MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Monday, April 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Coveted pads

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Coveted pads

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:37 pm

On the 400 block of Carroll, between Gilman and Gorham. Somebody told me a long time ago that it was "tied up in escrow," whatever that means. Someone maintains the grounds to keep it from looking like Boo Radley's house, but I don't think anyone has lived in there until I started noticing it in like 1990.

The overlooked gems are the tidy side yard and the driveway/garage that would make living in that part of downtown totally bearable.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Coveted pads

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:52 pm

by the way: I swiped that image from Google streetview and urge you to do the same instead of describing your ideal abode as "You know, the red brick number just down the street from that place that used to fly the huge Packer flag on Chamberlin."
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:55 pm

Somebody told me it was for sale but I can't find a listing anywhere online. I would totally hold awesome parties on the roof in the summer.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chance » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:56 pm

That house (415 N. Carroll) belonged to Dr. Reginald Jackson, founder of Jackson Clinic. It looks, from the assessor's records, liked it passed from his estate to a charitable foundation in 1987, both the State Medical Society and Northwestern University soon ended up with an interest in it, and then within a year or so it was bought from them by the ubiquitous Jerome & Carol Mullins, who seem to still own it.

Here's what I don't get:
2008 assessment - land: $318,000, improvements: $480,000 - total $798,000
2009 assessment - land: $318,000, improvements: $ 80,000 - total: $398,000

How'd they swing that? I'd say the improvements still look pretty good.
chance
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:35 pm

1016 Jenifer St.

Love the renovation. The Google Street View shows just how much of a pit it used to be.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Eastsider » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:08 pm

No one has lived in the Jackson house since his mother died in the 1950s.
Eastsider
Forum Addict

Postby crevice beatle » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:37 pm

Ok, not all that dazzling... but this place reminds me of something I'd see as a kid and say "I wanna live there!". I realize the image isn't great but it is indeed grass you see growing on the roof. Haven't gotten close enough to see if "Baggins" is written on the mailbox. An old coworker of mine told me that him and his friends used to ride off the roof on their bikes and sled off in winter, inciting the owner to come out shaking his fist in the air as they took off laughing.

crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:06 pm

That dirt roof place reminds me of a hillside near Owen Conservation Park. Back in the '50's, an old miser lived in a place like that.

We've talked about the Mullins owned place before. I rented parking space from Mr. Mullins, in '03. I asked him about the place next door and it's status. I shit you not, he said "What place?" The place has had a aura about it for decades.

I'd love some central, yet quiet garden house.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:53 am

crevice beatle wrote:Ok, not all that dazzling... but this place reminds me of something I'd see as a kid and say "I wanna live there!". I realize the image isn't great but it is indeed grass you see growing on the roof. Haven't gotten close enough to see if "Baggins" is written on the mailbox. An old coworker of mine told me that him and his friends used to ride off the roof on their bikes and sled off in winter, inciting the owner to come out shaking his fist in the air as they took off laughing.

I've met the owner; she's a widow, but I can't confirm if it was your pals' bike-riding exploits that did her husband in. So they'll just have to live with the guilt.

She's a super-cool lady; among other things, she was the first woman IT professional at UW's Division of Information Technology (the infamous 'DoIT').

And no, her last name isn't Baggins. It's something Germanic.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:02 am

rrnate wrote:
Somebody told me it was for sale but I can't find a listing anywhere online. I would totally hold awesome parties on the roof in the summer.

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby frozenCow » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:19 pm

Marvell wrote:
crevice beatle wrote:Ok, not all that dazzling... but this place reminds me of something I'd see as a kid and say "I wanna live there!". I realize the image isn't great but it is indeed grass you see growing on the roof. Haven't gotten close enough to see if "Baggins" is written on the mailbox. An old coworker of mine told me that him and his friends used to ride off the roof on their bikes and sled off in winter, inciting the owner to come out shaking his fist in the air as they took off laughing.

I've met the owner; she's a widow, but I can't confirm if it was your pals' bike-riding exploits that did her husband in. So they'll just have to live with the guilt.

She's a super-cool lady; among other things, she was the first woman IT professional at UW's Division of Information Technology (the infamous 'DoIT').

And no, her last name isn't Baggins. It's something Germanic.

This house was designed and built by Gerry Klodt. Gerry wrote a book on how to build earth shelter homes in the late 70s and he built this house on Stevens St in the early 80s. I knew him when he and his wife were living there in the mid 80s, and he gave me a tour once back then.

Gerry was ahead of his time when it came to concern about energy conservation and environmentalism. Actually, he was probably still in tune with those ideas from the first environmental movement of the early 1970s (while everybody else totally forgot about them in the 1980s). He liked earth shelter homes because they were efficient to heat and cool. The house was featured in a Wisconsin State Journal story back then too. In the WSJ story he said that earth shelter homes do not have to be “dark and dreary places”. They printed interior photos to prove his point. When I was there it did have plenty of light coming in from the windows. He also made good use of space, so it seemed larger inside than you would think.

I recall him saying that when he first built it, his neighbors were not too keen on the idea. They were always on him to mow his roof. He was against that, because his intention was to leave it in a natural state (prairie grasses and wild flowers, I would assume). I can’t recall if he ever finally broke down and mowed it to humor the neighbors. I have since lost touch with Gerry, but I know he no longer owns the house.
frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:09 am

I've wondered from time to time why earth-shelter homes aren't more popular. Maybe because of the perception that it would be dark and dreary, but as mentioned, that doesn't have to be the case.

Think of the positives-- energy efficiency chief among them, but also shelter from violent storms. While I'm sure a direct hit from a tornado would do some damage, would you see the entire structure get lifted into the vortex like a wood-frame house? Would you need to take a snow rake to the roof at this time of year? Guessing not.

Is it substantially more expensive to build? Other negatives?

Is goat feed expensive?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:01 am

In the 70's when the first "mole house" craze was happening, we didn't have the insulation and waterproofing technology we have today. For this reason, many of the "mole houses" eventually leaked (either from above or below) and got damp and moldy inside.

Today materials and techniques are much improved. Even in a conventional house, the basement gets layers of insulation and waterproofing and is consequently just as comfortable and liveable as the upstairs. So the drawbacks of underground housing are much less.

A layer of dirt on top of a building is great insulation, of course, though modern insulation is a lot lighter and for that reason requires less structural modification than earth-sheltered ever did.

The big thing today is not underground building so much as green roof technology. Some green roofs can be retrofitted on existing buildings (though they too require adding about 25 lbs/sf to the structural capacity of a common, up-to-code but-only-to-code building). A plus for green roofs is you can put them on buildings of any height, not just single-story.

The goal of green roofs is, of course, is as much about mitigating water runoff as insulation and alleviating the urban "heat island" effect, but it's still another development along the same line of reasoning: let earth and plants do some of the weatherizing for us.

Incidentally, the old Badger Bus station at Bedford and West Wash was, in its day, considered progressive because it was semi-earth sheltered. An earthen berm went about halfway up the walls facing Bedford and facing W. Wash, giving it a very low profile and low eaves on those two sides. I never saw any estimate of how much energy that saved, if any, but the idea was to allow the earth to buffer temperature swings in both summer and winter.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:19 pm

I covet garages. There's an old brown 2-story house on Waubesa right next to the Kipp parking lot that has the coolest garage/shop in the back. I think it has access doors from their driveway and from the Kipp lot. Post a picture?? Sorry, that's way beyond me.

The red brick modernish house on Riverside appears to have a garage with a ramp that goes down into the basement. That's my ideal.

Book's Jenifer st. house has a great studio in the back, visible from behind Natures Bakery.

House-wise I'd love any of the mid-century moderns on Plymouth Circle that back up to Hoyt Park.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:43 pm

The Church
(corner of N. Butler and N. Hamilton)

This place is currently a five or six bedroom apartment up top and a four or so bedroom apt in the basement. The whole sanctuary is one big living room with a kitchen built into one corner. One of the bedrooms is the former choir loft.

With a lot of money to throw away, this would be an awesome mansion.

btw, great thread idea, Jason.

EDIT: Found the listing for this place: http://www.madisonproperty.com/apt_info ... 12&Stat=13

Be sure to check out the virtual tour. It's amazing the space inside that place.
Attachments
the_church.jpg
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe