MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Baldwin to introduce bill repealing DOMA next week

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Baldwin to introduce bill repealing DOMA next week

Postby Ned Flounders » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:32 am

I don't see anything about this on her website, but according to the Advocate, Tammy Baldwin and two other reps are going to introduce a bill next week to repeal the so-called "Defense of Marriage Act". According to the Advocate, they haven't formally circulated the bill for co-sponsors yet, but 50 congressmen and -women have asked to be included as sponsors.

Dunno if this will go anywhere, but I'm glad to see someone working on it.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News ... Next_Week/
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Baldwin to introduce bill repealing DOMA next week

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:31 pm

My marriage, who will save it against the clamoring homo hordes?

Look what teh gays who got married in California did to the marriage of "Hot" Mike DuVall...
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:34 pm

I'm gay and support the repeal but this is a case of horrible timing. Introducing anything controversial is going to distract from getting health care reform passed. Big mistake!
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:37 pm

Introducing anything controversial is going to distract from getting health care reform passed.

Are you sure? Maybe its a "Look over here! Homo's are gettin' Married!" kind of distraction. That will give the neocons something shiny and new to lie about and scare people with. Then in the meantime the Dems slip a nice little Public Option through Congress. Neocons can barely think about one thing at a time. Giving them two battles to fight might just be the end of them.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:42 pm

I would think a smarter strategy would be to pursue marriage rights though the court system. It would be a more decisive victory if the law is nullified rather than repealed.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:43 pm

That's a good point and I think you're right about it being an effective way to distract the frothing-at-the-mouth far right. I'm worried about it feeding paranoia of working class whites who might still be persuaded on health care. I see the right wing presenting a "liberals have control of congress and look they're going to let the gays marry...do you trust them with health care reform" argument that will feed that paranoia.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:54 pm

True but they really don't need any more ammunition to get them foaming at the mouth. They'll just make stuff up to accomplish that. They already have. There's not a lot of convincing needed on health care at this point either. Lines have been drawn. The Dems aren't going to get one Republican vote no matter what ends up in that bill. They have decided its politically better to just kill it than to make it anything they would want. They've said as much on several occasions. Now the most laughable thing out there is they are accusing the Dems of doing EXACTLY what they've stated out loud. They claim the Dems want any victory regardless of the bill just based on politics. It's quite maddening. Gay marriage and all other gay equality will come with time. We just need to wait for a few more old people to kick off.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:29 pm

DOMA prevents people from getting married to dogs. If they repeal DOMA, people will be able to marry their dogs. Sure, there's nothing out there "allowing" people to marry their dogs, but Democrats haven't offered any bills to "prevent" people from marrying their dogs either.

One has to wonder why the Democrats would want to repeal DOMA before issuing legislation preventing people from marrying their dogs.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:37 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
Introducing anything controversial is going to distract from getting health care reform passed.

Are you sure? Maybe its a "Look over here! Homo's are gettin' Married!" kind of distraction. That will give the neocons something shiny and new to lie about and scare people with. Then in the meantime the Dems slip a nice little Public Option through Congress. Neocons can barely think about one thing at a time. Giving them two battles to fight might just be the end of them.

If hate is finite then there is hope for humanity.

pjbogart wrote:DOMA prevents people from getting married to dogs. If they repeal DOMA, people will be able to marry their dogs. Sure, there's nothing out there "allowing" people to marry their dogs, but Democrats haven't offered any bills to "prevent" people from marrying their dogs either.

One has to wonder why the Democrats would want to repeal DOMA before issuing legislation preventing people from marrying their dogs.

I'm more concerned with people being able to legally adopt their dogs (and bequeath legally rights onto their fur kids).
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:53 pm

Since Bush had 8 years to stack the courts with right-wingers, a strategy of getting relief through the courts could take decades.

I don't know how this will play out strategically. But when I think of people voting for change...maybe doing something simply because it's the right thing to do is the type of change we really need.

It would certainly be different.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:48 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines