MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Monday, April 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 55.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Blaska has the scoop on "Manski-gate"

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Blaska has the scoop on "Manski-gate"

Postby david cohen » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:08 pm

SlayerDave wrote:For this theory to work, we need more details on the timeline right?

I mean, it does no good for MTI and John Matthews to recruit Manski without knowing Mertz is also running. Otherwise, Manski would drop out, leaving Mirilli alone on the ballot; not exactly Matthews' and Co.'s preferred outcome.

Though I do think more needs to be said about the union's record of opposing Nichelle Nichols, Ananda Mirilli, Wayne Strong, and James Howard. The common denominator is a little curious, at the least.

Didn't MTI support Shwaw Vang and Juan Lopez (and I think Ray Allen at some point)? So much for common denominators.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MarcoPolo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:27 pm

david cohen wrote:
SlayerDave wrote:For this theory to work, we need more details on the timeline right?

I mean, it does no good for MTI and John Matthews to recruit Manski without knowing Mertz is also running. Otherwise, Manski would drop out, leaving Mirilli alone on the ballot; not exactly Matthews' and Co.'s preferred outcome.

Though I do think more needs to be said about the union's record of opposing Nichelle Nichols, Ananda Mirilli, Wayne Strong, and James Howard. The common denominator is a little curious, at the least.

Didn't MTI support Shwaw Vang and Juan Lopez (and I think Ray Allen at some point)? So much for common denominators.

They also endorsed Michael Flores and stayed out of Howard's race both this year and in 2010.

Caire ran for school board in 1999 I think? Wonder what happened from MTI then.
MarcoPolo

Postby Meade » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:42 pm

More scoop from Marc Eisen's important essay which deserves more attention:

As long as academic programs address state educational standards and meaningful accountability is in place, why shouldn't parents be able to pick a school setting they feel best suits their child's needs? More to the point, why shouldn't the district's response to the painful achievement gap demonstrate this flexibility?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:27 pm

Meade wrote:More scoop

I don't think that means what Larry thinks it means.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:53 am

Derrell Connor: Madison liberals hurting communities of color

Ever since CEO Kaleem Caire shined a bright light on an achievement gap and low graduation rates for students of color that has plagued the Madison Metropolitan School District for decades -- even offering an idea to help to address it -- Caire has been painted as a right-wing operative with the intent to privatize and destroy public schools. Almost anyone else who supported Madison Prep has been labeled the enemy because communities of color are asking for a better future for their children.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:56 pm

The irony here is that Madison was spared an incompetent candidate when Sarah pulled a Manski, yet everyone wants to scream conspiracy. Manski never once iterated a cohesive platform: no ideas about the budget issues, the struggles of socio-economic students (black, white, asian, latino, you name it), support for specific programs, special ed, etc. While it's clear that Mirilli got the worst of it, I don't buy into the idea that it was intentional because she is a Madison Prep supporter or from South America. I don't think Manski is that smart to conspire to that end. Yep, it was convenient for some folks in town, but I think the overwhelming majority of us welcome anyone who runs for the school board because it's the most thankless task in the city. Perhaps Mr. Blaska should run!
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:37 pm

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:58 pm

So Mertz is dishonest...yet Blaska never says exactly how...typical.He is just stirring the pot to see what sticks and what doesn't. Caire isn't any better...sour grapes. And in the end, the kids lose. Pathetic.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:19 pm

Here is the entire reference to Mertz in Kaleem Caire's commentary: "Ironically, two of the people behind the attacks on ULGM were Ben Manski and TJ Mertz. They were uniquely aligned in their opposition to Madison Prep." That's it.

Note that this was at the end of a narrative about the Urban League of Greater Madison's proposal for Madison Prep in 2011/2012 -- NOT about the 2013 school board election. And it referred to Ben, not Sarah Manski.

So when Blaska (or his IB editor) writes a headline "Madison Urban League head calls out Manski and Mertz for dishonest school board campaign," was he being intentionally dishonest, or just displaying his poor reading skills? Same question for Meade when he reposted -- Meade, intentionally dishonest, or just not that smart?
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:00 pm

My money would be on trying to get a response. And succeeding.

What's new?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:38 pm

Let's be clear about Caire. He wanted public moneys for his charter school, yet he did not want public accountability as to how that money was to be spent.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:04 pm

So, Jason, is that a vote for "intentionally dishonest"?
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:26 pm

Sorry, Stu. Not interested.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:57 pm

Hey everybody, I got a hot Meadescoop! Stu Levitan thinks Dave Blaska is being intellectually dishonest! YOU READ IT HERE FIRST!
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:03 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Let's be clear about Caire. He wanted public moneys for his charter school, yet he did not want public accountability as to how that money was to be spent.

Is that true? Can you cite your source for that assertion? Or are you just lying again?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government