MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wisconsin Film Festival 2009
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

People's Temple documentary

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

People's Temple documentary

Postby bluethedog » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:04 pm

Anybody catch the documentary on PBS tonight? I had no idea Jim Jones was so well connected politically; that is, until he was un-connected.

This one was very well done. Survivor interviews add a lot of weight to it.

"Drinking the kool-aid" is a political catch-phrase nowadays. Watch this to see what it was really all about.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Pantherboy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:40 am

A gripping documentary. I was a bit young when the shit went down on that famous day - I had not remembered the killings of the senator and his crew. The use of Jones' voice telling his followers to kill their children (and then themselves) was chilling, to say the least.

I liked the touch at the end where the 'survivors' were shown sitting (grieving) by the microphones after their interview, and a bit of text told how many family members they lost in this tragedy.
Pantherboy
Forum Addict

Postby aaron » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:10 am

I remember the whole thing like it was yesterday. I was living in San Francisco and within that short period of time, not only did the People's Temple, Leo Ryan murder thing happen, but also the killings of S.F. Mayor George Moscone and gay Supervisor Harvey Milk. The city was in a state of shock.

(I never went into the actual People's Temple in San Francisco, but walked past it many times.) And, yes, Jim Jones was very politically well-connected. He was very charismatic and had his way both psychologically and sexually with both men and women among his followers.

I have not yet seen this documentary, but am looking forward to it. It is in my NetFlix queue. (I didn't realize it was on PBS last night.)
aaron
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:26 am

It's on again tonight:

11 WHA: Tuesday, April 10 10:00 PM
Anthology, Documentary, History

Jonestown: The Life and Death of Peoples Temple

U.S. Rep. Leo Ryan's murder precedes a mass murder/suicide of more than 900 members of Jim Jones' Peoples Temple at a jungle compound in Guyana.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Return to TV