MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Mostly Cloudy and Windy
Collapse Photo Bar

The decline of Madison

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: The decline of Madison

Postby lolagirl » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:27 am

Oh sure, it's boring and unchallenging, but I pull down $75K a year without ever leaving the house. Hell, some days I don't even bother to get dressed.... I'm grateful that I can choose to liove anywhere in the world that has broadband and keep those nice fat recession proof paychecks coming in.

So what's it like manning a phone sex hot-line all day?
lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby Like_Stink » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:58 am

Ducatista wrote:Madison just isn't a Road King kinda town, I guess. Happily, it is a Triumph Daytona kinda town. I'm stayin'.

But....isn't first gear a little high. Little revvy to get going? Head toward Steuben and none of it matters, I guess. Daytona's are sweet.
Like_Stink
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:01 am

White Rabbit, I grew up on Hubbard Ave. (just west of Park, in an old yellow brick house) That neighborhood still has a lot of the same ambiance as back then. You might want to check out the near south side, south of Regent and north of the tracks. Not as much commerce as Willy. I could go on, but it feels like a sweet secret.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Like_Stink » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:47 am

There are plenty of little irritating things about Madison….it’s not very dog-friendly, sometimes the guys picking up the trash leave some garbage around the can, the city piles up snow at the end of my driveway, there’s a Starbucks on State St., living on the near-east side requires that I ride all the way across town and out to get to the really good motorcycle roads, people try to make left turns out of the coop during rush hour…..I don’t know why I stay here.

I know all my neighbors. I’m building a new garage and a guy five blocks away that I’ve never met dropped by with his neighbor, ladder and nailer and spent a couple hours helping me put up the trusses. I owe him good beer (fortunately we have good beer). My neighbors with snowblowers usually get my sidewalks before I get to them. I can walk five or six blocks to a great grocery store and a few good restaurants. I ride my motorcycle to work most of the year, but in winter it takes all of fifteen minutes by bus. I have a beautiful tree in my front yard……….

In a few years, I’ll probably move. Unlike Vinnie’s scenario, education narrows options for some. My wife will be finishing her PhD and the likelihood that she’ll be hired here (as is always the case) is low. So I’ll retire and do whatever’s next wherever we go. Could be Ithaca or Burlington – that would be nice – or it could be Buffalo or Pittsburgh. That would be okay too. I’m old enough that my imagination is well-developed – I don’t require a lot of external stimulation to alleviate boredom.

My mom lives by Lake Champlain in the Adirondacks. Few places are more beautiful to me, but she loves Madison and tells me what she misses about it and I suspect I’ll miss it too. My niece lives in the east village and couldn’t imagine living anywhere but NYC, but recently she’s been dreaming of building a house and I think the rural area in the Finger Lakes where she grew up looks pretty nice.

Anyway, Madison is what it is. Probably not the greatest place in the world, but it’s pretty nice. I suspect Road King’s (and Vinnie’s) problems with Madison are primarily just problems with themselves and they may grow out of it.
Last edited by Like_Stink on Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like_Stink
Forum Addict

Postby Dairylander » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:35 am

Hey Stink, you need to edit the second to last paragraph - I think you meant dreaming.
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:41 am

fennel wrote:
boston_jeff wrote:Not sure wtf you are talking about.

Well, Ok. You lived in some sort of dire situation where the parkng and traffic situation was more hopeless than in Madison. What hope does your experience offer Madison?

Hope is exactly what I offer. Its important to remember that while the parking, traffic, housing costs, etc. may be terrible from your perspective, most U.S. cities have it far worse. Seems like some want it both ways. If you compare Madison unfavorably to another place or make a criticism, its "get the fuck out we don't need any of you blah blah blah." If you say "hey its pretty nice here compared to other places", it's "shut up its just as terrible here as anywhere." Make up your minds.

There are some things about Madison worthy of criticism. Plentiful downtown parking and the nonexistent traffic ain't at the top of the list. In fact those may be two of the reasons that Madison is often named as "greatest place ever" in some magazine that I would never read. Along with the relatively low cost of living and number of restaurants per capita. Yeah, the traffic, parking, and rents are less favorable than podunk, but compared to most cities...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:10 am

For those who dislike Madison, what other American city of the same size would be rather live in?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Vinnie P » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:26 am

Frank Booth wrote:
Vinnie P wrote:It's too small townish for me. There's no nightlife to speak of, and very few decent restaurants. Everything closes early. I couldn't find any work here so I'm doing a gig where I basically tele-commute (I'm actualy making a lot more money this way, with a lot less effort, but I don't like it). You can't smoke in a bar. You have to drive all the way to the outskirts of town for practically anything. Public transportation is horrendous so I have to drive more than I want to.

Need I go on?

If you can't figure out how to have fun without breathing recirculated smoke or driving to the mall you are the world's most magical retard.

I never said that I don't get to drive to the mall enough - to the contrary, among my complaints are the fact that I have to drive more than I want to and that I have to go to or near malls more than I want to. I guess you just might be the world's most magical illiterate.
Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Postby Vinnie P » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:28 am

boston_jeff wrote:In what big "town" are people allowed to smoke in bars these days?

It's a big world out there. There will always be somewhere tolerant of diversity.
Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Postby Vinnie P » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:32 am

lolagirl wrote:
Oh sure, it's boring and unchallenging, but I pull down $75K a year without ever leaving the house. Hell, some days I don't even bother to get dressed.... I'm grateful that I can choose to liove anywhere in the world that has broadband and keep those nice fat recession proof paychecks coming in.

So what's it like manning a phone sex hot-line all day?

ROFLMAO!

I wish. That would be "loads" more fun than what I'm doing now. I construct audio content. At the moment I'm taking a much needed break from "36 distinctly different door slams". When I'm done with that I have to put together a shit-ton of bass loops to sync with someone else's drum loops.
Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Postby Vinnie P » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:34 am

Like_Stink wrote:I suspect Road King’s (and Vinnie’s) problems with Madison are primarily just problems with themselves and they may grow out of it.

Why can you not accept the simple fact that other people have likes and dislikes that are different from yours? It's called diversity. Ever hear of it?
Vinnie P
Forum Addict

Postby Peacetrain » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:39 am

Henry Vilas wrote:For those who dislike Madison, what other American city of the same size would be rather live in?

I know of no such place that i would prefer to live in or close to but doesnt mean there arent many great places out there.

But with that said i do think there are areas that madison has declined over the years ive been here(lived in or around for last 11 years, have spent considerable amount of time in the city since 1988). But clearly not enough to chase me out of the area.
Peacetrain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:55 am

Henry Vilas wrote:For those who dislike Madison, what other American city of the same size would be rather live in?

This is no doubt the root of much of the malaise. Madison has grown rapidly without much rhyme or reason. The city many people miss is a smaller, maybe more sustainable one.

I'd move to Burlington, VT in a heartbeat if I could, but Madison is OK.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby seashells » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:17 pm

Dairylander wrote:Hey Stink, you need to edit the second to last paragraph - I think you meant dreaming.

God, I hope that's what he meant.
seashells

Postby Dairylander » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:21 pm

fennel wrote:I'd move to Burlington, VT in a heartbeat if I could, but Madison is OK.

That's where we're going in a few years.
To me, Madison was perfect about 15/20 years ago, and we're told that Burlington is smaller cousin of Madison, so we hope to make the move.
Dairylander
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government