MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Amalfi

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

Amalfi

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:42 pm

Going to Italy for spring break: 2 days in Rome, 4 in Amalfi, 2 back in Rome. We've got Rome pretty well covered, but any suggestions for Amalfi? Our plan was to stay for 4 days in Sorrento and take day trips to Naples, Pompeii, Positano, possibly Herculaneum and Capri. This a good plan?

Any suggestions for prioritizing the sightseeing/day trips, where to stay/eat, etc. would be great. Also if you have off-the-beaten path faves for Rome send those along too (our hotels are booked).
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Amalfi

Postby kittenwithawhip » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:53 pm

That's alot of day trips in 4 days. The real joy of the Amalfi Coast is dolce far niente, the sweetness of doing nothing.

Sorrento has plenty to do and lots of connections via bus, train and boat, tho at that time of year the boats may be less than reliable due to weather and shoulder season schedules. If you do want to stay in Sorrento it's an easy train ride to Pompeii and Herculaneum. You can take the Sita bus to Amalfi, they run pretty regularly and the scenery is spectacular along the way. I am partial to Positano myself, been going there for 11 years now, but if you have the time and the weather is good, Ravello is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Villa Cimbrone has breathtaking gardens and Da Salvatore would be a great place to have lunch.

Capri can be lovely, but it's over-touristy in my opinion. The best way to enjoy it is to hike out by the Faraglione rocks, but the boat schedules to get there and back don't leave much time to do that.

Napoli is not for the faint of heart. Its a big, dirty, bustling, energizing, absolute chaos of a city. You will either love it or hate it. The national museum there is amazing, but I would save it for another trip and just enjoy the beauty of the Amalfi and Sorrentino coastlines.

And hey, how about that high speed rail between Roma and Napoli? Pretty sweet. Wish we had one.......

I do write a blog on the Amalfi Coast if you are interested.
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:05 pm

Send link please! Yeah, the trip is packed that's why we are staying in Sorrento as a central location--is this a bad idea? We could do without Capri based on your opinion and others. Weighing whether pizza in Napoli is worth wasting a day. The idea is to stay in Sorrento, one day trip to Herc and Pompeii, maybe one day trip to Positano, maybe one more day trip. Is Positano/Ravello/Amalfi doable in a day?

We have no agenda really, but dislike the idea of schlepping luggage from one small town to the next if they are really close by. Is there an advantage to staying in Positano? Thanks for your help!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kittenwithawhip » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:33 pm

You can get perfectly lovely pizza anywhere on the Amalfi coast. Saraceno D'oro in Positano is far and away my favorite. Altho keep in mind getting a decent lunch near Pompeii or Herc will be difficult. Most places there are pretty nasty and cater to the hoards of tourists.

Positano is my happy place, but for what you want to do Sorrento may be a better idea. It si much easier to get to Pompeii and Herculaneum form Sorrento.

It would be daunting to do Positano, Amalfi and Ravello all in one day. You could easily do Ravello and Amalfi, since you have to go thru the latter to get to the former. If the boats are running and the weather is nice, get a boat from Sorrento to Amalfi, then get a bus from the main square up to Ravello. Have a nice lunch, stomp around the gardens of Villa Rufolo and Villa Cimbrone, take the bus back down to Amalfi, shop for a bit, then get the boat or bus back.

Or if you just want to do Positano, take either the bus or boat in. If you take the bus, get off at Bar Internationale and work your way down to the beach via the thousands of stairs and alley ways. Have a delicious lunch at Da Vincenzo or Saraceno D'oro. Stop and say hi to Soso at his shop! Make your way down to the beach and have an espresso and feed some of the cats. Top it off with a gelato at Buca di Bacca.

I can send you a message with a link to my blog. It's kind of a private blog for friends and family, so I don't have it very public.
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:40 pm

Great, these tips are really helpful. My wife and I keep changing our itinerary based on reading but it helps to have someone in the know. You can send me the blog link at my yahoo email address if there is no way to message me through TDPF (not sure about that). Let me know and I will post it (I have in the past with no problems).
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kittenwithawhip » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:48 pm

Yeah, I can't figure out how to do that messaging thing. So if you don't mind, that would be great. Positano is my second home and I am always happy to share my love of the city, the people and the food!
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:05 pm

I suggest climbing Vesuvius in the morning and visiting Pompeii in the afternoon (which I did five and forty years ago).

I'm going to Capri for a day this June.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:01 pm

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Travel