MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

The gun thread

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The gun thread

Postby jman111 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:31 pm

Dangerousman wrote: His target was the area above them and beyond, which in that hilly rural area was undoubtedly the side of the hill.

"Undoubtedly", huh?

Looks to me like he lives less than 100 ft from the road, but perhaps your Google-fu puts mine to shame. And let's see... a 120 gr projectile...starting at 2300+ fps... fired "up in the air" several feet above an occupied truck. What was the trajectory of the shots? What was in the line of fire? How far did those rounds fly?

We don't know for sure, but only Dman can proclaim "undoubtedly" the final destination of that lead. My gripe isn't THAT he fired his gun in that location, but the circumstances under which he did.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:38 pm

jman111 wrote:
Dangerousman wrote: His target was the area above them and beyond, which in that hilly rural area was undoubtedly the side of the hill.

"Undoubtedly", huh?

Looks to me like he lives less than 100 ft from the road, but perhaps your Google-fu puts mine to shame. And let's see... a 120 gr projectile...starting at 2300+ fps... fired "up in the air" several feet above an occupied truck. What was the trajectory of the shots? What was in the line of fire? How far did those rounds fly?

We don't know for sure, but only Dman can proclaim "undoubtedly" the final destination of that lead. My gripe isn't THAT he fired his gun in that location, but the circumstances under which he did.

Actually, if he was standing within 50ft of the center of the road when he fired (and I'm in no way saying that I know he was) he violated the law anyway, no mater which way he fired. If he did fire towards (and over) the road (even if further back) he also violated state laws.

http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/a/gunlaws_wi_2.htm
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:42 pm

Things would be so much easier for this guy if he had an assault weapon...

http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/Mad ... 78325.html
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:14 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Actually, if he was standing within 50ft of the center of the road when he fired (and I'm in no way saying that I know he was) he violated the law anyway, no mater which way he fired. If he did fire towards (and over) the road (even if further back) he also violated state laws.

It's also normally against the law to point a gun another person, or to punch a person, or stab them or shoot them.

Have you ever heard of the legal term "privilege?" Under certain circumstances one may do many things that are normally regarded as violations of the law.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:21 pm

Dangerousman wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:Actually, if he was standing within 50ft of the center of the road when he fired (and I'm in no way saying that I know he was) he violated the law anyway, no mater which way he fired. If he did fire towards (and over) the road (even if further back) he also violated state laws.

It's also normally against the law to point a gun another person, or to punch a person, or stab them or shoot them.

Have you ever heard of the legal term "privilege?" Under certain circumstances one may do many things that are normally regarded as violations of the law.

fully aware of "privilege", just don't think he was in a position to make that claim. There was no clear threat that he was reacting to. The robbers were in the act of fleeing.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:22 pm

Yes, the story says the guys were already trying to get out of there.

And we all know trying to steal an air conditioner is reason to get ready to kill someone. Proportional, in a word.

So what if the AK-47 (and its ilk) are the most ubiquitous firearms in the world? We ought to start growing opium poppies, making women wear burkas and not learn to read, and living in tribes. And enough of this running water and toilets. What's good enough for Afghanistan is good enough for Wisconsin.

--

Guy I used to work with liked to have an AK-47 handy. Once I asked him what he was thinking of using it for. He gave me this gap-toothed shit-eating grin and said "shooting turkeys."

We both knew what he meant by that.

Actually we got along pretty well but I wouldn't have trusted him with the keys to a broom closet.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:39 pm

snoqueen wrote:So what if the AK-47 (and its ilk) are the most ubiquitous firearms in the world? We ought to start growing opium poppies, making women wear burkas and not learn to read, and living in tribes. And enough of this running water and toilets. What's good enough for Afghanistan is good enough for Wisconsin.

Bogus comparison. They have cell phones in Afghanistan too. Thus we ought to eschew cell phones?
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:12 pm

"No guns allowed" sign stops robbers in Milwaukee!

http://www.cbs58.com/news/local-news/Re ... 71475.html

Ooops! I guess it didn't!
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:19 pm

You thought those signs were meant to prevent robberies?

They're meant to minimize the possibility of people shooting off guns inside a place of business. In this case, it worked. No vigilante justice -- just petty theft of cash, and the camera worked as intended.

I thought we already established that people should not be killed for robbing a PDQ or pickpocketing. This is the same category of property crime. Do I have to dig back and find where you said "no" on that list of crimes where killing the miscreant isn't called for?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:28 pm

snoqueen wrote:You thought those signs were meant to prevent robberies?

They're meant to minimize the possibility of people shooting off guns inside a place of business. In this case, it worked. No vigilante justice -- just petty theft of cash, and the camera worked as intended.

Meant to prevent robberies? Oh dear lord, no. They're meant to encourage robberies, and in this case, it worked.

They're meant to leave good people helpless and their fate in the hands of criminals. In this case, it worked.

Yes, the cameras also worked as intended. Not by discouraging crime, but by documenting it.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:32 pm

snoqueen wrote:I thought we already established that people should not be killed for robbing a PDQ or pickpocketing. This is the same category of property crime. Do I have to dig back and find where you said "no" on that list of crimes where killing the miscreant isn't called for?

Ha, well the robbers weren't carrying guns into that restaurant to threaten and coerce the money.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:06 am

Oh man, I just have to throw this one in here:

"In 1939, Germany established gun control," he says, proceeding to shoot fruits and vegetables. "From 1939 to 1945, six million Jews and seven million others unable to defend themselves were exterminated."

"I love America," he closes.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/1 ... 09652.html

What a dipshit.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:34 pm

Despite the rhetoric of "Dangerousman!" (not to be confused with Superman, Aquaman, The Incredible Sulk, or Wonder Woman) who wants us to believe more guns makes us safer, what we're actually seeing (in reality) with the more relaxed gun laws, stand your ground, and the castle doctrine, is an increase in bullies using guns to kill innocent people.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:44 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:Despite the rhetoric of "Dangerousman!" (not to be confused with Superman, Aquaman, The Incredible Sulk, or Wonder Woman) who wants us to believe more guns makes us safer, what we're actually seeing (in reality) with the more relaxed gun laws, stand your ground, and the castle doctrine, is an increase in bullies using guns to kill innocent people.

And you have credible evidence from an unbiased source to back it up?

Yeah, I didn't think so.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:49 pm

For the Second Amendment absolutists, those unintended consequences of liberalizing gun laws are just the civilian equivalent to the military euphemism collaterial damage.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines