MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

New Lien Rd Roundabout

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: New Lien Rd Roundabout

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:17 am

snoqueen wrote:And if you are using the roundabout during a busy part of the day, nobody's gonna let you merge outward.

I apologize in advance for quoting Ned, but it fits:

"Big Ben, kids. Parliament."
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Twofer4 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:25 am

snoqueen wrote:OK, I did the Google thing and found a four-point set of instructions on the WisDOT page. Rule two is this:

Stay in your lane; do not change lanes.

Here's a rule on the order of "wash, rinse, repeat" on your shampoo bottle. If you stay in your lane, and you are using the inside lane (the recommended way of going three-quarters of the way around the circle before exiting, the equivalent of a right turn-- see helpful diagram previously posted) YOU CANNOT LEAVE THE ROUNDABOUT WITHOUT BREAKING THE ABOVE RULE. And if you are using the roundabout during a busy part of the day, nobody's gonna let you merge outward. This is one of those times a 1987 Buick is your vehicle of choice. Why let somebody mess up your cute little Mini Cooper?

Of course, nobody is in the sky watching, so the sensible solution is do everything from the outer lane and be super-super careful not to get merged into. I agree, a sideswipe crash is better than a head-on, but who the hell wants to get their car totaled?

I didn't need to go to East Towne anyway.

If you enter a roundabout and go "three-quarters" of the way around the circle before exiting, you're peforming a LEFT TURN, NOT A RIGHT TURN. You DO NOT need to change lanes to exit. Which the diagram you apparently looked at but do not understand illustrates. NO RULES BROKEN!

They are only as challenging as you hand-wringing fools, lacking common sense, make them.
Twofer4
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:26 am

Twofer4 wrote:If you enter a roundabout and go "three-quarters" of the way around the circle before exiting, you're peforming a LEFT TURN, NOT A RIGHT TURN. You DO NOT need to change lanes to exit. Which the diagram you apparently looked at but do not understand illustrates. NO RULES BROKEN!

They are only as challenging as you hand-wringing fools, lacking common sense, make them.

If the exit road is two lanes yes. I believe quite a few of them are only one but if I recall the one we're talking about is two lanes in all directions.

However, if you're in the inside lane to take a left turn, don't you have to cross the outer one when you leave? If traffic won't let you cross, don't you have to stop until it does?

I do appreciate all you smart people being so patient with my poor little brain. Cause it now sounds to me like there's two situations, low traffic and high traffic.

In low traffic you take the inside lane and cross the outer one to finish the left turn. In high traffic, get in the outer lane and stay there till your exit comes up.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:04 am

If there's only one lane exiting the roundabout and two lanes circling, then you might be in a parallel universe.

But the rule of "sucks to be you" does have a tendency to come into play with roundabouts. If you don't plan ahead, and just lazily enter into the wrong lane, then guess what?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:09 am

However, if you're in the inside lane to take a left turn, don't you have to cross the outer one when you leave? If traffic won't let you cross, don't you have to stop until it does?

There won't be anyone in that lane when you "cross" it. You're actually just going straight. Any traffic entering next to you will have already turned right or gone straight. Any traffic entering after you will have yielded to you and will be behind you not beside you. I guess if someone from the right entered and sped up along side of you there could be a problem but in the 30 feet you're driving they'd have to be driving like the biggest asshole on the planet.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Twofer4 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:28 am

The Lien Rd roundabout is two lanes, which are the only kind I've encountered in Madison. Though the single lane would be even easier to navigate since you would only have to make sure you yield to the traffic from the left as you enter.

Again, the diagram answers all the questions being repeated here. Whether there is high or low volume the rules remain the same. Please stop over-thinking it! Drivers that constantly change their behavior when dealing with roundabouts are a problem.
Twofer4
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:39 am

fisticuffs wrote:

There won't be anyone in that lane when you "cross" it. You're actually just going straight. Any traffic entering next to you will have already turned right or gone straight.

Wait a minute. You get into the outside lane to go straight, which means you go past the exit which would be the right turn for you but the left turn for me. Does that not mean there might be a car or several cars all meandering past the point where I want to turn?

I swear I've been on roundabouts that are two lanes on the circle and one lane at the exit but if no one else has ever seen one of those then I guess I'm misremembering.

Oh, and why did you put quotes around the word "cross?" Does that mean I'm really not crossing it?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:53 am

rabble wrote:Oh, and why did you put quotes around the word "cross?" Does that mean I'm really not crossing it?

Correct.

Really--the lines on the pavement aren't for show. They actually mean things. Look at the picture again.

The lane lines disappear when cars would be exiting the roundabout's inner lane. Follow the red arrow; is it crossing a lane line when it exits? That means the lanes allow for redirection out of the roundabout. You're "crossing," but you're not really crossing.

Twofer4 has it; observe the signs, observe the lane markings, and stop overthinking it! Pick up a motorists' handbook if you really are so uncomfortable with following lane markings as to hate roundabouts over it.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:54 am

edit:

Beat me to it. The picture says it all. Perhaps if that doesn't clear it up for you we can find an animated version.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maeve » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:08 am

I'll be the roundabout
The words will make you out 'n' out
I spend the day your way
Call it morning driving thru the sound and
In and out the valley

Yes, whee! I took it yesterday. It's very well-marked, it works.
Maeve
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:27 am

Yeah, I think I got it now. It finally clicked.

There's never going to be a line of cars coming from the bottom and going straight at the same time as a line of cars coming from the top is trying to turn left. So there's always going to be room.

Okay. Sorry for all the confusion. I thought those diagrams were showing the best possible traffic situation when actually they're showing the only possible traffic situations. It's finally sunk in.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:38 pm

What the diagram does not show, however, is anyone entering the intersection from the left or right sides of the roadway, i.e. the cross street. That screws it up.

If a car entering on the right side of the roadway is also "going straight," then the red car exiting at the top of the diagram is crossing the path of the car that just entered. Same situation if a car enters at the top of the diagram and wants to go straight. The red car exiting on the left has just crossed that car's path.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:43 pm

If a car entering on the right side of the roadway is also "going straight," then the red car exiting at the top of the diagram is crossing the path of the car that just entered. Same situation if a car enters at the top of the diagram and wants to go straight. The red car exiting on the left has just crossed that car's path.

The Red entering from the right car has to YIELD!
God this is the dumbest ass thread we've ever had. You should never be side by side in a roundabout unless you entered at the same time from the same direction in which case both cars are free to go straight. Really you think you just came up with some fatal flaw in this design that hasn't already been mulled over by the professionals who built it or the millions of people who have been using these successfully in Europe forever?

Roundabouts work. Period. If you can't figure out how to drive in one you need to have your license reconsidered because you are a moran.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:47 pm

And for god's sake, don't rent a car in a left-side driving country like Ireland or England. You'll be expected to understand much larger and complicated roundabouts, going around them clockwise.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:55 pm

There's really way too much concern here with the other cars in the roundabout. All you need to worry about is yielding to the left. That's it. Don't even look at or worry about any other cars but the one to your left. Period.

1 lane roundabout rules:
Yield to your left.

2 lane roundabout rules:
Yield to your left
Don't turn left from the right lane.
Don't turn right from the left lane (pretty standard at traditional intersections I might add).

There's really nothing else to it.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe