MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Change We Can Believe In

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Change We Can Believe In

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:43 am

The unemployment rate has changed again. It's up to 9.5%. It's risen from 7.6% in January. It's 16.5% if you take into account all the folks who've stopped looking or who are now doing part-time work.

Remember when the left was bitching when it was 4.5% back in 2007?

Nation's Unemployment Rate Climbs to 26-Year High at 9.5 Percent
Employers cut a larger-than-expected 467,000 jobs in the month of June, driving the unemployment rate up to a 26-year high of 9.5 percent

...If laid-off workers who have given up looking for new jobs or have settled for part-time work are included, the unemployment rate would have been 16.5 percent in June, the highest on records dating to 1994.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/07 ... le-digits/
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Change We Can Believe In

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:48 am

Yep it really is hard to believe that businesses in this country haven't been creating jobs even after all the tax cuts they received from the Bush Administration. I'm starting to think maybe tax cuts and deregulation don't even create jobs.

I know you don't care Ned but we're still in Bush induced freefall.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Talon Newsman » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:55 am

fisticuffs wrote:I know you don't care Ned but we're still in Bush induced freefall.

Nice try, 'cuffs, but there's only so much longer Obama can continue to blame his predecessor.

He has only about another three years of that, tops, if The Glorious President Ronald Wilson Reagan-may-he-rest-in-peace is a good enough example for you (as he should be).
Talon Newsman
Forum Addict

Postby GODDOG » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:04 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Remember when the left was bitching when it was 4.5% back in 2007?

We still are Ned-dles...we still are! Just as you right-wing assho...(wait..I am turning over a new leaf...no more name-calling) Just as you members of the opposition party keep bitching about Clinton and he was in office what 10 FREAKIN' YEARS AGO!

Do you hate this country or believe we as a people are that weak and cannot recover from this unfortunate dilemma?
Change is going to be gradual and BHO told all of us it was more than likely going to get worse before it gets better. That is an honest president who tells the people who employ him the truth. What was Bu$h's "strateagery" after 9/11? Go shopping!
Ned-dles just give it up...you are never going to pin this economy on BHO. I'll even give your man Bu$h a little props here. My student loans can now be forgiven in 10-25 years, believe me it would probably take longer for me if he hadn't passed the student loan legislation. See how easy that is to give credit where credit is due?
Just stop with your hate man...it isn't winning you new recruits to the right side of the aisle!
GODDOG
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:07 am

Here we have a Republican slamming Obama over unemployment. Can we agree that Obama's plan thus far has been to create jobs with spending? And can we also agree that Republicans oppose this? What then was the Republicans solution to our current dilemma? It was to do nothing wasn't it? To let businesses and industries fail. Wouldn't that route at this point in time have produced far greater unemployment? Isn't it just a little hypocritical to slam high unemployment caused by more than 8 years of poor decisions on someone who has been trying to curb that issue for only a few months when your alternative in the short run would have produced numbers far worse?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GODDOG » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:21 am

Talon Newsman wrote: there's only so much longer Obama can continue to blame his predecessor.

Really. You haven't stopped blaming Clinton and it's almost a decade since he held office. Don't you think you are being a tinge hypocritical?

Talon Newsman wrote:He has only about another three years of that, tops, if The Glorious President Ronald Wilson Reagan-may-he-rest-in-peace is a good enough example for you (as he should be).

No. He has until his budget is passed and had at least 5-6 years to work. Try and remember some facts here mmmkay; This budget that is now in effect is Bu$h's budget. BHO will get his very own cute little 150,000 page budget next year. You see the gov't we all enjoy is based on future earnings, future jobs, and future interest and not based on the here and now! You TN have shown to be much smarter than that and to try and paint BHO into a three year corner...well that's not using facts, logic, or commonsense. Reagan ruined unions, which equaled unemployment, Reagan ran the air traffic controllers and I venture you didn't have a problem when the gov't was meddling in that now did you?
Reagan shot up military spending so much and ignored the warnings of Carter, removed the solar panels from the White House, that if he was a truly great president we'd not be in this fuel crisis we are in. Reagan, very much like Obama, was a great communicator who convinced a lot of people...how'd Bob Marley put it?...."every tings goin' be alright". Reagan lied and died. So should your blame of the state of the Union on BHO!
GODDOG
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:24 am

Psst. GODDOG. Mr. Newsman's post are generally chock full of sarcasm. He's TDPF's Colbert.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:33 am

Call me crazy, but I dont' see how funneling millions of dollars to Obama's shock troops at ACORN (who doesn't pay their employees shit) is going to affect the employment level.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GODDOG » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:34 am

fisticuffs wrote:Psst. GODDOG. Mr. Newsman's post are generally chock full of sarcasm. He's TDPF's Colbert.

thanks for the tip. :wink:
GODDOG
Forum Addict

Postby GODDOG » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:35 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Call me crazy,

You're CRAZY!. done.
Last edited by GODDOG on Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
GODDOG
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:36 am

The current employment situation would be pretty much exactly the same under a President McCain. It's going to take quite a while to dig ourselves from the wreckage that the lax fiscal/monetary policy of the last decade and a half or so has created. Trying to assign blame to Bush, Clinton, Congress, the Federal Reserve, et al. is an exercise in futility. There is plenty of blame to go around, but to try and pin it on a dude that's been in office for less than a half a year is silly. Fair or not, the economy imploded under George's watch(personally, I think the President's role in job creation is overstated) and that willl be a large part of his legacy.

One thing I will strongly criticize the administration for is trying to calculate the number of jobs "saved." Simply put, this is absolutely impossible. Maybe if one could create an alternate universe that existed without any of the stimulus policies in place, you might be able to make a reasonable calculation. The number of jobs created can be measured; saved...not so much. It's extremely misleading and capricious and they should stick to tangible yardsticks.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:41 am

thanks for the tip. :wink:

Cool just keep that info private. We don't want Ned getting wise. It wouldn't be near as much fun.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GODDOG » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:43 am

O.J. wrote: they should stick to tangible yardsticks.

or meter sticks...so much easier to read! Great points OJ. sorry for all the shit I've given you in past threads. I'm giving my soul an enema! no more unnecessary name calling or character bashing from the Dog. (Ned-dles does make it extremely difficult but every thesis has it's anti-thesis) :|
GODDOG
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:47 am

GODDOG wrote:
O.J. wrote: they should stick to tangible yardsticks.

or meter sticks...so much easier to read! Great points OJ. sorry for all the shit I've given you in past threads. I'm giving my soul an enema! no more unnecessary name calling or character bashing from the Dog. (Ned-dles does make it extremely difficult but every thesis has it's anti-thesis) :|

No problem, DOG. Apology definitely accepted, and I offer you my own. I think we both let our emotions get the better of us.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:18 am

Ned Flanders wrote: ...

Sorry, you can't pull that bullshit here. You blamed Clinton for the job losses in Bush's first four years, you can damn well wait more than six months before bitching about how Obama is taking too long to clean up the infinitely worse mess he inherited from the GOP.
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines