MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

87.9 FM

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

87.9 FM

Postby jjoyce » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:50 am

Like many iPod users, I have one of these iTrip things that allows me to play my iPod through my car stereo. I have one of the newer deals that allows me to actually set my station up, but nothing seems to work as well as 87.9 FM.

The only interference I typically get is when I pass someone who is using his/her iPod similarly and I get a snippet of Kenny Chesney or Evanesence or something. This week, however, I've been picking up THESE NUTS from points west of the Beltline.

Deelightful!

They can't possibly be using that frequency legally, can they? Is this pirate radio? Is some kook broadcasting this stuff from an wirehanger antenna on top of his shed?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 87.9 FM

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:57 am

I don't think this guy leaves his bunker, nevermind a shack. Militia/doomsday scenario type. Look at the paid ads: water filters, wood stoves, shortwave, solar power... I actually have a lot of interaction with these folks, and they are fucked up. Seriously. Put one of 'em in jail, and they start railing against the government about secret trials and persecution and the Great and Ancient Writ of Habeas Corpus. They're a nightmare, especially because you just can't break through the crazy to actually rationalize with them.

jjoyce wrote:The only interference I typically get is when I pass someone who is using his/her iPod similarly and I get a snippet of Kenny Chesney or Evanesence or something.

Clahhssic.

PS I use an iTrip too, and I too use 87.9. You might want to try 107.1, though; that's what I use for my XM.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:05 am

I should check around a little to see if there's a good way to soup those things up. It seems ridiculous to me that the signal is so weak as to be overridden by a passing car.

I'm told in parts of CA where rush hour is particularly brutal, people have bumper stickers announcing their iTrip frequency so their neighbors in traffic can tune in.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:08 am

I think a reliable website that listed open FM frequencies for use by low-power transmitters would be very popular.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:21 am

jjoyce wrote:I'm told in parts of CA where rush hour is particularly brutal, people have bumper stickers announcing their iTrip frequency so their neighbors in traffic can tune in.

http://boingboing.net/2004/06/16/ipod_p ... io_bu.html
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:22 am

I'm gettin' me a NUKALERT just in case I miss the flash.
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:39 am

jjoyce wrote:This week, however, I've been picking up THESE NUTS from points west of the Beltline.

Jesus Christ but that's one of the ugliest sites I've ever seen!

Thanks a lot, JJ, ya jerk. Now I've got to go get me some Excedrin. A whole shitload of it.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:45 am

Chuck_Schick wrote:
jjoyce wrote:This week, however, I've been picking up THESE NUTS from points west of the Beltline.

Jesus Christ but that's one of the ugliest sites I've ever seen!

Thanks a lot, JJ, ya jerk. Now I've got to go get me some Excedrin. A whole shitload of it.

Hey, if you hit refresh a couple times, you'll get a banner ad for headache relief remedies. You know, because of all the ELF transmissions that are running through your fillings.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:47 am

Yeah, baby.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:53 am

Or maybe you could just do me the favor of unholstering your sidearm and putting a fucking bullet through my head, TBP. Aim true, my friend. Steady ...
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hardmf » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:10 pm

"My SIRIUS Frequency Finder is a free resource that you can use any time to find one or more potentially vacant FM frequencies. In most areas, we will give you a choice of up to five frequencies to try, ranked by how far away they are from other radio stations. My SIRIUS Frequency Finder can be used in the 48 contiguous states served by SIRIUS Satellite Radio"

http://fmchannel.sirius.com/
hardmf

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:11 pm

Thought this thread could use a revival with the recent arrest of a couple of anarchist dingbats in Rio.

Note: I know someone mentioned in this article! I'm not going to say whom, but suffice it to say, he's a NUT.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe