MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Monday, April 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

East Washington..... anything coming?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: East Washington..... anything coming?

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:39 am

yeah really stoked to eat farm fresh food grown above east wash traffic and directly across from MG&E smoke stacks...

Yeah illman, so much better to stick with the usual chinese-grown produce, zilpaterol-enhanced beef, or crap-fed chicken available at the typical American grocery store.

Food is a gamble. That's why I eat as little of it as possible.

On the 800 block subject, I don't understand T Wall. In a city where developers are constantly trying to build taller buildings and complaining about the inevitable resistance they get, here's a site where the city is actually asking for more height, with a very well-received 12 story project coming together right next door..... and the guy offers up a 5-story proposal?

And then tries to sell it as the best project because it's more in scale with the neighborhood? Did I mention the 12-story building going up next door that has been mostly welcomed by the entire east side?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:06 pm

T. Wall did make some strange choices on that proposal. It was not only way shorter than the neighborhood allows, but also had a derivative, faux-old-timey look that didn't attract much enthusiasm. (It tried to refer to the red-brick grocery warehouse at Paterson-E Wash, I think. That building exists, and we'll have to work around/with it at some point, but not here and not now.)

Maybe he thought the smaller proposal had better chances for economic success. I don't know. In a business that's all about taking calculated risks, it was odd.

I liked city staff's choice, and it's terrific we have a good array of options. Even knowing which ones are not favored is useful information for the next round of proposals on the next open property.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby illman808 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:47 pm

Cheap shots and assumptions on tdp, reminds me why i don't post often. I'll stick with my CSA(Kings Hill Farm this year) and coop thank you. See y'all next year.
illman808

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:06 pm

illman808 wrote:Cheap shots and assumptions on tdp, reminds me why i don't post often.

No, it's called responses and facts. And you do realize that some of the more polluted lakes in Wisconsin are up north because of something called wind that brings Mercury from MKE and CHI power plants up there. This has nothing to do with the vicinity of the power plant.

So you can get off your high horse and appreciate that a company is trying to do something good with respect to the environment. But I guess your against urban farming. Too bad, because I think it's a great idea. See you next year.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:17 pm

illman, do you eat food grown in gardens located a similar distance from the old power plant? Do you smoke pot grown downtown? Do you lie on the grass, or let your kid or dog play on it?

Reminds me of 40 years ago when a friend brought back some pot he'd bought in Chicago. Tasted just like bus exhaust.

The air is a whole lot cleaner now due to emissions controls and removing the lead from gasoline, for those who don't remember the bad old days. It's all comparative, and none of it perfect. At least we aren't living in Beijing.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby illman808 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:10 pm

no, no and no. sorry, didn't mean to interrupt the circle jerk of the 10 people that post here these days. carry on and keep your stick on the ice. ok, now it'll be in 2 years
illman808

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:12 pm

Remember, this is just a staff recommendation. And all three proposals want to lift the limit on TIF grants.

All three proposals need exceptions from a policy that limits tax incremental financing (TIF) aid to 50 percent of the new property taxes generated by the project during the life of the TIF district.

Gebhardt/Metcalfe’s is seeking $7.9 million in TIF, 123 percent of new property taxes; C.D. Smith $9.5 million, or 137 percent; and Wall $4 million, or 82 percent.

After the committee meeting Thursday, Otto Gebhardt said his request is a "negotiating point."

I hope the City Council is a tough negotiator.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:31 pm

illman808 wrote: now it'll be in 2 years

Bye.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:56 pm

illman808 wrote:Cheap shots and assumptions on tdp, reminds me why i don't post often.

You drop a one line cheap shot of your own on the thread and then get offended by a little smartassery in response? Enjoy your hiatus.

And there's at least 12 people jerking off in this circle, mister.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:40 am

snoqueen wrote:

Reminds me of 40 years ago....

The air is a whole lot cleaner now due to emissions controls and removing the lead from gasoline, for those who don't remember the bad old days.

Or 50 years ago when my grandparents lived in the old Greenbush neighborhood. They and many of their neighbors had coal furnaces. Within 24 hours after a fresh snowfall, the snow surface would be coated with this black and orange ...stuff...that came from burning coal. It was especially bad the closer you got to MG&E back in the day.

Little kids ate snow back then too. It's a wonder any of us are still around to be the subjects of illman's scorn.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:11 am

Metcalfe's union dispute spills over into East Wash development project

Guess what law office represents Metcalfe's? Michael Best and Friedrich of course. Also the proposal ask for double the normal TIF.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Big_Sister » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:13 pm

God knows I don't believe everything I read on the website linked below, but this item was new there about 25 minutes ago...

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 764bf.html
Big_Sister

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:41 pm

That's dramatic.

Note that it's not a done deal -- the TIF money hasn't been worked out yet for the phased proposal. But Gorman is not asking an outrageous sum compared with some other projects of the last decade, the market is better than it was in 07, and it looks like both parties have protected themselves reasonably well in arriving at the tentative deal as announced.

If we even manage to see Phase I (of four) completed, it'll be a great day. Phase I will break the ice and make the rest of the project, regardless of who does it or how it gets done, more likely.

We've seen a lot of drama over this little triangle of land and a lot of creative and surprising moves since it came into play almost a decade ago. Appreciation is due to all who worked on this project so far, and congratulations to the team that make the present announcement possible.

So who's going to be the neighborhood grocery?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:30 pm

His TIF request seems low but he's getting the land for free. This is surprising, considering the Don Miller lots are being sold to developers for something close to what the city has into them.

I hope for the best for the neighborhood's sake, but I've never been impressed with Gorman projects in the Madison area. They look cheap.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:53 pm

I have to agree I prefer the way Stonehouse's projects look. They've got a nice exterior treatment they've used several times on the Isthmus and it works well in that context.

If Gorman can't pull this project off, I will not be upset that we have Stonehouse next in line.

I have a feeling by time the triangle is all built up (years from now) we'll see more than one company's work, and that's fine with me. It looks more like a natural city that way.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe