MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Can someone explain this picture to me?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Can someone explain this picture to me?

Postby DCB » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:14 pm

snoqueen wrote:It's undertaxation. Going forward, it's also a matter of cutting the military. The biggest thing the military is doing for us today is keeping the unemployment rate down, and there's got to be a more productive way to do that right here at home.

Ya think?
http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2012/06/ ... itary.html
The PERI institue of UMass issued a report showing that for every $1 billion spent by the Pentagon, roughly 11k jobs are created while that same money on domestic priorities (or even tax cuts) would create far more jobs:
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:45 pm

OK, let's expand on that a little. This is from page 4 of a link in the article you linked:

However, in terms of assessing the employment ef-
fects of military spending on the economy, the most
important question... is... whether spending $1 billion on the
military creates a greater or lesser number of jobs
relative to spending the same $1 billion on alterna-
tive public purposes, such as education, health care
or the green economy, or having consumers spend
that amount of money in any way they choose.

.... our research
finds that $1 billion in spending on the military will
generate about 11,200 jobs. By contrast, the em-
ployment effects of spending in alternative areas
will be 15,100 for household consumption, 16,800
for the green economy, 17,200 for health care, and
26,700 for education. That is, investments in the
green economy, health care and education will
produce between about 50–140 percent more
jobs than if the same amount of money were spent
by the Pentagon.

"Household consumption" basically means tax cuts to households -- so yes, the conservative solution ("having consumers spend that amount in any way they choose") is included in the comparison. It doesn't come out too badly compared with military uses of the same amount of money (here, $1 billion for comparison purposes), though it results in less ultimate employment than green economy, health care, and education uses.

http://www.peri.umass.edu/fileadmin/pdf ... g_2011.pdf

Worth reading for those who like applied economics, with lots more detail than just the paragraphs I excerpted. The military jobs created by government expenditures are of high quality for an interesting reason, and that reason sheds some light on why the conservative side works so hard to hang on to them and the votes they represent. That would be... government paid healthcare benefits.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:18 pm

snoqueen wrote:OK, let's expand on that a little.

After 8 pages of unanswered questions, it's time for ya'll to move on.....

I know it's not you, but one leftist is just a carbon copy, little more than gluten free white flour cookie cutter copies of each other.

Are you still maintaining the mass gluten pressure from others here to ingore? lol. OK, maybe I should pay ya'll for this.

However, in terms of assessing the employment ef-
fects of military spending on the economy, the most
important question... is... whether spending $1 billion on the
military creates a greater or lesser number of jobs
relative to spending the same $1 billion on alterna-
tive public purposes, such as education, health care
or the green economy,

:lol: :lol: Don't mean to laugh that much, but do you really think the US Government's job is to "create jobs"? :shock:
LOL! Yes you do. You're a leftist and the "job" of government is to confiscate (tax) money, launder it amongst their friends, the give out token monies for jobs in efforts to garner/maintain votes.

WAAAAAAY funny!

or having consumers spend that amount of money in any way they choose.

OMG OMG OMG!

So now the leftist statists are in favor of tax cuts?????????

employment than green economy, health care, and education uses.

"green economy" as in garbage collectors?
"green economy" as in kids working in bicycle shops part time?
Don't be mad at me for this definition, it's the present leftist prezzie's definition of green yobs.

Any successes in "green investment" of our tax money by our prezzie? I think he's 0 for 5, but what the hay, eh? It's not his money, it's the "rich taxpayers"........

So, have you figured out how much you pay taxes/fees every month? Even a corporation like you snoqueen, once you use all the tax loopholes you can, has to pay property and fuel taxes......
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:43 am

Cornbread wrote:
DCB wrote:
snoqueen wrote:Example: on Monday he implied that a janitor at the UW would betting rich off the 5.5% tuition, a position he refuted today.

For being such self proclaimed "educated" folks, ya'll sure do miss a lot.
I'll help ya'll out here:
You implied that.....I didn't. Is said all the continual 5 plus percent increases in tuition of the last 5 years in the UW system is going for paying for the lavish pension and health care for life packages of the government unionists.

Minor technicality--takes a little education to understand that. :D

If you are going to criticize the education of others, don't proudly display your own lacking. YOU implied something, and we inferred something from that.

Minor technicality, takes a little education to understand that.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:51 am

Also, another minor technicality: janitorial services at the UW have been outsourced for years now--there aren't any "government employees" doing that kind of thing at the university anymore.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:57 pm

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:49 pm

Detritus wrote:Also, another minor technicality: janitorial services at the UW have been outsourced for years now--there aren't any "government employees" doing that kind of thing at the university anymore.

Correct, a minor technicality that doesn't detract from the point--government schools/institutions have raised their costs 5 plus percent in the last handful of years. Why? Where does all that money go?

The huge irony is that kids are going deeply in debt because they're told they have to get a college degree in order to get a job. What's the recent college grad unemployment rate these days, double digits?

Yet the price keeps going up, 5 percent per year, while the inflation rate is what again?

The only hope for kids these days is to get a degree in gay, lesbian and transgender studies, then go to a catholic university and then get some serious political positioning by demanding they pay for your contraceptives. Who knows, she may wind up on tammy baldwin's staff with that spectacular, productive resume.............
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government