MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 32.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Woodman's East Parking Lot

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Woodman's East Parking Lot

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:22 pm

I think the point of my original post may have gotten lost in some highly entertaining responses.

I was more curious to see whether anyone else feels unsafe parking in the Woodman's parking lot at night- . I can't quote how many instances have been reported, but in my small world I've heard of a number of "close calls", read about a few robberies, and seen alot of shady folks loitering in the parking lot. I'm curious as to whether this is my perception or whether its shared by others that go there or live in the neighborhood.
In my opinion, parts of that parking lot are just unsafe and it seems that a business the size of Woodman's could afford to invest in some security. I wouldn't expect a security force to do much more than make it a less desirable place to stake out victims and show a minimal amount of concern for its patrons.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:38 pm

I've felt unsafe there for years. Only went there once or twice because the place made such a bad impression on me. Once, years ago, I was just visiting, staying at a hotel. Friends told me to go to Woodman's for snacks, instead of Sentry. (It was late at night.) I can still remember my gut feeling, that night.

I keep hearing the West side Woodman's is so much better. Anyone care to say why?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Exploding Pinto » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:50 pm

So why have you felt unsafe there for years, Bwis?
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby CocoaPuffBrown » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:04 pm

admin wrote:As opposed to Copp's, where every day is a freakin' fashion show.

No, that would be the COOP and Whole Foods. Their market is uptight and privileged yuppie whites.
CocoaPuffBrown

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:11 pm

Good. An unnecessary racial element. That's what this conversation needs.

I've never felt unsafe in the Woodman's East parking lot. There are always cart jockeys out there that, even if they aren't security, at least lend the air of "this business is monitoring the situation." Also an air of "you weren't planning on leaving this parking spot, were you?"

Woodman's West is "better" because it's got more pasture to roam, so to speak. The lights are better, the storefront is taller--thus reflecting more light than the night sky above the low-slung East building. It's been renovated, so it looks nicer.

But I work in a prison, so I'm surrounded and outnumbered by felons on a daily basis. Me and Stebben are total badasses.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:23 pm

Women get mugged in Woodman's East parking lot and a bunch of guys say they never felt endangered.

Nice.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:25 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I keep hearing the West side Woodman's is so much better. Anyone care to say why?

West side muggers donate everything to Charity:

Actually my guess is it's the old Madison feeling that everything West side is clean and everything East side is dirty. It sort of makes sense when you consider that the weather typically blows all the free-range garbage East. That and hippies.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Exploding Pinto » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:59 pm

For what it's worth, the latest incident doesn't appear to have happened in the parking lot from the way the report is written.

http://www.cityofmadison.com/incidentreports/incidentDetail.cfm?id=11262
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:40 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Women get mugged in Woodman's East parking lot and a bunch of guys say they never felt endangered.

Nice.

I'm sorry; did the original post seek to limit intended respondents to women? I like you, Henry. Don't stoop to bullshit attacks.

Also, it's worth noting that in the last two years, Woodman's East has seen 2 thefts, 2 robberies, and a bomb threat, while Woodman's West has seen 4 thefts and an arrest for attempted theft. Hardly a huge disparity.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:55 pm

Both Woodman's are holes. We only go to East for a some items since it's close to where we live. Never for meat or produce. My wife won't go to Woodman's on the weekend or after dark. I don't like her to go there at all without me.

I've never been to the Woodman's without seeing someone I arrested or know through "professional contact", which is why I carry Austrian Express.

Don't leave home without it.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:06 pm

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:I was more curious to see whether anyone else feels unsafe parking in the Woodman's parking lot at night

To answer your question directly. No. I feel no more unsafe(or safe depending on how you phrase it) than most other parking lots, ramps, or sidewalks at night. That would be here in Madison or many other cities. If there were crimes on a very regular basis there, than it would be a different story. But I also don't object to a private security car being hired to drive around the lot. I do see this in other big lots.

Henry Vilas wrote:Women get mugged in Woodman's East parking lot and a bunch of guys say they never felt endangered.

Nice.

I actually know a male who was robbed in the East Woodman's parking lot, so I don't think that card can be played.

I was actually robbed with two friends at knife point in Chicago in a nice area, at dusk, on a very busy street. I Would have never thought it would happen under those circumstances. I bring this up cause you never really know when someone's gonna do it.

As a side note, I've been told that you call it a mugging when your are physically assaulted. Otherwise, you've just been robbed. Not that it matters. Maybe I'm wrong and Walter can correct the semantics.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:42 pm

Stebben84 wrote:As a side note, I've been told that you call it a mugging when your are physically assaulted. Otherwise, you've just been robbed. Not that it matters. Maybe I'm wrong and Walter can correct the semantics.

I would hazard a guess "mugged" to most people means some force or threat of it was used during the robbery.

We use these:

Robbery is when someone demands money (Crook: "Gimme your wallet!") and you give to them ("OK. Here, take it.").

Strong Armed Robbery is when someone physically takes something of value using force (Crook: "Gimme your wallet!" <punch to the face and takes wallet out of your pocket>) or the threat of force (Crook: "Gimme your wallet or I'll fuck you up! <cocks fist back as if to punch in face> Victim: "OK. Here, take it".).

Armed Robbery is when someone uses a weapon (Crook: "Gimme your wallet!" <points gun in victim's face>) or implies they have a weapon (Crook: "Gimme your wallet!" <reaches into waistband or the classic points finger inside jacket pocket at victim>) while committing a robbery.

Usually people incorrectly say they've been robbed when someone has entered a dwelling or business to steal or with the intent to steal or commit a felony. That's a burglary.

If someone picks your pocket or takes something off you, that's Theft From a Person, which is a felony.

Semantically, in any of these cases, somebody took your shit. In the words of Baron Von Raschke: "AND THAT'S ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW!"

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:03 pm

Walter wrote:Semantically, in any of these cases, somebody took your shit. In the words of Baron Von Raschke: "AND THAT'S ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW!"

That sums it up perfectly.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:27 pm

Exploding Pinto wrote:So why have you felt unsafe there for years, Bwis?

Poor lighting and a layout that looks attractive to potential robbers.During my Chicago years, parking lot robberies made the news a lot.Cops will tell you to park in well lit areas, near lots of people and to be aware of your surroundings. Wherever I went, I had my favorite "safe parking spots".
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:50 pm

You can avoid these hassles by using Peapod.com and Metcalfe's delivery service.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe