MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Voter ID litigation money is coming from...where?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Voter ID litigation money is coming from...where?

Postby Cornbread » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:23 pm

david cohen wrote:Current voting laws adhere to the State of Wisconsin Constitution.

No wonder the new democrat party puts forth nobody but lawyers for their political leaders. :roll:

So why all the leftist hand wringing over Judge Prosser and wanting him tossed out so they could decide on the constitutionality of the national "voter ID" law?

You don't need to know anything more than that.

OK OK OK.....I'll submit.....

.....not.
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:36 pm

^from a person who undoubtedly supported BU$H when he hired lawyers and sued his own countrymen to throw out 180,000 of their unexamined ballots in violation of the Constitution?
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:17 pm

cut-and-paste jonny,
do you have links to anything you spurt?
do you ever have a two way conversation/discussion?
does your life consist of bumperstickers?
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:20 pm

^from a guy who spends his time harassing people he disagrees with.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:35 pm

I look at it this way: even if we assume that there are illegal votes being cast, there is absolutely no evidence that illegal votes are so numerous that they could flip an election. If tougher voting laws discourage or prevent 10,000 people from voting in order to stop a handful of illegal votes, then the law is an injustice.

The burden should be on those who wish to restrict access. If you can prove that fraudulent voting is a legitimate concern then I would respect your efforts to tighten voter laws. But I've yet to see anything other than anecdotes and insinuations offered as evidence. A van with Illinois plates transporting voters to the polls does not tell me that the people in the van are from Illinois. More likely that people or organizations from Illinois are assisting in GOTV. Rather than blame it on the van, show me the fraudulent registrations... they're readily available.

Again, the burden of proof lies with the people restricting access. Voting is a fundamental right of our democracy. If people are abusing that right, show me where. It's not my responsibility to prove a negative (namely that illegal votes aren't being cast).
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:34 am

jonnygothispen wrote:^from a guy who spends his time harassing people he disagrees with.

I'm not the one calling people names and/or begging others to have him silenced. I just keep trying to have an adult, two way conversation about the political/economic events, but most of the time get name called or a stone wall.

That shouldn't be surprising though as that's the modus operandi for the new democrat party, most notably their leader in the white house. Compromise to them (and ya'll) means people that have a differing worldview come over to your side, but it never works the other way. ;)
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:51 am

pjbogart wrote:I look at it this way: even if we assume that there are illegal votes being cast, there is absolutely no evidence that illegal votes are so numerous that they could flip an election.

That's the catch--and why the democrat party machine, at all costs, doesn't want any form of "ID to vote". Throw in absentee voting and same day registration, if one doesn't vote himself, there's no way to tell if there was a fraudulent vote cast if the real person didn't intend to vote anyway.

Think this sounds too far out there?

The Greater Wisconsin Political Fund is a 527 political organization, but it is stridently anti-Scott Walker and over the past couple of days Wisconsin residents have been receiving very disturbing mailings that not only attempt to shame you and your neighbors into voting, but also threaten to publicly shame you if you don’t vote in the June 5 recall election.
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government ... epy-Mailer

http://www.flickr.com/photos/althouse/7318183974/

So what could happen if a political group has a list of people that are old enough to vote, they have their home addresses, names, etc. but these people haven't voted in the last 2-10 elections?
Get people into those white vans and drive them to that polling place, give them a piece of paper and have them go inside and tell the person they are whoever is on that piece of paper.
There is no provision in WI for an ID, so the poll worker has to let them cast a vote in that person's name, whoever they are.

Think about it honestly.

The final total was Lehman with 36,351 votes and Wanggaard with 35,517 votes,

That's 831 votes.
There was a lot of fraud in that minn congressman's (failed comedian) election 'win' too, and he won by an even smaller margin IIRC.

If tougher voting laws discourage or prevent 10,000 people from voting

OK, the leftists/democrat party always say, "prove vote fraud!".
So now, my turn--Prove that showing an ID to vote discourages or prevents a person from voting.

I really don't see how a person can exist in our society w/o an ID, unless they live in the swamps of the UP or in the middle of alaska. And in WI, they will give a person a free ID if they don't have one.

So how can having to show what a person already has prevent a person from voting?
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:24 am

Where in the world do you live? A lot of people do not have, have never had, and have never needed an ID.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:37 am

peripat wrote:Where in the world do you live? A lot of people do not have, have never had, and have never needed an ID.

Yeah! All those people who have never went to a bar or a liquor store or tried to buy cigarettes, never been hired at a job as a legal citizen, never applied for a drivers license, but vote frequently? Why, its common knowledge that the poor and disadvantaged are notorious for their famous penchant for abstinence and clean living. Posh! Why on this earth would a pauper need i-dent-ifi-cation, old chap? [/end sarcasm.]

Could you be talking about the Amish? Perhaps you're talking about the mutant population of Old New York...

Deep down, you have to know you're deluding yourself.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:56 am

My late mother never had a picture ID (she did not drive). She never needed one and she always voted.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:36 am

pjbogart wrote:Again, the burden of proof lies with the people restricting access. Voting is a fundamental right of our democracy. If people are abusing that right, show me where. It's not my responsibility to prove a negative (namely that illegal votes aren't being cast).

Here's your proof:
The DOJ and Milwaukee County prosecutors charged 11 felons for voting, six people for voter registration misconduct and two people for voting twice, according to a DOJ statement.

http://scottwalkerwatch.com/2011/05/12/ ... continues/

Like many Republicans, AG Van Hollen is fairly partisan. Unlike other Republicans, he's not incompetent. So, worst case scenario: 19 cases during a high-turnout election. And they caught all of them.

Would a voter ID bill have prevented any of these cases?

No. But it would have prevented many otherwise legitimate voters from participating.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:02 pm

As hashed out in a previous topic between me (and others) and foron Schultz, having to show ID isn't even the real problem. It's the deliberately-created difficulty, inconvenience, and expense of getting that one-perfect-form of ID. Schultz, in that discussion, said he'd be OK with having ID issued at Wal-Mart. I don't know if he was being facetious or not, but having ID-issuing offices all over the place would be a good first step. Start with the Post Office, which is already the place to go for a passport so they have some experience in the matter. The next step would have the requisite documentation be more flexible. (Getting a fake birth certificate is so easy it's a joke, if you're determined.) If I were qualified for, say, Medicare (government money, that is) why would the same identification not qualify me to vote?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:51 pm

peripat wrote:Where in the world do you live? A lot of people do not have, have never had, and have never needed an ID.

lol. A better question from normal people would be directed at you, "Where do you live where no one ever has had to have a form of identification?"

I know even in planet madison, and ID is needed......OK, unless one is an illegal immigrant.
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:01 pm

Bludgeon wrote:Why, its common knowledge that the poor and disadvantaged are notorious for their famous penchant for abstinence and clean living.

By jove, you just reminded me of yet another huge crack in the leftist lie about no ID voting. They whine about how the poor is so disenfranchised, blah blah blah.
So, do these poor work? If so, they need a valid ID.
If they cash their checks from their job, they need a valid ID.
If they open a bank account to deposit these checks, they need two forms of valid ID.

Or if these poor chaps/chappettes are too poor to work, or are handicapped/disabled or the like? The get government assistance in many forms. Oh, and that requires an ID to get anything other than short term, emergency assistance.

All of this BS is funny. It would be tiresome, repeating the same common sense logic, over and over and over while the left continues their orwellian denial BS over and over and over.

But what makes all this worth it? Watching them go exorcist type gymnastics in order to keep their logic consistent--at least in their minds. Normal people just laugh at them or shake their heads and walk away. The left, in their isolation amongst themselves, have turned into something people smile and avoid. They don't surprise people anymore, nothing is new with them, just the same old conjob that the left has ran for the last half century in this country.

Dinosaurs at least looked up when it started to snow...........
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:11 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:My late mother never had a picture ID (she did not drive). She never needed one and she always voted.

From your posts, I'd guess you're in your 60s, so I don't really think it's too current conversation about your moms--no offense meant as I'm sure she was a good woman.

I heard stories from my mom about how everyone looked forward to getting the sears catalog. They were farmers and worked as oscar mayers, so they didn't have a lot of money to spend. So why the catalog? It made great toilet paper. It was THE RULE of that day/era.

More current: I remember when we could just walk into an airplane, get mail order guns, or heck, WI drivers licenses didn't even have a picture on them--great for under age partying, btw.

So where's all this going? The world has changed henry. Your zoo sucks and ya'll need to let those captive creatures free, no matter what the surrounding, affluent leftist neighbors want.

:D
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government