MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Bike Path Closing: Starkweather creek at Olbrich

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Bike Path Closing: Starkweather creek at Olbrich

Postby rabble » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:01 pm

From November to March, then from May 1 to May 21st or so.

Upcoming Closure & Detour for Capital City Path between Sugar Ave (Olbrich Gardens) & Walter St

Contractors for the City of Madison will begin a project to stabilize the drainage ditch along the Capital City Path from Starkweather Creek to Walter Street in late-November, 2012 (Contract 6469). This work will require the path to be closed to all bicycle and pedestrian traffic from Sugar Avenue (Olbrich Gardens) to Walter Street. There will be a marked bicycle detour beginning at Fair Oaks Ave and continuing on Ivy St, the path in OB Sherry Park, Starkweather Drive and Hargrove St to Walter St.

Work will proceed in two phases. The initial closure will begin as early as November 26 and continue through the winter to March 1, 2013. The path will then be reopened from March 1 to May 1 under interim conditions. These will likely require reduced speeds and extra caution. The final widening and re-paving of the path from Starkweather Creek to Walter St will begin around May 1, 2013 and will require the path to again be closed to all users for approximately three weeks.

We appreciate your patience during this period of necessary disruption. If you have questions about the closures or detour route, please contact Tom Mohr in Traffic Engineering by email - tmohr@cityofmadison.com - or at (608)267-8725. For questions about the overall ditch stabilization project, contact Max Conway in City Engineering by email or at (608)261-9127.

View the Detour Map
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bike Path Closing: Starkweather creek at Olbrich

Postby snoqueen » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:38 pm

That detour will work about as well as the one that went down Milw Street and up E. Wash to avoid the Fair Oaks/Atwood corner. Like, not at all.

What regular people will do:

cut through the back driveway of Olbrich Gardens (Sugar Ave) to Atwood. (alternate: Garrison St)

Use the Atwood sidewalk, which only has one driveway crossing (that's for mortals. Immortals may bike right on Atwood)

Go back up Walter Street and get on the bike path again.

The Ive Ave/Sherry Park route is scenic but doesn't make sense for a lot of destinations.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:44 pm

That was my first thought too; Wow, I wonder who's going to use THAT detour a second time.

I agree that drainage ditch needs a revamp but I'd sure like to see the transcript of the meeting that came up with that route.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:53 pm

And idea what are the plans for the drainage ditch? It could be a chance to "daylight" a longer segment of that little waterway, inviting more wildlife and extending the pretty part of Starkweather in new directions.

I've noticed quite a range of native plants along the ditch -- sumac and elderberries being some of the more obvious. They probably weren't put there deliberately by people, so they could be remnants of the pre-settlement vegetation, same as railroad rights-of-way tend to contain pre-settlement remnants. If so, they would appropriately be considered an enhancement to the larger Starkweather Creek nature area..

I've contacted the Engineering department with these questions and if I learn anything of interest I'll follow up here.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:15 pm

There can be some stink-o-rama sewer smells by there, I'll tell you what.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe