MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Overcast and Windy
Collapse Photo Bar

RT Madison - Tulsa

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

RT Madison - Tulsa

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:07 pm

My son moved from Chicago to Tulsa,OK (for a girlfriend) I don't own a car. I casually priced out a Greyhound RT and was very surprised at how expensive it was ($350. !) I haven't checked the airlines yet. (I hate flying.) How do I find a deal? Thanks in advance!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: RT Madison - Tulsa

Postby rabble » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:40 pm

For air, I use hotwire. I heard a guy on public radio say that if you checked all the discount flight websites you find that they're all within a couple dollars of each other for travel within the US. It isn't till you start comparing prices for international travel that you see wide differences. I signed up to get email notices for price drops and saved about a hundred bucks to visit family in Washington state.

I think all ground travel prices, bus and train, will stay high because nobody wants to fly any more.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby brentron909 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:14 pm

Normally I'd say look into Megabus, but they don't have any routes through OK. The closest you could get would be Dallas.

However, Jefferson Bus Lines appears to have direct service from Madison to Tulsa, for considerably less than the Greyhound price you quoted.
brentron909
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:41 pm

I just called Jefferson Bus 800 number and they quoted me the same round trip price as Greyhound.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:55 pm

The bus companies seem to share ticketing some way. It's probably the same bus. Megabus seems to be a couple dozen different companies all impersonating each other. It doesn't matter, it's just how they've decided to network their services.

I don't blame you about the flying -- I hate to fly too and will do nearly anything to avoid it. I just tried to look up Amtrak to Tulsa. They seem to have a station there, and the route is called the Texas Eagle. See if it helps any.

If you have to go to Milwaukee or even Chicago to pick up the Amtrak, there are plenty of buses for that. I like Amtrak. If you have family at the other end to pick you up at some crazy hour of the night, it can work out pretty well.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:05 pm

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:51 pm

Unbelievable! I just checked Expedia, using next weekend as a time frame and I got $700.!

I checked Amtrak, using the same dates, leaving Chicago. They want to take me through Fort Worth and back up to Oklahoma City for around $200. That's not counting the cost of getting from Madison to Chicago. (And cost of food) And that it's a real long trip.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:12 am

You don't have to go all the way to Chicago to get on the train; Columbus also has an Amtrak station. Friends might be more willing to drop you off/pick you up there.
penquin
Forum Addict

Postby green union terrace chair » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:47 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Unbelievable! I just checked Expedia, using next weekend as a time frame and I got $700.!

I checked Amtrak, using the same dates, leaving Chicago. They want to take me through Fort Worth and back up to Oklahoma City for around $200. That's not counting the cost of getting from Madison to Chicago. (And cost of food) And that it's a real long trip.

Uh, for $700 for a flight? Almost any flight that you book only a week out is going to cost a ton. Try looking with some more realistic dates a week out.

Also give http://www.bing.com/travel/ a try. Bing (Microsoft) acquired a site called Farecast some time ago and incorporate their fare predictions. If your dates are flexible, it really can help with finding some deals (or helping you to avoid buying high when you don't have to).
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:24 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
Uh, for $700 for a flight? Almost any flight that you book only a week out is going to cost a ton. Try looking with some more realistic dates a week out.

Also give http://www.bing.com/travel/ a try. Bing (Microsoft) acquired a site called Farecast some time ago and incorporate their fare predictions. If your dates are flexible, it really can help with finding some deals (or helping you to avoid buying high when you don't have to).

I just search Expedia for a flight in October, round trip was $397 with a few choices of departure times.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:22 pm

I tried Bing etc. for Oct, Feb, March and still can't get much under $400. Amtrak is starting to look good.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:34 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I tried Bing etc. for Oct, Feb, March and still can't get much under $400. Amtrak is starting to look good.

Have a look at car rentals, too. It seems perverse, I know, but I've often found it much cheaper overall to drive someone else's car.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:48 am

Here are some sites that might help if you want to get creative with the travel plans and piece something together. It might not be the fastest trip, but it could be fun and you might well find the cheapest way.

I can't tell you how up-to-date any of the info on any of these sites is:

http://www.travel-between.com/route.php ... madison-wi

There is a ok train link between Madison and Tulsa. Amtrak operates two daily trips. Tickets cost $137 and the travel time is 19 hr, 20 min

Others in this topic have offered useful air travel sites, but the ones that combine bus and train connections are kind of fun. Here's a site that gives linkages between buses and trains, and gives the impression Madison-Chicago-Kansas City-Tulsa is pretty workable:

http://www.trainweb.org/amtrak/mw_thrwy.html#KCT

Chicago to KC is by the Southwest Chief (train) and then KC to Tulsa is via Jefferson Lines bus, whose departure time for Tulsa coordinates with the train's arrivals in KC. It appears to work for the return trip as well.

And here's a page for making the trip entirely by bus:

http://www.routefriend.com/

Put in your departure date and the two cities and see what it comes up with.

It all makes me want to take a trip!
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wino » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:16 pm

You can fly from Madison to Oklahoma City on Frontier (connects in Denver) for pretty cheap. I've gotten a round-trip ticket as low as $200. Rent a car or have your son pick you up. It's only a 90 minute drive to Tulsa.
Wino
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:09 am

Wino wrote:You can fly from Madison to Oklahoma City on Frontier (connects in Denver) for pretty cheap. I've gotten a round-trip ticket as low as $200. Rent a car or have your son pick you up. It's only a 90 minute drive to Tulsa.

So why didn't that show up on Expedia etc.?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Travel