MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

(Purported planned threat of) Capitol "crackdown"

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: (Purported planned threat of) Capitol "crackdown"

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:46 am

I don't care if the singers and scooter boy are within their rights or not, if you want people outside of Madison to consider voting Dem again, you have to get those people out of the capitol. The rural/up north small town, possible swing-voter types just look at that shit and shake their heads.

Singing in the capitol did not and will not help change anything. The people who appreciate it and are moved by it, already vote our way. Enough is enough.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:34 am

They could compromise and sing in the little mini-park at the corner of State St and the square, but it wouldn't be as fun because there's no echoes.

They could also compromise by standing in the capitol silently, but it wouldn't be as fun either.

I don't know if the up-northers "hate" the singers -- maybe some do. On the whole, I think when they visit Madison it's part of the atmosphere they come for. "We're not in Chippewa Falls any more, ma."
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:17 am

Maybe if they come to Madison and take it in in person, it could have a positive affect, but from afar it just looks silly. There's still a lot of people out there beyond Dane County who are getting their news from a paper and/or their favorite local 10PM tv news. That doesn't bode well for our daily capitol demonstrators. There are still people out there who think there was 7 million in damage done to the building last year.

I'd like to know how democrats who work up there honestly feel about the regular shows. How would any of you feel about a group of not-necessarily-professional singers showing up at your place of work several times a week for the last 18 months?

If Van fucking Morrison started showing up at my house 3 times a week and giving me a personal 3-song set, it'd be cool for awhile but after a few weeks I'd be ready to throw him down the Vanlose Stairway.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:30 am

Are the Capitol singers still making news outside of Madison?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:58 am

There are still people out there who think there was 7 million in damage done to the building last year.

narcoleptish is being hysterical. Everyone knows there was no malicious damage done to the Capitol by the protesters even though internal repairs totaled $161,050 and repairs for the Capitol grounds cost state taxpayers - all state taxpayers - $111,750. Everyone knows the $7.5 million figure had been a purely preliminary figure based on information available at the time.

Sure, the security costs for state agencies like the State Patrol and Capitol Police and the 200 law enforcement agencies that provided services under memorandums of understanding with the state came to $7.8 million. But ask any Wisconsin state taxpayer and he will tell you that that is the cost of showing us all what democracy looks like. Honk, honk.

Solidarity singing peaceably assembled protesters, Segway Boy, Effigy of Supreme Court Justice Hanging Guy, Arthur Abraham Lincoln, Zombie Bully-ers of Special Olympians, Demonstrators of Disregard For Due Process While Hushing Up Over the Brian Solomon in Your Progressive Dane Midst, please hear me:

Ye shall not, ye shall not be moved. Just like a religious cult, planted with bicycle locks to the Assembly gallery rail... Ye shall not be moved.
Last edited by Meade on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:58 pm

In other words, shut up and take it. Once again, stellar advice from Uncle Meade. Oh please, tell us more how the world works.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:54 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Are the Capitol singers still making news outside of Madison?

Barely I imagine, but that's part of my point. The WSJ runs an article about the new police chief and the singers get mentioned and regular Joe in Jackson County thinks to himself.... "Those people are still singing? Don't they have jobs?" And he's gonna tell his co-workers and the guys at the bar how it must be nice to be one of those liberal Madison state workers who can go sing at the Capitol every day instead of doing their job.

I run into people who think this way right here in Madison. The internet surfers/Politifact checkers/critical thinkers are still way in the minority. LOts of people take the first thing they hear as the truth and stick with it. Like 7 million dollars in Scotch tape damage.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Capitol crackdown

Postby Dangerousman » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:11 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Meade wrote:
jjoyce wrote:Guns: Yes.

Concealed carry: permit

No permit needed for open carry.

True, and on the grounds of the capitol you'd be fine. But it remains a Class A misdemeanor to carry a firearm inside a building owned by the state or a "political subdivision" of the state without a WI or recognized out-of-state license. So there is no "unlicensed" carry allowed inside the capitol.

And as I understand it, the capitol rules require licensed individuals to carry concealed inside the building.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:12 pm

narcoleptish wrote: 7 million dollars in Scotch tape damage.

Who is still talking about the blue painter's tape damage? Not the majority of Wisconsin voters who rejected the attempt to overturn the 2010 election of Scott Walker.

It's the $7.8 million in police protection for the protesters during The Uprising and the $16 million for the special recall elections (which, if I recall correctly, changed next to nothing) that, for the people I talk to, really sticks in their collective craw.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:21 pm

What about the hundreds of millions of dollars in special corporate tax breaks that were suppose to produce jobs? Where are those jobs? That expenditure sticks in my craw.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:38 pm

Look up the word "expenditure" and get back to us.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:40 pm

Meade wrote:Look up the word "expenditure" and get back to us.

It's lost tax money that has to be made up by the average taxpaying Wisconsinite. It's their expenditure.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:58 pm

You can really get a lot of mileage out of your money if you spend it wisely. In the event of a protest, whether it's needed or not, activate every law enforcement officer you can get your hands on. Keep 'em active, keep 'em out there. They ain't doing anything, they aren't needed, but they make a great visual effect.

Then when it's all over, inflate the costs, get some cronies to make wildly inflated estimates (you can throw them away later, nobody will notice, you just need those numbers in few early headlines) then add in every maintenance cost you would have spent anyway, total it all up, and voila!

It has so many uses. Every time anybody complains about spending, bring it up. Every time anybody complains about ANYTHING, bring it up.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:51 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:It's lost tax money that has to be made up by the average taxpaying Wisconsinite. It's their expenditure.

Please tell me you were just kidding, that you never really taught school, that no student was ever in fact subjected to your "teaching".
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:58 pm

Meade wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:It's lost tax money that has to be made up by the average taxpaying Wisconsinite. It's their expenditure.

Please tell me you were just kidding, that you never really taught school, that no student was ever in fact subjected to your "teaching".

So you tell me how the loss of tax money is made up. Something besides another ad hominem, please.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government