MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Russia's Pussy Riot

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Russia's Pussy Riot

Postby bdog » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:39 am

rabble wrote:I thought two years in a Russian prison was a high price to pay for a shot at fame and fortune.

Agreed. My bet is they won't be giggling for long.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:02 am

Yeah. Cause they're just stupid Russian chicks. Unlike you and me, they've got no idea what it's like in a Russian prison.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:13 pm

Young and stupid is what it is.

And yeah, I'm guessing they're in for a big surprise.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:31 pm

I gotta say dog, you've said some stupid shit before but I can't recall you being this dense, this sexist, and that much of a fucking asshole.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:43 pm

Is everything ok at home Rabble? You've been hostile before but you seem really really pissed off this time. It doesn't correlate to the little pussy riot spat here. What's going on?

Open up to me, it will make you feel better.

If you choose not to, just remember in regards to whatever is going on in your life: "this too shall pass".

Godspeed Rabble.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:46 pm

rabble wrote:I gotta say dog, you've said some stupid shit before but I can't recall you being this dense, this sexist, and that much of a fucking asshole.

Hey by the way, if you can't recall me being this much of an asshole, You ain't been watchin'!

FUCK GOD anyone?????
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:04 pm

Wow, it isn't what anybody thought it was.

I can't remember a flame war fought so hard by so many, when every single one of the flamers was so absolutely and completely wrong.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:36 pm

But if it was Ted Nugent threatening to kill the President, Hillary and Pelosi while waving a couple of machine guns around at a concert, it'd likely be a "free speech issue" for Bdog.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:45 pm

They shouldn't have gone to jail for this stunt.

Their music doesn't sound good to me, but maybe that's because I don't have the right cultural context to listen to it in. Also, I can't imagine that their music could possibly sound good live, since they never seem to have permission to perform when they do (in trainstations, on rooftops...). Whether their music or performance was any good is irrelevant in whether they were deserving of the sentence they received.

I wonder if the whole case could have been pursued on a simple trespassing charge (e.g. "get out of this church or we'll have you arrested"), but I know nothing about the Russian legal system, so I really don't have anything other than speculation on the matter. I didn't read much into the band's political positions (to which I could almost certainly find objections), but that is irrelevant in determining whether their stunt should be punished with imprisonment.

As long as she makes it out whole, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova will be a star following this incident. She is stunning, and now the whole world knows who she is.Image
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:46 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:But if it was Ted Nugent threatening to kill the President, Hillary and Pelosi while waving a couple of machine guns around at a concert, it'd likely be a "free speech issue" for Bdog.

I would treat it the same as if Bruce Springsteen threatened to kill the entire Romney family. He should be thrown in jail.

Jonny do you agree?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:58 pm

bdog wrote:
jonnygothispen wrote:But if it was Ted Nugent threatening to kill the President, Hillary and Pelosi while waving a couple of machine guns around at a concert, it'd likely be a "free speech issue" for Bdog.

I would treat it the same as if Bruce Springsteen threatened to kill the entire Romney family. He should be thrown in jail.

Jonny do you agree?
Or at least "DIXIE-fied (Dixie chicks). But thats not what happened, hey?
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:58 pm

One of them was freed today.

http://news.yahoo.com/moscow-court-free ... 31283.html
Moscow court frees 1 of 3 Pussy Riot members

"One jailed member of the punk band Pussy Riot unexpectedly walked free from a Moscow courtroom, but the other two now head toward a harsh punishment for their irreverent protest against President Vladimir Putin: a penal colony.
The Moscow City Court ruled that Yekaterina Samutsevich's sentence should be suspended because she was thrown out of the cathedral by guards before she could remove her guitar from its case and thus did not take part in the performance."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:33 pm

The other two are going to a remote penal colony:

http://news.yahoo.com/russian-punk-band ... 45429.html

"Two members of punk band Pussy Riot lost their appeal to stay in a Moscow pre-trial detention center on Monday, their lawyer said, and will now serve the remainder of their terms in a remote penal colony where conditions are much tougher. Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, 22, and Maria Alyokhina, 24, had their two-year sentence imposed over a cathedral protest against Vladimir Putin upheld by Moscow City Court last week. They are convicted of hooliganism motivated by religious hatred.

Both Tolokonnikova and Alyokhina have small children and lawyers are saying that a transfer to a colony outside Moscow where the regime is more strict than in detention centers will complicate their contacts with families. "There are many concerns there -- their safety, their health. A barrack for 150 people is not the same thing as a cell for four people," lawyer Mark Feigin told Reuters. The nearest penal colony is located about 100 km from Moscow."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:22 pm

Pussy Riot are in the U.S. and went on Colbert last night.

Watch.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:46 pm

Yesterday Pussy Riot was attacked with whips by police at Sochi:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -sign.html

Today they released a new video and it has scenes from the Sochi attack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... jI0KYl9gWs
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Previous