MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

That Swimming Pool Referendum

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

How'd you vote the referendum:

Poll ended at Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:12 pm

Yes
58%
No
32%
Left it blank
11%

Total votes : 19

Postby Angus » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:43 pm

spanky wrote:Elver is near Allied Drive like Michigan Avenue is near Cabrini Green!

Within walking and easy biking distance of Elver Park are many duplexes and apartment buildings with lower-income residents. (Just cruise the area bordered by McKenna Blvd., Schroeder Rd., Whitney Way, and Raymond Rd., for example.) These are the people you see shuffling around Woodman's in their bedroom slippers.

Not to say Elver is the *only* answer to the pool question, but it seems like a good choice.
Angus

Postby burstingsun » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:21 pm

The Elver Park area is in need of something. The pool is one possibility, especially given that the funding exists. Otherwise, a community center with activities open to both higher and lower income residents is needed, especially with children's activities. The pool or some other type of facility would provide a real opportunity to bring this neighborhood together. It's a diverse neighborhood where people in Section 8 or Section 42 housing live side-by-side with people in half-million dollar or more homes.

The west side is generally not lacking in low income residents. As stated in the previous post, the Elver Park area is rich with Section 42 and low-rent (at least compared to other rents, though seemingly not affordable) housing. The area just east of Elver Park has the highest volume of Section 8 voucher usage in the city, as well. However the west side is lacking in appropriate recreational activities for these residents. While I see the advantages of a centrally located pool and the reason some may desire to place it at Warner Park, I think that Elver Park needs to be given serious consideration, and if it's determined that the pool will go elsewhere, the area still needs some attention.

Many people think the west side is a bunch of rich, white folks who live in expensive condos or homes and drive expensive cars. Spend a couple of hours at Elver Park or the Kwik Trip up the street from there, and you will see the diversity. You'll also see all of the children who get into trouble because of the lack of appropriate activity available nearby.

Please feel free to disagree. I know there are good reasons to consider each location, but please don't forget the west side as the decisions are made.
burstingsun
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:19 pm

Thank you, burstingsun. Yes, this area is incredibly diverse in terms of races and incomes. Allied is within biking distance for the older elementary kids on up. Shuttlebus transport would make it possible for younger kids. Plus there are lots of kids and families in this area.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby burstingsun » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:46 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:The Goodman money is enough for one pool, but the city needs more, probably three. One northeast, one south central and one west. I say: Warner Park, Franklin Field, Elver and/or Garner Park, with Warner first.
Anyone else want to chime in?

Just curious, why Warner first?
burstingsun
Forum God/Goddess

Postby femhalo » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:01 pm

I'm surprised there is no Goodman Pool thread, since today is the opening day (unless I cant find it).

Anyway, anyone know of any good pictures of the opening day?
femhalo
Forum Addict

Postby AlphaLiberal » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:35 pm

Interesting.

Here are some Madison pool pictures:
http://flickr.com/search/?q=Madison+Wis ... ool&m=text
AlphaLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government