MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Texas Woman Gets 99 Years for Child Abuse

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Texas Woman Gets 99 Years for Child Abuse

Postby pjbogart » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:10 pm

A Texas woman who savagely beat a toddler over potty-training issues, leaving her child in a coma for several days with internal bleeding on her brain, was sentenced to 99 years in prison for the assault. She will not be eligible for parole for at least 30 years.

While the facts of the case are surely shocking and the notion that a parent could do such a thing to their own child boggles the mind, I can't help but wonder if our criminal justice system is primarily a vehicle for rehabilitation, punishment or some sort of societal revenge. While there can be no doubt that this woman is unqualified as a parent, has serious anger management issues and poses at least a reasonable threat to society, locking her up and throwing away the key seems hardly like proportionate punishment, to say nothing of the more than $1 million (at a minimum) that Texas taxpayers will pay for the luxury of not running into her at the grocery store.

It makes me wonder how much money Wisconsin taxpayers waste on overzealous justice every year.

Mom Gets 99 Years in Prison for Gluing Tot's Hands
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Texas Woman Gets 99 Years for Child Abuse

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:23 pm

You left out the part where After she beat her own 2 year old, leaving the child nearly dead and in a coma, she super glued her hands to a wall.

Sorry, this women is broken. Rehabilitation is a secondary to protecting a child. Even more so when you face the fact that all the rehabilitation in the world is no guarantee she will actually be less of a threat to abuse children.

imho she got off light.

I'm fine with calling it wasted money when a non-violent drug user gets locked away for an unreasonable amount of time, but society does need to spend money to protect itself from people who are this damaged. It's horrible to think that the woman was abused as a child herself, and has a terrible life, but she's still responsible for the choices she made as an adult.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:44 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Rehabilitation is a secondary to protecting a child.

She also lost custody of all her children, regardless of how many years she got.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:54 pm

If she's imprisoned, it's unlikely she'll have more children or do childcare. That's definitely in the best interests of everybody.

This is the most important reason we have prisons: to protect society from people like her. Proportionate punishment is a good principle, but in extreme cases like this one it's not first.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:47 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:I'm fine with calling it wasted money when a non-violent drug user gets locked away for an unreasonable amount of time, but society does need to spend money to protect itself from people who are this damaged. It's horrible to think that the woman was abused as a child herself, and has a terrible life, but she's still responsible for the choices she made as an adult.

She absolutely is responsible for the choices she makes as an adult. I'm not questioning whether this woman deserves jail time, I'm questioning whether we use prison sentences to rehabilitate, punish or get revenge. She won't be eligible for parole for 30 years. Think about that for a second. Are you a different person than you were in 1982? I was ten years old and loved Star Wars and Dungeons and Dragons. Ok, that was a bad example.

I, for one, do not feel any safer knowing that I won't run into this woman while picking out Honeycrisps at Copps. Frankly, I don't think she poses any threat to either of us. Do you? She deserves some jail time, she deserves to lose her children. She needs to be evaluated by a psychiatrist periodically and have a parole officer pop in and make sure she isn't doing anything absolutely fucking crazy. But 99 years in prison? Really?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:31 pm

pjbogart wrote:She absolutely is responsible for the choices she makes as an adult. I'm not questioning whether this woman deserves jail time, I'm questioning whether we use prison sentences to rehabilitate, punish or get revenge.

I don't think using prison to punish or get revenge are good choices for society, but you're leaving out a fourth option. As Sno alluded to, Prison serves also to protect society from people whose behavior causes them to be a danger to others.

pjbogart wrote:She won't be eligible for parole for 30 years. Think about that for a second. Are you a different person than you were in 1982? I was ten years old and loved Star Wars and Dungeons and Dragons. Ok, that was a bad example.

The bigger question would be since becoming an adult how much have you changed? Since turning thirty? How much can we really expect people to change after they reach adulthood? In the young mother's defense, I'm a hell of a lot different now than I was at 23, but I also know plenty of people who are no different at 40 than they were at 18.

pjbogart wrote:I, for one, do not feel any safer knowing that I won't run into this woman while picking out Honeycrisps at Copps. Frankly, I don't think she poses any threat to either of us. Do you?

Well I'm assuming either you or I could defend ourselves from this woman's temper without resorting to violence. On the other hand, she didn't attack someone who could defend themselves. She attacked her own 2 year old for issues with potty training. Two years old, and the child's inability to pee where mommy wanted her to earned her a coma. The amount of things that went wrong in this woman's mind are astounding.

pjbogart wrote:She deserves some jail time, she deserves to lose her children. She needs to be evaluated by a psychiatrist periodically and have a parole officer pop in and make sure she isn't doing anything absolutely fucking crazy. But 99 years in prison? Really?

Let's be honest, if she can indeed be rehabilitated, she's going to be out in 30. Is 30 too long? Possibly, but again, it comes down to protecting society (in this case the most vulnerable portion of it) from the chance that she won't really be rehabilitated. Plenty of repeat offenders are out on parole.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:39 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:Rehabilitation is a secondary to protecting a child.

She also lost custody of all her children, regardless of how many years she got.

That's good to hear, because no one has ever been hurt by someone who isn't legally allowed to see them.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:10 pm

Recidivism refers to the probability that a criminal will repeat their offense and is often taken into account when sentencing convicted criminals. A man who robs a gas station, then robs a bank, then commits a rape and brutally assaults a random person at a bar before finally being caught would be considered a dangerous criminal, with chance of recidivism very high and posing a very general threat to all people around him. He simply can't be trusted to walk among the general population because he's prone to criminal behavior.

I would consider this woman's probability of recidivism to be low to medium. She obviously has anger management issues and is prone to violence, but her victims aren't random. If she spent ten years in prison all of her children would be teenagers before she was released and she wouldn't necessarily have the right to contact them anyway. She would be inappropriate at jobs where a great deal of patience was required, obviously a day care or nursing home would be off limits.

While her crime may be shocking she is not a huge threat to society at large.

Let me ask you this: if you were working for a newspaper and the editor asked you to go interview this woman, would you ask for a guard to be present or would you think you might get a more candid interview if you were alone with her?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:26 pm

She's 23 years old.

If left to her own devices what is the chance she will have more kids and beat the hell out of them?

Perhaps she should be given a reduced sentence if she agrees to sterilization and no contact with her children or any others.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:37 pm

pjbogart wrote:Let me ask you this: if you were working for a newspaper and the editor asked you to go interview this woman, would you ask for a guard to be present or would you think you might get a more candid interview if you were alone with her?

You've already asked this question, it's completely beside the point. She didn't attack an adult. Odd are she's highly unlikely to attack an adult. She attacked an defenseless child.

pjbogart wrote:I would consider this woman's probability of recidivism to be low to medium.
Why? Do you have any stats that back that up? Do you know what the recidivism rate is for child abuse?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:37 pm

I don't view the sentence of being too severe. I view it as justice, and if rehabilitation occurs while she serves her time, that's great.

If a stranger did that to a child that person would probably get about the same sentence. The fact that this woman was the child's mother adds a bit to the horror and pathos of the crime, but not anything to the sentence. I view that as a societal good. We no longer consider parenthood as an excuse to commit mayhem on a child.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:50 pm

Donald wrote:If a stranger did that to a child that person would probably get about the same sentence. The fact that this woman was the child's mother adds a bit to the horror and pathos of the crime, but not anything to the sentence.

But I look at that as just the opposite. If this had been a random stranger, attacking some child at a playground, the sentence might be warranted. But that's because the person is truly a menace to society, all people around her would be in danger.

Once you take her children from her she seems far less likely to repeat the crime. There are more effective ways to protect her children without spending a couple million dollars locking her up for life.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:37 pm

By Zues, I think I'm siding with PJ. She does need to go away for a very long time. 30 years is possibly excessive, 99 is for sure. In that case, a simple execution would make more sense. She will be a completely different person after being institutionalized 30 years. By then her daughter will be 32 and independent of her birth mother. Sad ass affair to be sure. In days of yore they used to be institutions for the criminally insane. This is the type of facility she should be housed\rehabed or possibly buried in.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:42 pm

You do the crime, you do the time. The victim deserves justice, and it's really safer for the perpetrator, too. If the state doesn't have stiff sanctions for this sort of behavior, then people will simply take the woman and string her up from the nearest tree. The woman will get paroled out in 30 years. That's actually a fairly light sentence for bludgeoning a child to near death.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:43 am

As a parent, I can't possibly bring myself to give a fuck what becomes of this woman. Good for those of you whose hearts bleed more freely than mine ... I guess.

If forced sterilization isn't an option, then no parole until menopause would seem a pretty fair shake.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines