MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: The Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman Story

Postby HawkHead » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:07 pm

Dangerousman wrote:
Well that's not how this law professor views it:

University of Miami law professor Tamara Lave said this change by O'Mara may be a signal that he thinks his case for self-defense is solid even without the special provisions afforded by "stand your ground."

Then isn't this poor defense by ZImmerman's lawyer? If there is an additional special provision why wouldn't you use it? Reason for a mistrial or appeal later in the process? Most likely appeal I doubt that a mistrial would be called for not using a possible defense.

Or does his lawyer know that following someone, getting out of your vehicle after the 911 dispatcher tells you to stop following and let the police handle it, and shooting them isn't really standing your ground. It is in fact potentially escalating the situation to a point where a gun is "needed" for self-defense?
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:22 am

HawkHead wrote:
Dangerousman wrote:
Well that's not how this law professor views it:

University of Miami law professor Tamara Lave said this change by O'Mara may be a signal that he thinks his case for self-defense is solid even without the special provisions afforded by "stand your ground."

Then isn't this poor defense by ZImmerman's lawyer? If there is an additional special provision why wouldn't you use it? Reason for a mistrial or appeal later in the process? Most likely appeal I doubt that a mistrial would be called for not using a possible defense.

Or does his lawyer know that following someone, getting out of your vehicle after the 911 dispatcher tells you to stop following and let the police handle it, and shooting them isn't really standing your ground. It is in fact potentially escalating the situation to a point where a gun is "needed" for self-defense?

As I understand it the lawyer's position is that "stand your ground" doesn't apply to the facts of the case. It would apply if Zimmerman had the opportunity to escape an attack and didn't take advantage of that opportunity. The lawyer is saying that there was no opportunity to escape the attack because Zimmerman was knocked to the ground and had Martin on top of him. Stand your ground only has applicability when there was an opportunity to escape.

As to the second question you raised, Zimmerman didn't get out of his vehicle after the dispatcher told him he didn't need to follow Martin. It's clear from the 911 call that Zimmerman was already out of his car. Secondly, Zimmerman claims that he was walking back to his car when he was confronted by Martin. So I'm pretty sure that's what his lawyer will maintain as well. And this is supported also by the 911 call because when the dispatcher says "you don't need to do that" Zimmerman replies "OK" and begins telling the dispatcher where he's going to meet up with the police. That doesn't sound like he's following anyone at that point.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:19 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:02 pm

Was there supposed to be?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:14 pm

Zimmerman was hoping for exculpatory evidence, as he claimed that Martin went for his gun.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:29 pm

Trayvon Martin was a punk thug.

Good riddance.

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:05 pm

Wow.

I've seen sixth graders look worse after a fight during recess.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:18 pm

I guess if I were roaming the neighborhoods, chasing teenagers for no other reason than that they're black, I'd expect my face to end up a bit bloody.

I guess I tried, back when this story was fresh, to put myself in Trayvon Martin's shoes. Ok, so I'm seventeen years old, wandering the streets of Oshkosh eating a bag of Skittles. Some creepy dude starts following me. Then he starts chasing me. I probably would have bounced his head off the sidewalk a few times too.

Moral of the story: if you're not a cop and don't have a uniform, don't expect that random people will react kindly to you chasing them. The person who was "standing his ground" was Trayvon Martin.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:39 pm

Moral of the story is that RM thinks its OK someone got killed because HE thinks someone is a thug. That's some classy shit.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rich Schultz » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:21 am

rabble wrote:And as pointed out in the article, no sign of a broken nose and no blood on his shirt.

He's got a long, long row to hoe.

Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:26 am

Stebben84 wrote:Moral of the story is that RM thinks its OK someone got killed because HE thinks someone is a thug. That's some classy shit.

Nope.

I think it's ok that a thug got killed who resorted to physically beating the snot out of someone who was, at most, following him.

If he was so concerned over Zimmerman following him he had a cell phone and a girl he was talking to who could phone for help.

Or he could have simply run away.

Trying to beat the life out of someone doesn't make you anything but a punk thug.

You folks and your liberal white guilt can spin it any way you like.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:30 am

rabble wrote:Wow.

I'm concerned about you watching sixth graders at recess.

Are you an employee of the schools?
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:32 am

Remember_Me wrote:Or he could have simply run away.

Or he could have stood his ground, as Florida law permits.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:35 am

Remember_Me wrote:
rabble wrote:Wow.

I'm concerned about you watching sixth graders at recess.

Are you an employee of the schools?

Actually I feel kinda bad about it now. I shouldn't have said that he looked like a sixth grader after a recess fight.

I should have said eighth grader. I apologize.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:46 am

Remember_Me wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:Moral of the story is that RM thinks its OK someone got killed because HE thinks someone is a thug. That's some classy shit.

Nope.

I think it's ok that a thug got killed who resorted to physically beating the snot out of someone who was, at most, following him.

If he was so concerned over Zimmerman following him he had a cell phone and a girl he was talking to who could phone for help.

Or he could have simply run away.

Trying to beat the life out of someone doesn't make you anything but a punk thug.

You folks and your liberal white guilt can spin it any way you like.

How now, that's big pussy talk, far too big for a little pussy like you to back up.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Headlines