MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Revolution

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Revolution

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:21 pm

Anyone catch the premiere last night? I rarely watch network TV, but NBC's been promoting this so hard, I had to watch.

The characters seem a bit too well-fed and groomed for folks wandering around 15 years after the lights went out. Especially the ex-Google dude. And I'm sure I've been desensitized by HBO and AMC, but the whole thing seemed a bit watered down and homogenized. The story is nothing new as it's been covered previously by The Stand among others. It was nice to see Chicago so green and peaceful :mrgreen:

I'll watch the next few episodes, but if David Schwimmer shows up as a "special guest star" I'm outta there.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Revolution

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:37 pm

Ya, I felt the same way. I also felt like too much was thrown at us in the first episode. I think the idea has a nice twist with the lack of electricity(I don't know if The Stand went there)

I'll try it a few more times and see if the drama builds.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bandit » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:10 pm

I had high hopes for this show as it had been given good reviews, including one in The Isthmus. What a let down.

This show in a word: stupid.

Bad acting, lame dialogue, and countless, ridiculous implausibilities. Fifteen years without power and all the young actors look like they just walked out of Abercrombie & Fitch? The young woman who's never left her little town going off to rescue her brother but with thong panties sticking up out of her pants as she walks away? Almost every male character is clean shaven? Cars converted into wagons pulled by animals, but no bicycles? I could go on and on...the stupidity of this show...it BURNS.

It's a one and done for me.
Bandit

Postby john_titor » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:06 pm

Between this show and Go On, I am having Dean Robbins doubts.

Meandering half-assed attempt to cash in on a variety of things including The Hunger Games. I predict vampires.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:26 pm

I too was disappointed. It was clearly overhyped.

So they are going to Chicago to look for someone, and find him immediately at the first place they look. Yeah, that is so very plausible. Happens all the time. Just like the character having an asthma attack who, in the middle of nowhere runs into someone who after 15 years, happens to have a working asthma inhaler.

Maybe they were going for comedy, because these and other coincidences are so lame as to be borderline funny.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:45 am

Glad to find some people that agree with me. Everyone else around me seemed enthralled by episode one. Episode two is on the DVR and I'm hoping DH throws it on while I'm busy doing something else.

I can get over a few implausible things (I loved LOST, after all), but it's hard to get over bad acting and the not-at-all-subtle nods to other shows. It smells of extreme audience pandering.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:11 pm

I'll have to say that by the third episode it has gotten much better. There is some character development and I even think the acting has improved. I thought they through a lot out there in the first episode and now I realize they do this every episode.

I am also seeing some similarities with "The Stand" in terms of some of the characters as well as this almost "good vs. evil" approach.

They're also playing off the "mystery" of the secret to the blackout as almost a sub story right now.

Maybe I just like crappy shows, but I will keep watching.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Return to TV