MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Chief Erwin keeps capitol from descending into chaos

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Chief Erwin keeps capitol from descending into chaos

Postby HawkHead » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:56 pm

amused2death wrote:So you are ok with restrictions just not permits. Do you find the reasons behind the permits to be bullshit, unconstitutional, or you just don't like them?

Let me restate what I said above:

If you don't understand why having to get a permit from the government to protest the government is a bad idea I am done.

I am done!
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby amused2death » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:49 pm

Isn't the permit for use of the space and not based on what you are using the space for? Therefore the permit isn't a permit to protest it is a permit to use the space which seems reasonable to me.
amused2death

Postby HawkHead » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:53 pm

amused2death wrote:Isn't the permit for use of the space and not based on what you are using the space for? Therefore the permit isn't a permit to protest it is a permit to use the space which seems reasonable to me.

Ooops, I said I was done above. Pretend this post is blank.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:59 pm

amused2death wrote:Isn't the permit for use of the space and not based on what you are using the space for? Therefore the permit isn't a permit to protest it is a permit to use the space which seems reasonable to me.

But you don't need a permit to simply go in the capitol, so what exactly defines "using the space"?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:04 pm

lukpac wrote:But you don't need a permit to simply go in the capitol, so what exactly defines "using the space"?

What if I walked in with a protest t-shirt and just wandered around. I didn't say anything, so it was unclear if I had an agenda. Do I need a permit?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:11 pm

It's a slippery slope, but that's what the courts are for. I wonder how a law suit challenging the permit requirements will end up. I could see any decision going up the appellate process, maybe ending up in federal court.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:47 pm

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:17 pm

But they did arrest sign carriers, right? Then walked out on Chris Taylor when she asked them about it.

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... acff03ba1f
Wisconsin Capitol Police chief walks out on Rep. Chris Taylor during meeting on arrests

"Wisconsin state Rep. Chris Taylor (D-Madison) blasted Capitol Police Chief David Erwin Friday afternoon for refusing to answer "basic questions" about the recent arrests at the state Capitol and for abruptly ending a meeting on the topic.

"I was very shocked and disappointed today when you and Department of Administrative Assistant Gwendolyn Coomer walked out of a meeting scheduled in my office," she wrote in a sharply worded letter (PDF) that was hand-delivered to Erwin's office in the state Capitol. Taylor also took the police chief to task for being unable to identify the "specific conduct you believe to be unlawful."

Erwin began enforcing permitting rules for the Capitol this week, resulting in the arrests of some 12 protesters for holding signs."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:24 am

A counterpoint to the Solidarity Singers: 'Rosary rallies' at Capitol thinly disguised GOP pep fests
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:20 pm

Rosary rallies? Well, everyone has a right to peaceful protest. Hope Erwin doesn't decide people kneeling in prayer on the Capitol steps are terrorists obstructing schoolchildren and politicians from the building.

I've attended a few of the Solidarity Singers noon singing but did not have a sign. They're peaceful, friendly, and didn't seem to care that I can't sing well. I miss the former Capitol police chief. He was more interested in keeping the peace than pushing his weight around.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:32 pm

I thought Erwin's "The Capital is for everyone, not the select few" was a bit priceless since he's protecting the 'feelings" of the select few from anyone who peacefully disagrees with them.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:54 pm

At least staff can feel safe now:

Attempts to step up Capitol security continued this week with the installation of panic buttons in staff offices and the continued targeting of certain protesters.

The Department of Administration confirmed Tuesday that it installed 482 panic buttons in offices around the statehouse, in an effort to provide a level of comfort for staffers who they say have felt harassed by the presence of protesters in the historic building.

The wireless buttons send an alert to Capitol police, who will respond immediately, DOA Spokeswoman Stephanie Marquis said. "(Staffers) have basically been told to press it anytime they feel threatened," she said.

http://host.madison.com/news/local/govt ... f887a.html
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby butters » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:47 pm

I just saw a video of someone being arrested and handcuffed in our State Capitol for holding an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper with the following quote from our Constitution: "The right of the people peaceably to assemble, to consult for the common good, and to petition the government or any department thereof, shall never be abridged."

If you're ok with his arrest, then you are a big government-loving fascist. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

The Chief should be removed in disgrace. And all the mindless robots who carried out his orders should be reprimanded and replaced... Even the one holding the camera.
butters
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:33 pm

Here is some more background about the off-site serving of papers:

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/c ... 963f4.html

1) seems like intimidation to me; and

2) I wonder if the delay in charging people resulted from a back-office conference to try and find something they could be charged with, without violating recent (and probably older) court rulings.

Rep. Chris Taylor (who is one tough cookie, and doing good work on this matter) thinks they'll just keep on dreaming up more fishy charges (violations of obscure zoning regulations, etc). She tried to discuss this with Erwin but he would not give her more information on what they've decided to arrest people for, probably because it didn't exist.

"Now they’re not citing people as they engage in this conduct,” Taylor said. “They’re waiting several hours. So if the conduct is so unlawful and so egregious and creating such hazards, it’s very interesting they’re not citing the conduct as it happens.”

I've got a feeling Erwin is in over his head here and what he's doing now will not be supported in court. But I don't think he (or Mike Huebsch) cares. He wants to throw his weight around NOW, and is taking the short view as this administration has done thoughout its history.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:29 am

Love this one:

"The citations were served at their homes to avoid confrontation and maintain order at the Capitol," she said.

Meaning, we don't want arrest videos ending up on YouTube and the news.

I'm with Steve Vokers. "They think it will generate less bad publicity. They are wrong."
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government