MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Wanted: expert haircutter/stylist

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Wanted: expert haircutter/stylist

Postby Madsci » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:31 pm

I visited Julie at Hair Paradise for my hair cut. She even remembered me from the last time which was 2 years ago. Sweet.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby beenie » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:09 pm

I love Miss Robyn at Cha Cha (she's at the downtown location). I'm awful at describing the style I want, but my hair always comes out perfect. Same for color. I gave her a description of what I wanted, she showed me the color swatches, made suggestions based on what I'd said, and absolutely nailed the exact shade I was looking for. She's awesome!
beenie
Forum Addict

Postby Bambition » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:13 pm

On the far west side you can go to the stylist who taught lovely Robyn. Jason at Anui is master of scissors and color. There is nothing he cannot do and his taste is impeccable.
Bambition

Postby BeatBox » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:22 am

beenie wrote:I love Miss Robyn at Cha Cha (she's at the downtown location).

I'd really love to see Robyn but her chair is right next to a woman I've seen and know from around the way but do not want to ever touch my hair again. I have guilt about abandoning this hairstylist and can't let her see me at Cha Cha and not going to see her. Am I nuts? (Not in general, but about this specific issue.)
BeatBox

Postby DjFoundation » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:21 pm

I've worked with a fair amount of stylists in the past on various fashionable endeavors. Studio Z is a great place for contemporary fashion, but I have to give a shout to my girl Christie at Moxie hair salon. I've known her for years, and she's one of the very best.

My other favorites are Bentley at Aniu (she's a master colorist) and Brandon at Cha Cha.

hope this helps!

*edit: oops, skimming too fast, didn't see the search was concluded already. my favs still stand!
DjFoundation

Postby Thusnelda » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:06 pm

Annnnd... it's time for the yearly "find me a stylist!" bump.

My former stylist, friend and neighbor Miss Jenny has moved away, so I am in need of a new stylist. Reading through these recommendations, Philip looks perfect, but I'd like some other suggestions in case I can't get in to see him. Me: chin-length straight hair and a lot of it, very low-maintenance (so nothing that will require frequent upkeep, a blowdryer or multiple products). Downtown is a plus, but anywhere is fine.

Also, could someone suggest another stylist for my mom, who also went to Jenny? She has very short hair and is also very low-maintenance, but she could use someone with a bit of style (because a good haircut will *cough* go very far and need to last for a while). She will gladly pay for a good cut, but $40 is probably her limit. I think the most important thing aside from skill/competence is to have someone friendly and comfortable -- natural style, fun but not loud, good for a classy middle-aged dame who doesn't put a lot of stock in Appearances but knows how to turn it on when needed. Near west is a big plus.

Yes, we are both special snowflakes.

Thanks!
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:39 am

After experimenting with various stylists around Madison (Cha Cha, Elevation, Thorps) I had a wonderful experience with Ian at Cameo.

Because they were able to squeeze me in on two hours notice, I was a little apprehensive about whomever was going to cut my hair. But I've never had a more attentive stylist than Ian. He went above and beyond to show me how I can make my new haircut look amazing if I had time or for a special occasion; however, he also listened carefully to what I needed (something with zero maintenance) and cut accordingly.

I didn't feel like I was being rushed out of there, which seems to happen frequently if one is not a regular customer. In fact, I felt pampered. The cut was exactly what I asked for and he explained what he was doing the whole time. He showed me how to use the products he was putting in my hair but he also let me know how I could get by or get similar results without using those products.... I liked that approach better than at most salons where I feel pressured to buy.

Also, although he was friendly and sweet, he wasn't overly talkative and was very professional. I appreciated that he let me relax and read a magazine rather than peppering me with standard issue small talk.

Plus, I was pleasantly surprised at the low charge. $35! this may be indicative of his tenure at the salon and perhaps it's shifted up (I went there about a month ago) but it was much less than my haircuts had been at most of the other salons I mentioned, yet he put in nearly double the time.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby chris! » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:51 am

Hybrid Salon on West Wash is pretty good.
chris!

Postby kittenwithawhip » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:24 am

Bonnie at Designs by the Bay, who is not only unafraid but actually always excited by the prospect of taming my unruly hair.
She never talks me into anything I am uncomfortable with and will gently talk me out of some of my more over the top ideas.
"Yes Kitten, going from dark brown to platimum blonde might be interesting, but lets start with just a few chestnut streaks today and you can decide later if you want to add more. Then we can gradually lighten it." Actual conversation. I decided the streaks were even too much and let them grow out.
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby peapod888 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:17 pm

I pretty much ONLY see Kelly Z for my hair needs. She also does lots of my friends' hair and I've never heard of anyone having a bad experience with her. Plus she's an awesome gal. She's currently at Thorps (608-467-2222) or you can always email her at hairbykelly (at) yahoo (dot) com.

She's actually doing my hair/color again on Wednesday night and I cannot wait. Woot!
peapod888

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:35 pm

Ms Vilas has been going to Hair Pizzazz at 21 N Butler St. for years. She completely trusts Milt with her hair. As for me, I haven't had a haircut in over four years; that's so when people ask me how long it's been since I've retired, I just point to my ponytail and say "this long."
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jademan7 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:50 pm

Debbie Hanson at Aniu. She is always correct on her suggestions and is a great person to talk to while she's cutting your hair. One of the most talented stylists in town.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Town Vibe