MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 9, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Willy St. Co-op Store leaving Willy St.?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Willy St. Co-op Store leaving Willy St.?

Postby rabble » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:51 am

kiwiwannabe wrote:You can still get there without jumping in the car, and you can stop on the way home from campus or downtown to shop. There will always be parking close by, and there are no neighbors to complain about the headaches that commerce brings in a residential neighborhood. A real improvement over the current site!

The car shopping can only get better and traffic on Willy will flow better. I don't think there will be any measurable effect on Jenifer St. because the residents will be using their cars more.

When the weather's nice and they only need a couple of items, yes they'll walk. But based on my own years in my own little near east neighborhood, only the diehards will walk when the weather isn't perfect, they've got a few pounds to carry, and they have to cross East Wash.

Most of those folks will do that one or two times and then start using the car. What was six blocks walk for some people will now be 12. They won't even think about walking.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:54 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Metcalfe's owner is a Republican who supports Walker. hus the boycott of their Bratfest (and institution of counter-fests). Will eastsiders shop at a new Metcalfe's if it is located on E. Wash?

This came up in the East Washington thread, too, so I'm going to be a lazy liberal and just quote myself:

Ducatista wrote:
snoqueen wrote:I get the sense the coop shoppers are a different group from those who'd like a traditional grocery store like Metcalfe's.

Dipper wrote:There's no way in hell that co-op shoppers will patronize those Walker-loving Metcalfes for even one gumball.

I've been a Willy St member for 15 years or so, and I regularly shop at both the co-op and Metcalfe's.

I stayed away from Metcalfe's for almost a year after the election, but quality, 24-hour convenience, and a well-marked selection of local & regional products brought me back.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:31 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Metcalfe's owner is a Republican who supports Walker. Thus the boycott of their Bratfest (and institution of counter-fests). Will eastsiders shop at a new Metcalfe's if it is located on E. Wash?

I would. I think boycotting someone just because they are a republican is stupid. I guarantee that you are currently purchasing something made by someone who supports Walker and you don't know it. Metcalf's is locally own, has a nice selection, and I've been told is nice to work for.

That said, I wouldn't mind the co-op there either. I generally don't shop there because that parking lot suuuuuucks, and it's a bit too far for me to walk. I would prefer they put a new one at Union Corners.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:46 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Metcalfe's owner is a Republican who supports Walker. Thus the boycott of their Bratfest (and institution of counter-fests). Will eastsiders shop at a new Metcalfe's if it is located on E. Wash?

I would. I think boycotting someone just because they are a republican is stupid. I guarantee that you are currently purchasing something made by someone who supports Walker and you don't know it.

No doubt. But I was just addressing their business plan, considering the animosity towards even their Bratfest charity event. The alt-fests are held in the same general area as their proposed eastside store.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:53 pm

Henry Vilas wrote: But I was just addressing their business plan, considering the animosity towards even their Bratfest charity event.

I always thought it was more about boycotting Johnsonville then Metcalfe's. Or maybe it was both. I dunno, I've never been to bratfest. I prefer the one on my back deck. Not nearly as crowded.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:12 pm

Stebben84 wrote:[...]and it's a bit too far for me to walk.

Poor baby. How far is it? Two miles?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:45 pm

Meade wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:[...]and it's a bit too far for me to walk.

Poor baby. How far is it? Two miles?

I like that Meade has forgone any illusion of considered argument and turned to straight up douchebaggery. Let your freak flag fly jerkwad.

From a shopping perspective, the move would be great; agreed that Willie West is able to offer a lot of great things that East can't because of space limitations. I'm wondering what the residual effect would be on other businesses though (particularly Star).
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:51 pm

rrnate wrote:I'm wondering what the residual effect would be on other businesses though (particularly Star).

That's going to be interesting to watch. My bet is no problem. Given all those other businesses out there, I can't believe their take would fall much. I even wonder if parking around there would get better, increasing traffic to the other places.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:21 pm

rrnate wrote:I like that Meade has forgone any illusion of considered argument and turned to straight up douchebaggery. Let your freak flag fly jerkwad.

Luckily I have Meade blocked, but your quote came up. So I'll address the D-bag.

Hey fuckwad, I walk miles and miles each week. I'll happily walk 5 miles to get downtown. I'm not gonna walk two fucking miles with grocery bags in my hand.

Now back to having you blocked. Now I know why I did that.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:33 pm

Poor baby.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Phil » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:58 pm

Laurence Meade has his mommy Ann Althouse drive him everywhere. Meade might be one of the most non-self-sufficient people living today who claims to be a libertarian. He is living high on the hog off the taxpayers of the State of Wisconsin. His wife Ann Althouse has been abusing her tenure at UW law school for years. She has not published any scholarship in almost a decade but is instead getting paid by the taxpayers of Wisconsin $160,000.00 to sit in her pajamas and write blog entries about American Idol and other such nonsense. Meade does not work but instead is living a life of leisure and enjoying the fruits of his wife's tenure abuse at the considerable expense to the Wisconsin taxpayers. What a couple of phonies.
Phil
Forum Addict

Postby radboy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:21 pm

Funny, it does seem like most of the people that I meet who claim to be libertarians are almost never self-sufficient rugged individualists themselves. Not surprising to find out that Meade fits the stereotype.
radboy
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:25 pm

Phil wrote:What a couple of phonies.

Your jealousy is showing.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Phil » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:33 pm

jjoyce wrote:Your jealousy is showing.

Now if only everyone could marry Ann Althouse's gold plated benefits. That would solve the U.S. heath care problem!
Phil
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:54 pm

Phil wrote:...who claims to be a libertarian.

Libertarians are just Republicans who smoke pot. (And want to see it legalized.)

Democrats who smoke pot are just Democrats.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines