MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

McD's can't figure out how employees survive on Min. wage

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: McD's can't figure out how employees survive on Min. wag

Postby wack wack » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:27 am

ArturoBandini wrote:
Check that link again.

On the other hand, the original story at this link calculated its numbers assuming the salaries of management and executives including the CEO would double as well. That's absurd.

The average fast food worker median salary (2009-2011) was $18,564. McDonald's CEO salary is $8.75mil (numbers). This means that McDonald's and its CEO believe he is as valuable as 471 line employees.

Cutting his salary in half could raise the annual earnings of each of those 471 employees to over $27k/yr without raising the cost of a Big Mac a single penny.

Let's take the money from those who have it, not those who work and eat at McDonald's because they have little other choice.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:59 am

ArturoBandini wrote:
Check that link again.

Ruh roh. Duped by the interwebs again. Thanks for the link. I will say, I don't think you have to double the salaries, but give them a better living wage. I believe the average salary to be about 8.25/hr. Add $3 an hour and folks are doing a lot better. I guess I could say this about many jobs so it's all moot anyway because it's not gonna happen.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:49 pm

i recall hearing about the teamsters and united electrical, radio & machine workers organising some mc donald's locations some years back, the wobblies were working at it too -- has this made much of a difference and do those locations actually charge more for product?
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:14 pm

http://action.sumofus.org/a/mcdonalds-d ... ?sub=credo

When single mother Natalie Gunshannon went to get her first paycheck from her new job at McDonald’s, she was in for a shock — McDonald’s gave her wages on a fee-riddled debit card that would charge her every time she used it charging her $5 just for withdrawing money at the bank.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:07 pm

Because of Australia's minimum wage laws, their McDonald's workers made nearly fifteen bucks an hour. And McD's still makes a profit.

The Atlantic reports that not only does McDonald's pay its Australian workers the equivalent of $14.50 an hour -- or double the U.S. minimum wage -- but Australia's Fair Work Commission just hammered out a deal between the company and its employees that guarantees workers up to a 15% raise by 2017. That's in a country where most McDonald's workers are already making more than the minimum to begin with.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:44 pm

It's interesting that some on the right-wing side of things reply with, "Quit and get a better job!" when so many of the "better jobs (manufacturing)" have been shipped to 3rd world countries. And when it comes to better "service" jobs that replaced them, well...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/who-pays- ... 21219.html

We looked at 10 large U.S.-based chains to get a sense of how much they pay employees in common positions, like cashier and store manager, as well as their annual revenue and profits, and the overall labor costs they record...

...The highest rates were reported at the so-called fast casual chains -- like Chipotle (CMG) and Panera Bread (PNRA) -- where jobs, similar to those available at the larger burger chains, are paying over $8 an hour. (Starbucks baristas earn, on average, $8.79 an hour, the highest non-manager rate on our list.)
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:53 am

McDonald's tells employee to "get food stamps; try for Medicaid".
An audio recording released by labor activists Wednesday afternoon captures a staffer for McDonald’s’ “McResources Line” instructing a McDonald’s worker how to apply for public assistance.

I wonder if I can use that strategy elsewhere. Suppose I go buy a new couch, but tell the salesperson: I'm not going to pay the full price. You can just make it up with food stamps!
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:20 pm

http://rinf.com/alt-news/breaking-news/ ... for-execs/

McDonald’s says it can’t afford to pay her and the company’s more than 700,000 other American nonmanagement employees a wage that would lift them above the poverty line. What McDonald’s Corp. can afford to do, though, is buy itself a new corporate jet.

... McDonald’s Corp. has purchased for the use of its executives a Bombardier Challenger 605, a 12-seat plane that goes for between $27 million and $35 million.

... Taxpayers are spending an estimated $1.2 billion a year supporting McDonald’s workers, according to a recent National Employment Law Project study...
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:10 pm

Add Walmart to the list of noble corporations going the extra mile, helping out their 'associates'. They are organizing a food drive, for those workers who are can't afford food.

That's right - one of the most successful corporations in America is going to help out its most impoverished employees. Not by paying them a decent wage, or even a holiday bonus. But by getting all the not-quite-so-impoverished people to pitch in and help them out.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:20 am

Yesterday fast food workers went on strike for higher pay. Employers, like McDonald's, say they can't afford to pay them more.

But they do offer excellent benefits. For example, your typical $7.40/hour worker might want to know, how much do I tip my Au Pair? McDonald's has helpful advice!

Or had. It seems to have gone away. Dammit, how am I supposed to what to give my pool cleaner for Christmas?

Its a tough economy. How can they afford to give raises to the people who work there? They have to properly compensate the people who don't work there.
McDonald's more than tripled the pay packages last year for its new CEO Don Thompson and the man he replaced, Jim Skinner.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:28 am

It didn't go away forever -- it's back now.

I'm thinking MickeyD has some saboteurs in the employee resources department. And they've got a weird sense of humor.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Headlines