MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Monday, April 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Parking monitors: you reap what you sow

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Postby PureVegieDude » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:27 pm

If you never ever want to have a parking problem or get a ticket, ride a bicycle.
If one insists on driving their death monster, aka car, everywhere and anytime than just shut up and suck it up in regards to parking. That's the price ya gotta pay.
PureVegieDude

Postby Darthcrank » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:13 pm

wolfsbane wrote:When are you going to get to the reaping part? Let me help you: "...then the delivery driver grabbed the parking nazi by the collar and proceeded to..." You get the idea. It should come 'round to a concluding sentence like: "I must confess, I had no idea a human body actually contained so much blood."

Seriously though, parking is one of the areas in which we tolerate far too much of a police state. There is little need for parking restrictions or enforcement of any kind, aside from one obvious rule: don't obstruct traffic. I lived in Germany years ago for a while and there were no elaborate parking rules and everything was fine - the sky did not rip open and the streets did not run red with the blood of the innocent. People parked every which way, half up on the curb and whatnot and no one was the worse for wear.

My view is that this is the kind of price we pay for being so averse to paying taxes. The primary purpose behind all this parking nonsense is raising revenue. It can't be about justice or enhancing our quality of life. Instead of everyone just paying their fair share, we have to live with a constant menacing pressure of a surveillance, enforcement, and having to navigate a bewildering array of technicalities, permits, meters, zones and restrictions.

Thanks, Wolfsbane. That was my experience in the UK as well. As a first time driver on the wrong side of the road, the way people parked astounded me at first, but then I realized that everything was working out just fine without insane parking restrictions or cops looking over your shoulder constantly.

Bottom line: revenue generation. The cost? Just a little more of the idea that we live in a "free" society.
Darthcrank
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Darthcrank » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:11 pm

PureVegieDude wrote:If you never ever want to have a parking problem or get a ticket, ride a bicycle.
If one insists on driving their death monster, aka car, everywhere and anytime than just shut up and suck it up in regards to parking. That's the price ya gotta pay.

Let us know in advance the next time you get in a car, I want to hunt you down and taunt you for your hypocrisy.

Our society needs cars, as much as I would love to give mine up, I *need* it to make a living and pay for your gaddamned high density urban living.

Instead of demonizing people that drive cars, how about creating jobs in the downtown area so I don't have to drive to the suburbs for work?

We both win. I'd love to give up the expense of driving, you see less people driving cars and more people getting maimed in bike accidents.
Darthcrank
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Town Vibe