MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 37.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Arkansas Tar Sands Oil Spill

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Arkansas Tar Sands Oil Spill

Postby rabble » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:32 pm

Couple of points for starters:
There's a no fly zone over the spill. It's controlled by Exxon.
The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette revealed that the FAA site noted earlier today that "only relief aircraft operations under direction of Tom Suhrhoff" were allowed within the designated no fly zone.

Suhrhoff is not an FAA employee: he works for ExxonMobil as an "Aviation Advisor" and formerly worked as a U.S. Army pilot for 24 years, according to his LinkedIn page.

It appears the Pegasus spill is becoming the BP Gulf oil disaster take two, with the responsible polluter running every step of the show.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Arkansas Tar Sands Oil Spill

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:27 pm

I posted some stuff here

This is a pretty fucked up situation that's getting little press. I'm so glad people like Hannity are obsessed with the Obama girls spring break, but could give a fuck about this disgusting failure.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:37 pm

Yet the oil industry still wants the Keystone pipeline that would transverse the Ogllala aquifer. They say believe us, it will be safe.

Or as George Tirebiter said: "No, friends, no overheating like the tropical fishes."
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:27 pm

Do no-fly zones extend to drones? Taking a few pictures of this mess might be a nice use for a drone with a camera.

Has Google Earth got it yet?

No-fly zones are so 2000.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:04 pm

Is XOM a major contributor to the Obama campaign too?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:40 pm

Exxon-Mobil isn't "controlling" the no-fly zone. They haven't taken over for local air traffic controllers. They're not sending up Exxon-Mobil fighter jets to force down trespassers. It's an FAA no-fly zone set up at the request of ExxonMobil.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:24 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:Exxon-Mobil isn't "controlling" the no-fly zone. They haven't taken over for local air traffic controllers. They're not sending up Exxon-Mobil fighter jets to force down trespassers. It's an FAA no-fly zone set up at the request of ExxonMobil.

It's an FAA no-fly zone with an Exxon employee who decides who flies over it.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:50 am

Stebben84 wrote:This is a pretty fucked up situation that's getting little press. I'm so glad people like Hannity are obsessed with the Obama girls spring break, but could give a fuck about this disgusting failure.

After the negligent, foot-dragging, non-response by the Obama administration to the Gulf oil spill disaster, what did you expect? Leadership? Action?

And you direct your criticism at some AM radio host instead of at the man in charge, the President himself? Wow, that's familiar.

Maybe he's too busy with music tributes, golf outings, and other fluff to be bothered right now. Give him a month or two. Don't worry, some comforting sound bytes will be forthcoming.
Uncle Fester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:41 am

Uncle Fester wrote:After the negligent, foot-dragging, non-response by the Obama administration to the Gulf oil spill disaster, what did you expect? Leadership? Action?

I see how it works. The oil industry fucks up and pollutes the environment and it's Obama's fault. Yet, when he tries to stop the Keystone pipeline for environmental reasons, he's also fucking things up.

Uncle Fester wrote:And you direct your criticism at some AM radio host instead of at the man in charge, the President himself? Wow, that's familiar.

Some AM radio host? Yea, that's all he is and probably has a small audience with no influence. :roll: My criticism was directed towards the media coverage of this issue. But alas, the only criticism can be directed towards the president. Not the media, and surely not the companies who maintain these pipelines that leaked. If this happened at the hands of the public utilities, folks like you and drudge would be calling for Senate investigations and possible impeachment.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:55 am

Stebben84 wrote:But alas, the only criticism can be directed towards the president. Not the media, and surely not the companies who maintain these pipelines that leaked.

Remember, this only applies in times of Democratic administration.

When a Republican is president, history will show him to be the greatest president in history and all our problems are caused by (a) the most recent Democratic president and (b) liberals who are controlling the lamestream media.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:13 am

When a Republican is president, history will show him to be the greatest president in history and all our problems are caused by (a) the most recent Democratic president and (b) liberals who are controlling the lamestream media.

You're making that level of ignorance sound pretty blissful. Guess I see the appeal of dumbing down the world this way. Less time thinking means more time cleaning my guns.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:43 pm

"We still do not know how much oil was released. We still do not know the exact makeup of the crude itself, of the chemical solvents used in the transportation process," McDaniel said. "And our immediate concern tonight is with the weather."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/1 ... 60280.html

I'm sure we'll get all the details quickly and truthfully. Or wait, is it the Obama administration that supposed to figure this out and just let Exxon go on their merry way. Don't worry Exxon, you've got cheerleaders right here on this forum.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:32 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. You've already stated your only criticism was directed towards the media coverage of this issue, specifically, by Sean Hannity.
Uncle Fester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:27 am

Uncle Fester wrote:You've already stated your only criticism was directed towards the media coverage of this issue

Wrong. I stated one criticism, and never said it was my ONLY criticism. Whatever, you could give two shits about any of this.

Here is some aerial footage before the no fly zone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... IdWGGlBP8#!
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:00 am

Use the keywords "tar sands oil spill" or similar, and you'll find lots more video at Youtube. It's mainly ground-level, not from the air, but in a way that's even more shocking. The stuff is running in the streets and in between people's houses, in addition to damaging big chunks of wetland.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines