MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison driving peeves

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Madison driving peeves

Postby Ninja » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:31 pm

bdog wrote:73 in a 65? oh the humanity!

I.e., that's a bullshit stop.

It was a Cross Plains cop set up to nail commuters from other bedroom communities heading to Madison. Why fuck with the neighbors when you can get your revenue off the interlopers? Small town justice.
Ninja
Forum Addict

Postby BoogieBoy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:19 pm

You're right Ninja, it doesn't make sense to conform to unjust laws. It should be legal to go straight on red when you have a walk signal because nothing is blocking your path. It's an unnecessary inefficiency on the road. Let's fix it.
BoogieBoy

Postby Ninja » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:35 pm

BoogieBoy wrote:You're right Ninja, it doesn't make sense to conform to unjust laws.

Agreed.

BoogieBoy wrote:It should be legal to go straight on red when you have a walk signal because nothing is blocking your path.

What the fuck are you thinking?
Ninja
Forum Addict

Postby BoogieBoy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:13 am

I've communicated clearly.
BoogieBoy

Postby BoogieBoy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:36 am

There's even an obvious protest chant...

IF YOU'RE GOING STRAIGHT, YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO WAIT
BoogieBoy

Postby snoqueen » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:04 pm

Great. We can assume the people traveling at 90 degrees to your path shouldn't have to wait either, right? Fair is fair.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BoogieBoy » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:17 pm

Nah, straight on red with a don't walk sign is too dangerous.
BoogieBoy

Postby Big_Sister » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Expecting a south-central Wisconsin driver to use turn signals is like expecting a baboon to write differential equations.
Big_Sister

Postby Sandi » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:34 pm

Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:53 pm

BoogieBoy wrote:I've communicated clearly.

You have, and I appreciate your candor, but I'm still struggling to understand where you're coming from.

We already have a really great system in place to quickly and easily discern when it's safe and appropriate for cars to proceed through intersections - that's what those various colored round lights on poles are all about.

And you seem to understand that, but if you've somehow trained yourself to respond to walk signs instead, you need to break that training, not complain that the walk signs aren't complying with your own personal, individual crazy system.
Ninja
Forum Addict

Postby Ninja » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:54 pm

Big_Sister wrote:Expecting a south-central Wisconsin driver to use turn signals is like expecting a baboon to write differential equations.

At the very least, if you're making an optional, illegal, or totally insane turn, try to use a signal, Madison.
Ninja
Forum Addict

Postby BoogieBoy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:44 am

Ninja, it's not just me. I continue to observe drivers fooled by the walk sign. These aren't bad drivers. These are conditioned drivers who have had the traditional system changed on them without warning. The new system should be tweaked in the name of efficiency. Safety is top priority, efficiency is second. Having to wait at a red light for 10 extra seconds at Fairchild & West Washington when going straight is inefficient. Is it a huge deal? No. Is it realistic to expect a change? No, exemplified by your mind being blown.
BoogieBoy

Postby BoogieBoy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:48 am

Please explain to me how going straight on red with a walk sign is unsafe.
BoogieBoy

Postby jman111 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:53 am

BoogieBoy wrote:Please explain to me how going straight on red with a walk sign is unsafe.

Oncoming traffic could have a green left turn arrow (this is assuming the walk signal is only on one side of the street- your left). I've seen this when waiting at a red light. The walk signal allows for peds crossing on my left and oncoming traffic has green to turn left (across your intended path).
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:06 am

Big_Sister wrote:Expecting a south-central Wisconsin driver to use turn signals is like expecting a baboon to write differential equations.

I resent this: I always use my turn signal when I blow past you at 80mph and slice into the lane front of you with centimeters to spare. ALWAYS. And then I turn the signal off, which seems to be as much a problem as not turning the damned thing on around here.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe