MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 9, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Globe University opened in Middleton

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Globe University opened in Middleton

Postby Ashley » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:12 am

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/biz/448178

For profit college. They offer AA's and BS's in health science, business, IT, and legal assistance. Unfortunately, their many programs are not accredited by the right organizations--for example, if you do the paralegal program, you will probably not be hired as a paralegal but rather a legal admin assistance.
Ashley
Forum Addict

Re: Globe University opened in Middleton

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:25 am

The standard definition of a university is a collection of colleges that offers PhDs. How does Globe even come close to meeting that definition?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby travis.malone » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:49 am

No, that's not even remotely true. A university is an instutition that provides graduate degrees. Globe University offers master's degrees, so it is a university. Here are some definitions of university -- let me know if yu see a single one that says a university has to award Ph.D.s:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/university
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/top ... -education
Last edited by travis.malone on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
travis.malone

Postby travis.malone » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:53 am

Ashley wrote:http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/biz/448178

For profit college. They offer AA's and BS's in health science, business, IT, and legal assistance. Unfortunately, their many programs are not accredited by the right organizations--for example, if you do the paralegal program, you will probably not be hired as a paralegal but rather a legal admin assistance.

This is also not true -- a huge majority of paralegal graduates of Globe University get jobs as paralegals. There seems to be a lot of misinformation about Globe here spread for no discernable reason -- I'm left wondering about the motivations of the posters, whether they work for competing institutions. In the interest of full disclosure, I do work for Globe University.
Last edited by travis.malone on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
travis.malone

Postby jjoyce » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:02 pm

In the interest of full disclosure, I work for Isthmus, the company that owns this website and relies on advertising to operate. To advertise on this site and/or in the weekly Isthmus newspaper, please email the sales manager.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby travis.malone » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:10 pm

jjoyce wrote:In the interest of full disclosure, I work for Isthmus, the company that owns this website and relies on advertising to operate. To advertise on this site and/or in the weekly Isthmus newspaper, please email the sales manager.

Thanks, and that might not be a bad idea, but to be clear, I'm not attempting to do any advertising in this forum -- I'm just trying to set the record straight.
travis.malone

Postby jjoyce » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:18 pm

tomato

tomato
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:19 pm

travis.malone wrote:This is also not true -- a huge majority of paralegal graduates get jobs as paralegals. There seems to be a lot of misinformation about Globe here spread for no discernable reason -- I'm left wondering about the motivations of the posters, whether they work for competing institutions. In the interest of full disclosure, I do work for Globe University.

No shit, you work for them? Never would have guessed.

In your statement above, you say, "a huge majority of paralegal graduates get jobs as paralegals." You do not say, "a huge majority of paralegal graduates from Globe University get jobs as paralegals." Hmmm.... Or even that people from programs with similar accreditation get jobs as paralegals. Hmmm again.

My guess is that the hostility you sense is because many people feel that offering degrees that are basically useless, or don't offer the job opportunities that students think they will, is sleazy. These types of places often prey on people with limited financial resources, and end up luring them from attending programs that are accredited and would actually offer the opportunity for a better job. You know, like MATC, Edgewood, UW, or even some of the specialty training programs at UW that don't offer a full degree.

On the other hand, the proof will be in how many people graduate and get jobs in their desired field. On doing a little digging, Globe University is a branch of Minnesota School of Business, which has been around for awhile.

Or it could be that people with decent degrees feel theirs will be diminished in value if everyone can get an "MBA" from Globe.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:30 pm

travis.malone wrote:No, that's not even remotely true. A university is an instutition that provides graduate degrees. Globe University offers master's degrees, so it is a university. Here's some definitions of university -- let me know if yu see a single one that says a university has to award Ph.D.s:
Not remotely true? It can't be stated as fact, I guess, since university is a loosely defined term. But in the academic world, Henry's definition is the generally held one.

And, sorry to be academic, but the above should be "Here are some definitions ..."
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby travis.malone » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:39 pm

roadkill bill wrote:
travis.malone wrote:This is also not true -- a huge majority of paralegal graduates get jobs as paralegals. There seems to be a lot of misinformation about Globe here spread for no discernable reason -- I'm left wondering about the motivations of the posters, whether they work for competing institutions. In the interest of full disclosure, I do work for Globe University.

No shit, you work for them? Never would have guessed.

In your statement above, you say, "a huge majority of paralegal graduates get jobs as paralegals." You do not say, "a huge majority of paralegal graduates from Globe University get jobs as paralegals." Hmmm.... Or even that people from programs with similar accreditation get jobs as paralegals. Hmmm again.

My guess is that the hostility you sense is because many people feel that offering degrees that are basically useless, or don't offer the job opportunities that students think they will, is sleazy. These types of places often prey on people with limited financial resources, and end up luring them from attending programs that are accredited and would actually offer the opportunity for a better job. You know, like MATC, Edgewood, UW, or even some of the specialty training programs at UW that don't offer a full degree.

On the other hand, the proof will be in how many people graduate and get jobs in their desired field. On doing a little digging, Globe University is a branch of Minnesota School of Business, which has been around for awhile.

Or it could be that people with decent degrees feel theirs will be diminished in value if everyone can get an "MBA" from Globe.

Fair enough -- I meant that the huge majority of paralegal graduates from Globe University get jobs as paralegals. I'll edit it to spell that out.

And as far as the legitimacy fo Globe University, it has actually been around longer than Minnesota School of Business has -- over 130 years. Yes, there are a lot of "degree mills" that prey on people, but we despise those instiutions as much as anyone -- probably more, since they give a bad name to career colleges that are simply trying to get people specific training for specific careers. As a nationally credited institution, we have very stringent job placement rates that we must maintain.

We're not UW-Madison, and we don't try to be or intend to be. We don't have research facilities, for example. We operate in a different niche, serving those who simply need training for solid careers.
Last edited by travis.malone on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
travis.malone

Postby travis.malone » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:54 pm

fennel wrote:
travis.malone wrote:No, that's not even remotely true. A university is an instutition that provides graduate degrees. Globe University offers master's degrees, so it is a university. Here's some definitions of university -- let me know if yu see a single one that says a university has to award Ph.D.s:
Not remotely true? It can't be stated as fact, I guess, since university is a loosely defined term. But in the academic world, Henry's definition is the generally held one.

And, sorry to be academic, but the above should be "Here are some definitions ..."

Good point, that was a grammatical error on my part. Tsk, tsk ... and all the grammar rodeos I went to as a kid ... I'll fix it.

And as far as the academic world, Globe University really doesn't exist in the same sphere as places like UW-Madison. We don't have research facilities -- we just train people for careers. In our field, if you offer master's degrees, you're a university, according to our accrediting board. You can also get away with calling yourself a "school," as in "Minnesota School of Business," but not "college."
travis.malone

Postby Detritus » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:56 pm

Interesting "facts." Cuz the Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globe_University/Minnesota_School_of_Business), which appears to be mostly the work of someone named "Travis Malone," clearly states that the Minnesota School of Business was founded in 1877, whereas Globe University was founded in 1885. So Globe has been around "a lot longer" than Minnesota SoB--nearly minus 10 years longer. In any case, there is no real connection with the current organization, which is wholly owned by Terry Myhre & family--Globe began as a German Gymnasium, which obviously it isn't anymore.

Spam.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:58 pm

roadkill bill wrote:Or it could be that people with decent degrees feel theirs will be diminished in value if everyone can get an "MBA" from Globe.

All the more reason to get your MBA from a top-ranked 'university'. When I interview people with online MBAs or MBAs from junk schools I almost view it as a negative. Yes, they'd be better off with a solid liberal arts undergrad degree from a good school. I view these junk degrees as indications of poor judgment.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby travis.malone » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:04 pm

Detritus wrote:Interesting "facts." Cuz the Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globe_University/Minnesota_School_of_Business), which appears to be mostly the work of someone named "Travis Malone," clearly states that the Minnesota School of Business was founded in 1877, whereas Globe University was founded in 1885. So Globe has been around "a lot longer" than Minnesota SoB--nearly minus 10 years longer. In any case, there is no real connection with the current organization, which is wholly owned by Terry Myhre & family--Globe began as a German Gymnasium, which obviously it isn't anymore.

Spam.

So I misspoke and said that Globe was older than MSB -- actually Globe is ten years younger. Big deal. Globe is still over 120 years old. You hardly ripped the lid off of a major conspiracy here.

And you're dead wrong about there being no connection to the current institution, and I don't see where you got that. Globe began as a training institution for German immigrants in Minnesota. It was Globe College for many years and recently became Globe University. Direct connection.

Your smug self-righteousness is more than a bit farcical.
travis.malone

Return to Headlines