MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Topics for "Outside the Box"

Got a gig coming up? A CD coming out? A new bass player who looks like Jesus and smells like a field of posies? If you're selling or promoting something, post it here.

Re: Topics for "Outside the Box"

Postby bdog » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:22 am

Yes, all "Henckers" are male.

Your turn Det. Prove your original statement:

Detritus wrote:Given the fact the Stu is guest-hosting Mitch Henck's radio show, it's more likely that he's giving you a chance to pimp your wife's blog using his show. Unless you think that her blog reaches more people than Henck's radio show, of course.

Prove it. Numbers, not adverbs.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:54 am

bdog wrote:
Detritus wrote:Given the fact the Stu is guest-hosting Mitch Henck's radio show, it's more likely that he's giving you a chance to pimp your wife's blog using his show. Unless you think that her blog reaches more people than Henck's radio show, of course.

Prove it. Numbers, not adverbs.

You guys have already proved the second statement there for me: you think her blog reaches more people than Henck's radio show (even though you're unable to provide evidence of that belief). So you want me to prove that it's "more likely" Stu is giving Meade a chance to pimp his wife's blog on Henck's show than vice-versa?

Dunno--call it a hunch, Dave.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:32 pm

A "Hencker hunch".

This is getting good.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:43 pm

bdog wrote:A "Hencker hunch".

This is getting good.

Unlike you, I don't simply think with my large intestine, so time will tell whether it has gotten good or not. I remain agnostic on the question of relative reach until I see some data.
Meade wrote:Detritus, her blog does reach more people, statewide, nationally, and internationally than Henck and Levitan reach combined. Look it up.

I'm not sure what Meade meant by "look it up," since a comparison like that is not something one can just "look up." Here's one way to think about it, though: The entry for the Althouse blog on Webstats. If you click through to some of the tracking and estimation sites (Quantcast.com, for example, you can see monthly estimates of U.S. individual visitors ranging from 20,549 for the month of August to 46,721 for the month of November. That would break down to an average of, let's say, between 663 and 1,507 individuals a day. Does the listenership for Mitch Henck and Stu Levitan combined fall in that range per show? I don't know yet, since meaningful Arbitron data is only released to subscribers and I haven't found a way around that yet. What is your gut feeling?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:21 pm

Good comments Det.

For sure it is a gut feeling on my part. One that was wholly unexamined, so good on you for prodding.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:05 pm

Detritus wrote: If you click through to some of the tracking and estimation sites (Quantcast.com, for example, you can see monthly estimates of U.S. individual visitors ranging from 20,549 for the month of August to 46,721 for the month of November. That would break down to an average of, let's say, between 663 and 1,507 individuals a day. Does the listenership for Mitch Henck and Stu Levitan combined fall in that range per show?

Wow, I guess I should have delved into the numbers - those are much lower figures for Altblog than I had believed. On the basis of this research, I retract my earlier unequivocal statement. Let me see what I can find out about the ratings for Outside the Box and Books & Beats, and give a more informed answer to the underlying question.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:51 pm

To be fair, from what I can dig up, for a single-author blog unsupported by a larger organization, Althouses's numbers are very good. If you scroll down the Webstats page to the traffic report, you can plug in the URLs of other sites to see how they compare. Nate Silver's 538 blog (http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com), sure, that gets a thousand times the traffic of Althouse. But try plugging in ForwardLookout, Brenda Konkel's hangout (http://www.forwardlookout.com/) and you'll see something a lot more typical of single-author blogs that don't have the power of the New York Times behind them. Even the blog run by Jennifer 8. Lee, feted as the youngest regular columnist for the New York Times, featured on her own TedTalk, and author of a book on the Times bestseller list--well, try it yourself: plug in http://www.fortunecookiechronicles.com/blog/ for the comparison with Althouse.com.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:37 pm

I am looking forward to Meade's explanation of exactly what he meant by "look it up."
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:53 am

The Althouse blog has a "sitemeter" icon and I got this when I clicked on it:

Althouse
Site Summary

VISITS

Total 56,445,905   
   Average Per Day 30,031   
   Average Visit Length 3:10   
   Last Hour 1,422   
   Today 7,719   
   This Week 210,220   

PAGE VIEWS

Total 97,204,221   
   Average Per Day 47,880   
   Average Per Visit 1.6   
   Last Hour 2,048   
   Today 10,935   
   This Week 335,161   

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:26 pm

rabble wrote:I am looking forward to Meade's explanation of exactly what he meant by "look it up."

bdog did it. He "looked it up". Probably took him less than 2 minutes.

But, in your defense, rabble, I realize bdog has an IQ that is above average. So it was probably relatively easy for him. You should probably thank him for doing the legwork.

Btw, "page views" is the number that counts.

Now you can look up Stu and Mitch's numbers if you feel like it. Feel free to report back to us.

But Stu is essentially correct upthread - Althouse has very little to gain by glomming on to Stu's fame. Conversely, Stu gets a lot of (undeserved) attention whenever Althouse mentions his name.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:47 pm

Meade, what is the difference between page views and visits?

I think it's an apples and oranges comparison to tell you the truth.

Henck and Levitan are better known locally whereas Althouse is better known in the blogosphere. 2 different worlds and I doubt either one has anything to gain from the other.

Personally, I learn a lot from Althouse.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:25 pm

Meade wrote:Btw, "page views" is the number that counts.

That depends on what you are trying to measure. "Page views" is just the raw count of the number of times any page on a website has been loaded into a browser. It is always at least equal to "visitors" (the number of times the website has been visited by a browser), and typically a bit larger, since a good percentage of visitors view more than one page on a website. That's why you divide pageviews by visitors--the raw number of pageviews can overstate readership.

Ideally, site metering software should measure unique visitors. Otherwise, someone visiting a website several times a day would count as several visitors, which inflates readership and opens up the possibility of fraud (from the point of view of online advertisers, anyway). In practice, it's impossible to completely avoid double-counting visitors--what if they view the site from different computers on the same day?--without requiring them to register in order to read content, so all these numbers should be understood as estimates only.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:47 pm

Thank you, Captain Ahab. Or is it Captain-ess?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:03 pm

Meade wrote:Thank you, Captain Ahab. Or is it Captain-ess?

Careful, Meade--your epidermis is showing.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:23 pm

Meade wrote:Now you can look up Stu and Mitch's numbers if you feel like it. Feel free to report back to us.

Actually I was hoping you'd tell me how you got those numbers too. Otherwise how would you know it was more than two shows combined?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Hype Exchange