MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 10, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Memorial Day honoring the war dead

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Memorial Day honoring the war dead

Postby Uncle Jimbo » Thu May 31, 2007 9:42 am

There was a protest on Memorial Day at James Madison and I stopped down to see if there would be any attention paid to the purpose of the day.

There wasn't and for 2 1/2 hours I listened to anti-war boilerplate, and Bush lied etc. It was sad that the one day out of the year dedicated to our war dead was hijacked by a group of people more interested in making themselves feel good and playing politics. All it would have taken was one of the speakers saying let's take a minute to recognize the sacrifices of those who made it possible for us to com e here and complain.

Then Will Williams and Allen Ruff decided that free speech isn't really free and stood in front of my camera and then bum rushed me along with bald Tom Cruise. Pretty lame. I had caused no trouble and made only one statement out loud when the speaker said it's a good day to end all wars I said It's a better day to honor our dead. Other than that I spent the entire time peacefully watching. It was a pathetic display and in the end my patience was finished so I walked on stage and gave a little reminder of what Memorial Day is actually about. There are 364 other days a year to protest the war and the lack of respect shown does not reflect well on our local peaceniks.

My video of the event is here

Cordially,

Uncle J
Uncle Jimbo
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu May 31, 2007 10:01 am

Good job. You "honored" the dead by pestering a group of people who were interested in not creating any more dead?

You think that it's more important to honor the dead than work to prevent more death?

Oh, no, wait, protesting war isn't actually a way to spend one's time. There's no such thing as arguing for peace rather than a the continuation of a morbid death cult. It's not a protest for peace; it's "making themselves feel good and playing politics."

My god, you're an asshole.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supereightsnate » Thu May 31, 2007 12:36 pm

Why did you want to interrupt their legal, peaceful gathering? Do you hate freedom?
supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Oprah » Thu May 31, 2007 12:48 pm

I was taking a leisurely stroll with my family through the neighborhood and a band was beginning to jam at Rennebohm Park. Their first song was shit, so I sent Steadman and the kids and the dog home and I stayed for 2 1/2 hours to videotape the rest of the lousy gig.

The fucking audacity of that fucking band to fuck up my fucking Memorial Day and my fucking family time, and to make matters fucking worse, their fucking lame version of Rhiannon still fucking lingers.
Oprah
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle Jimbo » Thu May 31, 2007 12:56 pm

Now that's funny.

Cordially,

Uncle J
Uncle Jimbo
Forum Addict

Postby Genie » Thu May 31, 2007 3:47 pm

Jimbo - they let you speak on stage - that is not taking away your freedom of speech.

They've been doing these protests for years.

If you wanted a parade or a traditional Memorial Day ceremony there were plenty to go to. No one forced you to go to the peace rally. You chose to go.

Will Williams and Allen Ruff are very peaceful people. They would never have hurt you, as much as you wanted them to. That would have made a really good video for Blackfive wouldn't it? All your pro-war and shoot 'em up buddies would have loved it.

Funny that the rally was 2 1/2 hours long but your video was only 5 minutes long. What did you edit out?
Genie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle Jimbo » Thu May 31, 2007 4:39 pm

I'm not there to put up 2 1/2 hours of video, that's not my job tapes cost money so i shut my camwera off after about 5 min. for most of the speakers 'cuz they were boring and pointless. I was there to see if they were going to do the right thing. They didn't and however peaceful you may say they are, I didn't provoke them. WW spent about half an nour walking in front of my camera before the incident I showed.

I had every right to be in a public place documenting a public event, even if, or especially if I was going to use the footage to make fun of the speakers. If they don't want to appear stupid they shouldn't say stupid things. But if they are going to be disrespectful and ignorant then I have every right to document it and pummel them with their own lameness.

That one fool actually claimed that we caused the 800 year old Sunni-Shia religious split with racism. That is incandescently stupid.

They decided that I shouldn't have my right to film the event and that is 100% BS. The fact that I took the stage says nothing about them letting me have it. The second I reached the mic they cut the sound and there is no way in hell they would have allowed me to talk if I hadn't.

It's not my fault if the intolerant hatred of the anti-war left is ugly. That's why I held up the mirror.

Cordially,

Uncle J
Uncle Jimbo
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Thu May 31, 2007 5:15 pm

Uncle Jimbo wrote:It's not my fault if the intolerant hatred of the anti-war left is ugly. That's why I held up the mirror.

To conflate the actions of individuals into some kind of shared, sweeping group ethos is the mindset of a fool.

Or should I judge all military men by the Calley standard?
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Memorial Day honoring the war dead

Postby lukpac » Thu May 31, 2007 5:33 pm

Uncle Jimbo wrote:Then Will Williams and Allen Ruff decided that free speech isn't really free and stood in front of my camera and then bum rushed me along with bald Tom Cruise.

How is you not being able to record a free speech issue?

And how is your opinion as a right-wing vet any more important than that of left-wing vets? What makes you more correct?

Damn you're pathetic.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle Jimbo » Thu May 31, 2007 5:43 pm

Marvell
To conflate the actions of individuals into some kind of shared, sweeping group ethos is the mindset of a fool.

Or should I judge all military men by the Calley standard?

The military does not revere Calley, we abhor him. The speakers at this event were invited because of the very views I highlighted.

Lukpac
How is you not being able to record a free speech issue?

And how is your opinion as a right-wing vet any more important than that of left-wing vets? What makes you more correct?

OK let's make it freedom of the press because I certainly qualify as a citizen journalist and I really don't need the citizen part. My I never said my opinion mattered more than anyone elses. My correctness can be judged, I find few arguments based on fact coming my way though.

If you don't want anyone to show the true feelings of the anti-war movement, then hold your rallies somewhere private not in a public park, 'cuz I'll be there.

Cordially,

Uncle J
Uncle Jimbo
Forum Addict

Postby lordofthecockrings » Thu May 31, 2007 6:07 pm

Uncle Jimbo wrote: I never said my opinion mattered more than anyone elses. My correctness can be judged, I find few arguments based on fact coming my way though.
The correctness of your opinions can be judged? Huh? And what facts have you brought to the table?

Do you know the difference between facts and opinions?
Seriously.
lordofthecockrings
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle Jimbo » Thu May 31, 2007 7:05 pm

The protest is on on Channel 4 right now I am recording the whole thing.

Cordially,

Uncle J
Uncle Jimbo
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu May 31, 2007 7:52 pm

Uncle Jimbo wrote:The protest is on on Channel 4 right now I am recording the whole thing.

Cordially,

Uncle J

Now isn't that just like a (citizen) journalist these days: too lazy to do the reporting yourself.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle Jimbo » Thu May 31, 2007 8:28 pm

Are you seriously as dense as you are playing?

I have watched again and reiterate my statement that not one of the speakers made a single homage to the war dead.

The whole event was a narcissistic back-slapping by a bunch of aging baby boomers.

YAWN! I can't believe I lasted this long.

Cordially,

Uncle J
Uncle Jimbo
Forum Addict

Postby white_rabbit » Thu May 31, 2007 8:40 pm

reposting after the fold.
Last edited by white_rabbit on Thu May 31, 2007 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government