MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Who is the 47%?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Who is the 47%?

Postby Donald » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:59 pm

The important point to note here is that many people Meade views as the underclass are Mitt Romney's and Scott Walker's base. Republicans wants us all to image the underclass is liberal, black and permanently out-of-work. But you go to small town Wisconsin and the underclass is solidly white and Republican. They use government programs like free and reduced school lunches and food assistance, and take the earned income credit, Social Security, and Medicare. These are small town people who view teachers in their own town, let alone University professors, as the wealthy elite who are stealing their hard earned money. They resent the success of the town's teachers, and go to Tea Party rallies to cheer on those who want to strip them of money, health care, pensions and union rights---things they never had. There is a lot of projection going on in Republican circles.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:03 pm

Better to support a needy underclass than an overclass whose whole desire is to redistribute wealth up... and out of the country.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:22 pm

Stebben84 wrote:And I'm sure they're doing it on purpose cause people love to be fucking poor and hungry.

Come on, we all know they are driving Cadillacs, get beer with food stamps and have expensive nails.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:39 pm

Donald wrote:Republicans wants us all to image the underclass is liberal, black and permanently out-of-work.

Untrue. As Obama said himself, much of the beauty of this coalition is that it is desegregated. That is, it is an underclass that is both black and white.

The key element is dependency. Plenty of blacks, along with whites, are not ideologically "liberal" or permanently out of work.

The challenge then, for Obama and his followers, is How do we keep them in the progressive/collectivist/redistributionist coalition?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:09 pm

That's too easy. I'm done with these softball questions. Ask something harder.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:33 pm

Meade wrote:
Donald wrote:Republicans wants us all to image the underclass is liberal, black and permanently out-of-work.

Untrue. As Obama said himself, much of the beauty of this coalition is that it is desegregated. That is, it is an underclass that is both black and white.

The key element is dependency. Plenty of blacks, along with whites, are not ideologically "liberal" or permanently out of work.

The challenge then, for Obama and his followers, is How do we keep them in the progressive/collectivist/redistributionist coalition?

And tell us what your think Romney should tell the dependent underclass who make up most of the Republican Party base? Should Romney tell them that they should vote for Obama, or should he continue airing his television ads that paint this dependent class as black?
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:39 pm

Donald wrote:And tell us what your think Romney should tell the dependent underclass who make up most of the Republican Party base? Should Romney tell them that they should vote for Obama, or should he continue airing his television ads that paint this dependent class as black?

He should join with Tommy Thompson, and say, screw youse guys! I'm going to end Medicaid and Medicare! And food stamps! and unemployment benefits! From now on, you're on your own.

And to the dependent upperclass, e.g. the bankers who get free money, or the oil companies that get huge subsidies: we're going to keep taking care of you.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:24 pm

Meade wrote:The challenge then, for Obama and his followers, is How do we keep them in the progressive/collectivist/redistributionist coalition?

Did he say that he wants to keep people poor?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:40 pm

Meade wrote:The key element is dependency.

Because people love living like this:

Last week, Stanton, a Democrat, took part in a community challenge to live on a food stamp budget -- just $4.16 to buy food per day, or about $29 per week for one person.

Stanton said he was barely able to meet nutritional needs and lost four pounds, according to Fox 10 News Phoenix. He skipped meals and relied on ramen noodles, pasta and coffee, according to KTAR.

"I’m facing a long, hungry day and an even longer night getting dinner on the table, which requires making EVERYTHING from scratch on this budget," Stanton wrote on Facebook. "It’s only for a week, so I’ve got a decent attitude. If I were doing this with no end in sight, I probably wouldn’t be so pleasant."

Meade thinks poor people like being poor

I'm sorry, was this just a cliche?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:21 pm

Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government