MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Highway M expansion

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Highway M expansion

Postby WestSideYuppie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:59 pm

A certain basic amount of car traffic is just the byproduct of setting up an economy in which most households need two or more incomes, and to change jobs periodically, just to stay afloat. Granted, there’s more traffic than that. But the increase in traffic with rising population can’t be entirely offset by public transportation, cycling, walking, etc., in any practical way.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:23 pm

Crockett wrote:Do they need that campus? There are a LOT of companies much larger than Epic that work in one city block.

Size doesn't equal green. Those companies that fill up only one block could be much more energy inefficient, use less recycled materials and create more traffic congestion than the Epic campus. You lost this one hands down. Back up your words and maybe then you'll have an argument. Oh wait, you don't do that.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:37 am

green union terrace chair wrote:Did Verona give Epic some sick tax breaks? Even if they insisted on being in some broad open space, it is a mystery to me why Judy would choose Verona instead of Sun Prairie or DeForest based solely on the amount (and duration) of cab rides between Epic and Truax.

My understanding is that she lives out towards Dodgeville and bikes to work on the Military Ridge Trail. That might have been a factor in choosing the Verona location.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Crow » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:58 am

Dig through the old Isthmus articles and you can get a sense of why Judy chose Verona. This one, from 2002, lays out the conversation at the time.

It's simple, Epic wanted a big, beautiful, sprawling campus. Verona had the space and was willing to cut the deals. Madison never had a chance.
Crow
Forum Addict

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:58 am

Crow wrote:Dig through the old Isthmus articles and you can get a sense of why Judy chose Verona. This one, from 2002, lays out the conversation at the time.

It's simple, Epic wanted a big, beautiful, sprawling campus. Verona had the space and was willing to cut the deals. Madison never had a chance.

I remember reading that article way back when but just skimmed it again. I suppose even more than planning for space for immediate needs, Epic wanted space for projected needs. That 2002 article says they had 700 employees. I believe it might be nearly three times that now.

My solutions up above might have worked in the short to medium term, but I can see how Epic would want to be assured of long-term room to grow. I'd love to know their employment projections for five or ten years from now.

They still shoulda built out in a north or eastside suburb nearer to the airport and airlifted Judy's house closer to that location.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:27 pm

Crow wrote:It's simple, Epic wanted a big, beautiful, sprawling campus.

Just like everyone wants a big, sprawling McMasion. This is not a 'green' or 'sustainable' mentality.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:49 pm

Judy, Judy, Judy....
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:14 pm

I drive M or alternative routes north to the Deming Way area every day. The bottleneck problems on M in the morning are not going south to Verona, nor are there that many problems going north in the afternoon rush. The problems are the opposite. All this talk about Epic is irrelevant to the issue of expanding M.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:38 pm

Crockett wrote:
Crow wrote:It's simple, Epic wanted a big, beautiful, sprawling campus.

Just like everyone wants a big, sprawling McMasion. This is not a 'green' or 'sustainable' mentality.

Yeah, people are wicked (or stupid, or short-sighted, or what have you) because they want a big house with a big yard.

Aside from that, M needs work because of the traffic congestion that's already there. It's not like doing nothing will stop the sprawl. That ship has sailed, sorry to say.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe