefs!!!"
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:33 pm

The way I understand it, Chief W hasn't got long until retirement. It's really shitty to send somebody packing only a year or so before they retire, causing them to lose their retirement, pension, or whatever. I am not happy with the way he treats the press uninformed and conceals stuff the public has a legitimate interest in knowing. But I'm willing to wait and give the guy a chance to enter his retirement years with a comfortable future.

He's put in his years of service in good faith. No reason I see to be vengeful -- he's not BAD. He had some pretty big shoes to fill when he came in, remember. I always wished the PFC had chosen someone from within the department, trained under Couper himself.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby m_venk » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:13 pm

snoqueen wrote:The way I understand it, Chief W hasn't got long until retirement. It's really shitty to send somebody packing only a year or so before they retire, causing them to lose their retirement, pension, or whatever. I am not happy with the way he treats the press uninformed and conceals stuff the public has a legitimate interest in knowing. But I'm willing to wait and give the guy a chance to enter his retirement years with a comfortable future.

He's put in his years of service in good faith. No reason I see to be vengeful -- he's not BAD. He had some pretty big shoes to fill when he came in, remember. I always wished the PFC had chosen someone from within the department, trained under Couper himself.

One year would be fine... 2 years? Maybe that's pushiing it. Generally, I can say that I've always found Madison's police to be a little more thorough in their "to Serve and Protect" motto. Still it's hard not to take some of the stances such as undue secrecy and the graffitti remark in the face of the murder statistic as being somewhat "anti-citizen"...

I don't know. It's hard for me not to have my true feelings on police be known, especially when referring to the high ranking, politically connected, six figure earning ones. Heck, he should be able to retire just swell anyhow the way chiefs get paid, now that I think of it. But to me the only reason to replace him is if we're going to actually put somebody better in his place, which is rarely the case in law enforcement.

There is a growing trend in law enforcement to opt for sticter and stricter measures.

Jails, for instance. Anybody who knows anything about psychology can take one look at the inside of a jail and tell you that this is no place to inspire pious-ity (spelling? foggy brain, got the flu, lol) .. in the hearts of the incarcerated. But every time they're buldozed and replaced by a new, $10,000,000 + facility, it's even worse than the last one. Electrice glass doors. Lights that stay on 24 hours a day. Total lack of human contact (intercoms are all they use in Dodge Co., where even minor offenders are confined to their cells over 16 hours a day)... Strict refusal to treat someone as a human being...

The trend is for things to get progressively worse. Sorry to find myself blabbing again, I guess I just have a lot to say when it comes to police and the people who suffer at their hands. The whole "jail" rant may have seemed slightly off topic, but I've heard they're going to build a new one soon to replace some older structures, so the boss of the cops might be a pretty important thing while they're doing that. Currently Madison's city jail is a cakewalk compared to these zillion dollar "Death Stars" that are springing up all over the state.

But that's exactly what minor offenders deserve. A cake walk. Cities want to replace these friendlier, more citizen appropriate facilities with larger, colder, prison like facilities that they can store more actual prison convicts in to accommodate the overflow. And of course all us regular citizens are supposed to sit happily next to them for our misdemeanors.

I agree with White Rabbit when he reccommends someone like Sheri Maples for the position. I've never heard of her, but assuming she's a real person, that's exactly my ideal. Somebody who's actually representative of her community. Also I'm more prone to support female candidates for all mid to higher level law enforcement positions ever since I've seen the statistic about how over 60% of all male police officers are found guilty of domestic abuse during their carreers. I think that was in JANE magazine. I also think that if 60% are found guilty, there's gotta be at least another 5-10% who remain uncharged or unconvicted.

Well, I just think that the whole law enforcement infrastructure needs to be re-examined because of how many faults have grown into it. Madison's better than most places though.
m_venk
Forum Addict

Re: It has a certain ring, no?

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:31 am

Marvell wrote:If nothing else, someone should quickly grab that band name.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, presenting for the first time here at the Cabin Lounge, The Lesbian Buddhist Police Chiefs!!!"

ROTF, LMAO!!
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Time to go?

Postby swifty » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:39 am

Dulouz wrote:Set up the previous Mayor and Fire Chief for ridicule and embarrassment over the Jocko's case..

This goes on the "success" side of the scorecard. If ever anybody deserved ridicule and embarassment, it is those two incompetents.

Unfortunately, that side of the scorecard is almost empty.....
swifty

Return to Headlines