MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 9, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison libraries and e-readers

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?

Re: Madison libraries and e-readers

Postby peripat » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:37 pm

Then again, think about the music industry.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:26 pm

I've been reading e-books from the Madison library on my Nook. The experience is pretty good. The selection of books is okay. The checkout period is two weeks for books that don't have hold requests on them, one week for books that do. One week makes the reading a little rushed.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:58 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:One week makes the reading a little rushed.

My lips would get tired trying to read a long book in a week.

Actually, that's about how long I take, but it sure is nice being able to put a book down and pick it up again a week later. I like the 4 weeks (or whatever it is) that you get with real book. One week rental would feel like assigned chore.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:40 pm

I should add that what I'm using is a hacked Nook Color that dual boots Nook and full (CyanogenMod) Android. The procedure for loading e-books onto the Nook proper seems cumbersome (I think you have to use a cable to connect it to a computer?), so to borrow and read e-books I run Android and use the Overdrive Media Console app, which works great over Wi-Fi.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:34 pm

Whoa. This IS pretty nice. You can set the Nook up with a dual boot (not voiding the warranty) and run a complete not-watered-down Android OS off a mini-SD card same as I did for a while on my netbook only the hardware is much much cooler.

for instance:
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/latest-ga ... g-warranty

Totally accessible instructions, and again you don't have to root the Nook if you don't want to. Apparently it doesn't support Bluetooth yet, though. (??)

That link is from May so you know by now things are even slicker. I figured I'd never get a tablet as long as Apple was the standard (I don't like carrying stuff around I can't afford to lose) but this changes the picture.

Oh why did you make me read that....

Incidentally with regard to the original question on this topic: being able to check out a number of e-books at once is great if you're doing some sort of research. You can check them out, go through and find what you're looking for (or not find it) and return them all in the same sitting. It's as convenient -- or more convenient -- than going to the library in person and paging through a pile of books off the shelves. Setting this up for someone would be a nice Christmas present, regardless of how you go about it.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:38 pm

I think the main thing that's changed since May is that the Kindle Fire and the Nook Tablet came out. One or the other may offer a more robust tablet experience than the Nook Color, which is not super fast and, unless it's hacked, is pretty locked down in terms of apps, etc. All three are relatively cheap, though ($200-250), especially compared to the iPad and other tablets. I am delighted and totally satisfied with my hacked Nook Color. And, right, the device isn't rooted, and I didn't void the warranty. Take out the SD card that I set up (following these directions, and these for the dual boot stuff) and it's a plain old Nook Color.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:06 pm

I've been told that the text on the larger Nook Color is not as clear as the small black & white nook. I only want it to read books, so will go for the cheapo unit. Does anybody know if my info is correct?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Books