MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Is Wiley really toast?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Is Wiley really toast?

Postby observer » Sun May 06, 2007 1:39 pm

There have been comments in the past in various sources that Wiley is not long for UW.

We rarely hear much about him anymore unless he is meeting wit the Dalai Lama, raising his and other administrators' salaries, or at champagne ribbon cuttings with governor. He seems to be rather unpopular with the legislators and does not have a good track record in dealing with UW issues.

I think Wiley has really hurt himself with the Barrows matter. Wiley used completely unsubstantiated allegations against Barrows that destroyed his career at UW and caused Barrrows public embarassment. And Wiley said he was Barrow's friend. Who needs enemies when you have friends like Wiley. I am sure this has sent chills down the spines of both administrators and faculty to see that they can be denied due process and have very damaging, unsubstantiated rumors spread about them and have little reoucrse. I imagine that a lot of folks at UW have polished up their resume and getting it out to other places. It is the only prudent thing to do when someone like Wiley is in charge. I am sure people will have to take second look before coming to UW. Wiley says to attract good faculty the UW needs to offer higher salaries. I don't necessarily agree withthat. Wiley jsut needs to act like a responsible leader and quit acting like a big, incompetent asshole.

Also Wiley issued threats to the UW Band members because of their bad behavior. He didn't seem to mind their bad behavior before. I am sure he only did this when this got out nationally.

Wiley also refuses to deal well with the students and their concerns. Recall when the UW undergrad admissions folks photoshopped a black student's face on the UW catalog to make UW look like it was diverse. He took a very long time to apologize to the student and that was only after much national embarassment to the UW.

Also remember when Wiley called the UW police on the students protesting sweatshop laborers outside his office? I don't recall how many days they protested. But he certainly could have met with some of the student representatives to hear their concerns and even held a public forum on the matter. But instead he called the UW police on them and had some of them arrested. The students then had to pay for attorneys, bail.... and have arrest records as a result of his actions. Many local pols protested Wiley's actions and supported the students.

Wiley has also failed to recruit and retain minority students. Many companies will not hire Uw students as they have little exposure to people of different cultures. But if you were a minority student or faculty member, would you want to come to UW??

So like why is Wiley still here. I am sure he can give himself a back-up job if he would resign. Oh yeah, I think they are stopping that practice.

UW needs some real leadership. UW needs a person who is interested in the students and wants to make this a pleasant place to learn and work and not someone who acts irrationally and employs hard-assed tactics against students, faculty and adminstrators when he disagrees or does not want to deal with their concerns.
observer

Postby roadkill bill » Sun May 06, 2007 2:18 pm

Ah, another Foron registers just to push an agenda, although I'm sure there are some nuggets of truth and a story in there somewhere.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Sun May 06, 2007 4:37 pm

There are a lot of companies that hire UW students, unfortunately they are outside the state of Wis. They do a good job of it too.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Is Wiley really toast?

Postby jjoyce » Sun May 06, 2007 9:05 pm

observer wrote:Wiley has also failed to recruit and retain minority students. Many companies will not hire Uw students as they have little exposure to people of different cultures. But if you were a minority student or faculty member, would you want to come to UW?

What a crock. The lack of minorities at the UW has little to do with Wiley.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MPMay » Sun May 06, 2007 10:09 pm

My understanding is that John has been talking, more or less openly, about retiring for a couple of years now. I don't think it is a question of if, it is just a question of when the time is right.

Wiley has done a superb job leading the UW during very difficult budget times. IMO, the only area where he could have done better was in relations with the legislature.
MPMay
Forum Addict

Postby Dodge » Mon May 07, 2007 10:56 am

Re: the calling the cops on the Bascom Hall sit-in . . .

That was former Chancellor Ward. 54 arrests in the middle of the night. 600 rallied the next day for his resignation. He promptly resigned.

Rumor was, though, that Wiley was pushing for the arrests.
Dodge
Forum Addict

Postby Wet_Pavement » Mon May 07, 2007 11:02 am

All I know is I'd like to make a 6 figure salary and ponder retirement for a few years.
Wet_Pavement
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon May 07, 2007 11:35 am

Yes, it's true.

Chancellor John Wiley is actually a bioorganic manbot, constructed entirely out of toast.

However he is not, as rumor would have it, white toast. In unit testing the white bread molecules could not carry the amperes necessary to modulate the concavity.

Wiley is, in fact, rye toast.

[/hoyven maven]
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Wiley's run-ins with students, faculty and staff

Postby observer » Mon May 07, 2007 4:48 pm

Iti s correct that it was Ward who called the police on the students. I beleive Wiley was provost at the time and certainly would have been in a position to address the students' concerns. But Wiley had more recent run-ins because of the sweatshop issues:

http://www.madison.com/archives/read.ph ... 170466.php

Recall that Wiley was going to charge the international students for the cost of software required by the Dept. of Homeland Security to track international students. I recall that many of the international students protested and said they would take their money elsewhere. I recall that it was a national embarassment.

Wiley has it rough. I am not sure what he actually does.
observer

Return to Local Politics & Government