MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 37.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Wray wants Heimsness fired -- but not for shooting Heenan

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Wray wants Heimsness fired -- but not for shooting Heena

Postby lukpac » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:58 pm

Wha?

Officer Stephen Heimsness' last day will be Nov. 23, said Chief Noble Wray, who began efforts two weeks ago to fire Heimsness.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:02 pm

snoqueen wrote:Best possible outcome for everyone: former officer Heimsness, the Department, and Chief Wray.

I feel grateful it's come down this way.

I'm curious if he gets his pension/etc this way? That wouldn't be the best outcome for taxpayers...
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:28 pm

lukpac wrote:

Wha?

Officer Stephen Heimsness' last day will be Nov. 23, said Chief Noble Wray, who began efforts two weeks ago to fire Heimsness.

Wow, Missed that. Going to take a wild stab in the dark and guess that officer Heimsness joined the force November 23, 1998.

Which would answer this question:
Crockett wrote:I'm curious if he gets his pension/etc this way? That wouldn't be the best outcome for taxpayers...

It's better result then having to pay for a legal battle that the city might lose.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:24 pm

Isthmus story has more details:

He keeps his pension, and is applying for Duty Disability immediately, which if it is approved (city agrees to process with all due speed and not object too it) he will then retire immediately otherwise he goes on paid sick leave till November 23, and is not allowed to present himself as an officer or enter non-public areas of police offices during that time.

The agreement did not require him to admit guilt in all cases and in fact it states he disgrees with many of the charges, as well as his termination.

I agree with Sno that this is probably the best possible ending to this issue, though I'll be shocked if it actually ends here.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:33 pm

Police union asks Mayor Soglin for help with flawed MPD culture.
Hey Mayor. As long as you and the Chief have decided to jump in and start fixin' things around here, we just happen to have a list...
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby diaper daniels » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:27 am

I hope Ol' Sogs tell some of these cops to mustache the fuck up. The lack of staches on the force in this city is downright embarrassing.
diaper daniels
Forum Addict

Postby Amelia Royko Maurer » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:24 am

"I'm the right cop for the wrong job." "No witnesses, no problem."

He said this 2 hours before killing Heenan.
Amelia Royko Maurer

Postby bdog » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:24 pm

It would be nice for them to get a little info instead of dispatching every call like a homicide in progress.

- Stephen Heimsness, 11/7/2012

"Them" being the people in dispatch.

2 days before the Heenan call.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:16 pm

Amelia Royko Maurer wrote:"I'm the right cop for the wrong job." "No witnesses, no problem."

He said this 2 hours before killing Heenan.

What, exactly, are you implying here?
Oh and by the way, there were witnesses when he shot Heenan in what he believed was self defense.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Gerth » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:35 pm

[quote="Amelia Royko Maurer"]"I'm the right cop for the wrong job." "No witnesses, no problem."

He said this 2 hours before killing Heenan.[/quote

Please present to us the context of these comments by Steve. We know the context of his comments regarding the dispatchers. In order for your comments to have any validatedly you need to provide the full conversation.
Gerth

Postby snoqueen » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:37 pm

Along with the source in link form.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Laboratory » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:13 pm

snoqueen wrote:Along with the source in link form.

Its mentioned here, which is citing the Wray complaint:

http://www.channel3000.com/news/heenans ... index.html

As I have learned more about this story, I believe Heimsness was not a good police officer, perhaps even terrible (although I used to think highly of him previously due to his presence on this forum) and I hope he is an exception, rather than the rule.

There is no evidence that had another officer responded to the Royko-Maurer call for help, would the outcome been any different. Lots of bad decisions were made by everyone that night. Why didn't Paul find the right front door (he was new to the neighborhood and drunk)? Why was the Royko-Maurer front door unlocked (it was a simple mistake that anyone can make)? Why did Amelia Royko-Maurer call the police when her husband said the situation was OK (she was scared for her family)? Why did Paul turn on Nate Royko-Maurer and then Heimsness (he was drunk)? Why didn't Nate Royko-Maurer yell "He's not a burglar, he's drunk! Don't shoot!" instead of "He's my neighbor!" (because he was scared and it happened really fast)? Why did Heimsness fire (because he was trained that way, he was scared, and it seems he has a history of making bad choices with his gun)?

There are at least six moments in this story where the outcome is completely different (even more if you want to go back further in the evening) and Paul Heenan wakes up the next morning hungover and maybe embarrassed. Heimsness pulled the trigger and shouldn't be a cop anymore for a bunch of reasons, but he's not the only reason Paul is dead and its a sad story for everyone.
Laboratory

Postby juanton » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:37 pm

There are at least 6 instances, maybe 5, in your post that are completely devoid of any sense of accuracy.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Laboratory » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:46 pm

juanton wrote:There are at least 6 instances, maybe 5, in your post that are completely devoid of any sense of accuracy.

Very clever. Please list them. I have read every word published I can find on this story, so if I am mistaken, I'd like to change my mind, just as I have about the quality of the police officer involved.
Laboratory

Postby juanton » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:07 pm

Second paragraph. I'm not trying to be a dick, but at least try to accurately assign the correct names to the actions you have asked about.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government