MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Train Horns Getting Louder?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Train Horns Getting Louder?

Postby TimeMasterFlex » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:06 pm

Trains have the right to use their horns EVEN IF IN A TOTAL QUIET ZONE, if the conductor feels the need to. :lol:

Bottomline, if TRAIN HORNS BOTHER YOU, DO NOT MOVE NEAR TRACKS. :!:

The tracks were there before you got to where you moved. I guarantee it. Do your homework before you choose a place to live. :evil:

I am so tired of train-hater liberals WHINING over and over about trains.
TimeMasterFlex

Postby fennel » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:01 pm

C'mon, TMF! Are you implying you even know what a train whistle is?? That would blow your whole cover.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keaoe023 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:44 pm

hink about it...rougher type blue-collar train engineer from Utica, rolling through the isthmus at midnight, thinking about all the hippies calling to complain about him.
keaoe023

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:01 am

Umm....I already wrote that? Come up with your own material or find another club, okay kid.

Hink about that.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby iwiw99 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:10 am

The trains are back at night.

I wondered the same until I saw union rail guys protesting, whether that was WSOR I don't know.

It would be an interesting story if Gardner (Walker supporter), decided to give those loons, (me), a wake up, then they would sleep late and miss the rally.
Last edited by iwiw99 on Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby iwiw99 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:13 am

woops,

Hink you.
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:42 pm

Given the cuts in the state budget, I would be disinclined to believe either of them if they promised to make quiet zones a priority. Keeping existing services at current levels will be challenge enough.

But....maybe they could try to wrangle some federal money for this purpose. It's about the only option left now.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby iwiw99 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:06 am

The quiet zones are budgeted. However the State is still deciding whether to close any Central Park road crossings and the plans for the park are not really final since high speed rail was a question. I will say that Mayor Dave is solidly behind the quiet zones while Soglin did not respond to my e-mail. I'll assume he is quite busy and don't really hold that against him.
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby koshka » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:13 pm

We're still waiting for quiet zones on the eastside. Mayor C removed the quiet zone behind Olbrich Gardens from the 2009 budget. If re-elected, I don't expect him to bring back our peace and quiet.
koshka

New Facebook and Google Groups Documenting Noise

Postby gimmesomepeace » Sun May 08, 2011 9:58 am

I am encouraging anyone who can to please document Wisconsin &
Southern Railroad's use of horns in our community through video,
audio, and log notes. The use of horns in excess of 20 seconds, or exceeding the pattern of two long, one short, one long blast should be shared via YouTube and either shared via the email list or on the Facebook page (both listed below). Also, if you are unsure whether the horns are in compliance with federal regulations, you can find those rules below as well. Thank you!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tell-Wisconsin-Southern-Railroad-to-Give-Us-Some-Peace/160187944045947
http://groups.google.com/group/tell-wisconsin--southern-railroad-to-give-us-some-peace/
Title 49: Transportation, PART 222—USE OF LOCOMOTIVE HORNS AT PUBLIC HIGHWAY-RAIL GRADE CROSSINGS 49 Code of Federal Regulations 222 http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=501afa2a2e2e68236f222a81086b6201&rgn=div6&view=text&node=49:4.1.1.1.17.2&idno=49

Subscribe to Email Distribution List: tell-wisconsin--southern-railroad-to-gi ... groups.com
gimmesomepeace

Documenting Noise from Train Horns

Postby gimmesomepeace » Sun May 08, 2011 8:22 pm

I have started both a Facebook page and Google Group (for those who are not on Facebook) with the goal of documenting train horn noise from Wisconsin & Southern Railroad Company in our community. Please join and share audio, video, and written documentation of the noise including the date, time, and location. This documentation is necessary in order to compel city, state, and federal officials as well as the railroad company to provide us with some relief from excessive noise from train horns. Federal regulations regarding when and how horns should be used can be found here if you would like to know what is allowable under the law: http://goo.gl/KYRCX (49 Code of Federal Regulations 222) Note that horns lasting more than 20 seconds before a crossing, or that continue after the locomotive has entered the crossing, as well as that horns should sound in most situations in the following pattern: Two long, one short, one long.

Link to the new FB page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tell-Wisconsin-Southern-Railroad-to-Give-Us-Some-Peace/160187944045947
Subscribe to Email Distribution List: tell-wisconsin--southern-railroad-to-gi ... groups.com
or visit http://groups.google.com/group/tell-wisconsin--southern-railroad-to-give-us-some-peace/
gimmesomepeace

Postby koshka » Fri May 13, 2011 12:14 pm

Good luck with your effort to tame Wisconsin and Southern. The city working on the 2012 budget. Alder Rummel is trying to get the remaining quiet zones on the eastside into the budget. Contact her or your own alder if you support these quiet zones.
koshka

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri May 13, 2011 12:54 pm

I heard a train go by last night that didn't blow its horn. Just rang its bell constantly all the way down ... ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Fri May 13, 2011 3:03 pm

koshka wrote:Alder Rummel is trying to get the remaining quiet zones on the eastside into the budget. Contact her or your own alder if you support these quiet zones.

How much will it cost taxpayers?
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Fri May 13, 2011 3:11 pm

Ear plugs are cheap.

Or you could just jam an icepick into either side of your head, which is precisely what I feel like doing whenever this ridiculous issue is resurfaces like a phoenix ... or hemorrhoids ... or a phoenix with hemorrhoids.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe