MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

If Thompson runs, will media again ignore his corruption?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Do you think the media will report on corruption in the Thimpson years?

Yes. It's a whole new age.
18%
No, the news media is owned by Republicans.
59%
Don't worry, be happy.
24%

Total votes : 17

If Thompson runs, will media again ignore his corruption?

Postby AlphaLiberal » Fri May 12, 2006 8:53 am

This morning WPR announced Tommy G. Thompson is likely to run for Governor.

When Tommy Thompson started his gubernatorial reign, Wisconsin had a sound claim to being a state with clean politics and government. When Thompson left, Wisconsin government was corrupt. Several of Thompson's political heirs and opponents did not escape public scrutiny and punishment.

Scott Jensen, the convict, learned all about politics at Tommy's feet, after all. Thompson aide and bagman Nick Hurtgen is now at trial in Chicago.

There were many other stories of Thompson corruption. Some were covered by the media and some were ignored. In 1997 the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel ran a weeklong series on corruption in the Thompson Administration. No other state papers touched the story and no DA took action. Many other stories, some highlighted by the Garvey campaign, were ignored by the lapdog press.

Tommy may find the world has changed. There are blogs, there are at least a couple investigative reporters (helloooo, Dee Hall!) and there is a widespread public awareness of corruption in our governemnt. The Thompson record will need to be re-examined. Maybe some in the news media will take off their blinders this time.

Or not. Bush contiunues to get away with corruption of Biblical proportions. Few, if any, publishers are not Republicans.

What do you think? Any chance we'll have an honest look at Thompson's real record?
AlphaLiberal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri May 12, 2006 9:16 am

It doesn't matter. If they do, they'll also take a look at Doyle's record, which at best raises a lot of questions, and is of more recent vintage. The net result is that voters will conclude, hey, they're both kind of crooked, and we'll vote for the guy we like.

I don't think there is a whole lot of doubt over who is better liked.

I'm still not convinced Tommy's going to run.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DamnShame » Fri May 12, 2006 9:18 am

I think the state media will let the past go.
They've got their bi-partisan convicts now and they'll just be looking to make political predictions into the future, not dig up the past.
Although a nice ex-po-zay along the fault lines of corruption while Wisco was Tommyland would be a good read. IMO

It does seem that journalists are starting to get some bite back in their jaws as the malaise of patriotic nationalism post 9-11 starts to wear off.
But the era of Infotainment is not slowing down.
Investigative journalism is a rare (time consuming/expensive) endeavor in our sound-bite times of "news you can use."

Even though Tommy would likely continue to employ his network of good 'ol boys to "get the job done" it is likely that they will not be able to advance the level of alleged corruption that they got away with in the past.
But they'll probably try. And then it will be fun to watch their house of cards come tumbling down.
DamnShame

Postby snoqueen » Fri May 12, 2006 11:22 am

One way to deal with this question would be pre-emptive: let the news media start discussing the corruption of the Thompson era NOW.

We're still paying for it, after all.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Will Tommy run again?

Postby LastWord » Fri May 12, 2006 11:57 am

Thompson's corruption was seen, but not reported, in the offices of state government.
During 8 or so yrs. of Tommy's rein, I was a state employee. When he ran out of older, professional level Repubs to appoint, he dropped down to his 30-something B-list. They either began and/or completed law degrees while working 'full time' at some state departments. Once done, they usually jumped and became lobbyists at the capitol! A few blantanly had their desk tops filled with thier homework, day after day...

One plus about Tommy though, represented folks had a contract, unlike under Doyle. (Doyle's appointees now are mostly from Milwaukee and 'might' charge the state for travel time, WHEN they bother to come to Madison to do business.)
LastWord

Postby Lance Boyle » Fri May 12, 2006 2:59 pm

Tommy will get the same scrutiny as Doyle or Green. There is no clean candidate, so he'll get a pass.

I hope he runs. Green is unacceptable. You can't get much worse than Doyle.

I was a state employee during Thompson's tenure. It was the best of times financially for public employees. I miss those days of 6% annual raises
Lance Boyle
Forum Addict

Postby Ben Manski » Fri May 12, 2006 3:24 pm

I agree. I was an undergrad when Thompson ruled. And a grad student when Doyle first took office. Tommy had me arrested, but if forced to choose between Doyle and Thompson, and not voting was not an option, I don't know what I'd do. Thankfully, there may be another choice, or two, in this race . . .
Ben Manski
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Fri May 12, 2006 4:18 pm

Corruption = meh.

Now, if they decide to cover TT's predilection for nun-porking, that would be worth tuning in for.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Fri May 12, 2006 5:39 pm

Ben Manski wrote:I agree. I was an undergrad when Thompson ruled. And a grad student when Doyle first took office. Tommy had me arrested, but if forced to choose between Doyle and Thompson, and not voting was not an option, I don't know what I'd do. Thankfully, there may be another choice, or two, in this race . . .

Tommy Thompson actually signed an arrest warrant for you? Wow! I didn't know that you were such an impressive threat to the State.

Oh wait, you mean the that UW Police and Security hauled your ass away from a planned civil disobedience event in which the arrest was expected (and maybe even coordinated in advance).

I guess you are ready for public office!

Y'know, it is public statements like these that give people like Daisy the inspiration to post such pointed thread titles. . . .
Last edited by Dulouz on Fri May 12, 2006 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Fri May 12, 2006 6:42 pm

Was it Sister Bernice? She should be doing an advice column...
BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby The Big Cheese » Sat May 13, 2006 3:37 am

Tommy sure did a good job in Washington. He really won over that city!

Guy's a doofus. Basically dealt with anthrax the same way his much funnier brother dealt with CWD.
The Big Cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Sat May 13, 2006 9:53 am

Ben Manski wrote:if forced to choose between Doyle and Thompson, and not voting was not an option, I don't know what I'd do.

If I didn't expect the Republicans to continue in control of the Legislature, I'd agree it's a close call. In the current alignment, I'll stick with the veto pen.
bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government