MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Overcast and Windy
Collapse Photo Bar

Close Wiggies?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Re: Close Wiggies?

Postby floroq » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:23 pm

1. the blatant thuggery exists on State st.
2. there's gunshots all over town, with and without a bar nearby
3. if you want suburban life, move to Black Earth and duck when your neighbor shoots the tv
4. If people didn't already carry guns, would the republicans even consider a concealed carry law?
5. I really pray that the constitution does protect us from the "tyranny of the majority"
6. Don't believe the hype, there are a lot of lies being fed to the gullible
7. it will all come out in the wash
8. Peace and hair grease
floroq

Postby Average Joe » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:42 pm

9. Alcohol and guns don't mix.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby floroq » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:50 pm

Average Joe wrote:9. Alcohol and guns don't mix.

amen to that
floroq

Postby mlmaguire » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:17 pm

Been a while since this has been an issue... the names have been changed to protect the...whatever...

There was a neighborhood meeting on Monday regarding the effects of the security plan imposed on Wiggie's liquor license. Bar owner was there, as well as alder and police, ALRC rep, some neighbors and two pro-Dave people (one from other end of neighborhood, one from Cherokee Marsh, why she's there I don't know). Police reported that since the plan is in place there have been no calls for service. Neighbors reported that since the plan is in place there has been no problems. ALRC rep and alder state that security plan provisions remain in place until license renewal/request from bar owner, and that neighbors will have chance to comment at these junctures. Bar owner accuses police of abusing bar employees, claims that police have not been doing enough to help him, accuses district captain of not being willing to meet with him, wants police to train employees, and suggests to neighbors that they should move if they have a problem with the bar. One pro-Dave'r agrees with neighbors that they should not have to endure what they have endured, but wants to try to get rid of the "bad people" (my paraphrasing but not out of context) that come to the bar rather figure out than why bar owner has accommodated them for so long, and suggests that police do more to help bar owner. Also suggests that next neighborhood meeting (including alder, ALRC and police) take place at disputed bar.

And this was all BEFORE Snowpocalyse 2011.

Seriously, I have no idea how this guy has managed to be such an influence in Madison and Dane county for so long. He seems like such a dolt.

Any comments/suggestions on how to proceed/snarky witticisms that will simultaneously amuse and infuriate us?
We just want this to be over.
mlmaguire

Postby snoqueen » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:21 pm

Sounds like things are vastly improved, if there have been no calls for service since the security plan went into effect. I'm glad your neighborhood is getting some peace, but wait until warm weather before you take a deep breath.

Can't do much about the owner being a dolt. If there were more media coverage of your plight, more light might be shed on his true nature and he might be less influential, but running an ongoing media campaign against Mr. Wiggie could be a full-time job. Who's got that much spare time?

If you have to pick between peace and justice, maybe this time you can settle for peace.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sylvie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:05 am

...could be there are no calls for service because it's hardly ever open. I live on the North Side and drive by there frequently to get to East Washington - it's almost always dark. I just guessed it was permanently closed.
sylvie
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Headlines