MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
sunset tenney park
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Crazy American Eating Habits

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Crazy American Eating Habits

Postby rabble » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:34 pm

Detritus wrote:
rabble wrote:One legend I heard said that Buddha said to use them because the standard utensils of the time, knives, were implements of violence. I don't know if that also applies to forks.

That's an unlikely legend, since the Buddha wasn't Chinese--he was Indian, and they eat with their hands. There are stories (probably apocryphal) that Confucius...

That's it! Confucius! Damn, I always get those two mixed up. The hell reserved for me is going to be interesting.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:37 pm

rrnate wrote:5) Crazy Meat Consumption - not beating the vegetarian drum (I've been one for over 10 years! It's great!) but just an observation that lots of people would be a lot more healthy if they didn't work under the fairly common assumption that it's only a meal if meat is involved.
As someone who only became more health-conscious and more likely to cook for myself over the last few years, I certainly prefer meals with meat. But I almost never cook beef or pork for myself. I generally adhere to the "swims or flies" kind of meat, with a heavy emphasis on the seafood. Not all meats are created equal. A steak has very little in common with some scallops or a nice salmon fillet when it comes to health considerations.

rrnate wrote:...a deep-seated belief that a meal should cost $5 or less.
You spend time in a van with people from 1980? Seriously, what kind of a meal costs $5 these days besides Taco Bell?
rrnate wrote: People spend so much money on the stupidest shit and it haunts me that so many people spend so little of their money on eating well.
I couldn't agree more.

rrnate wrote:Also, Wagstaff, stop eating like a pussy.
I cannot imagine what this is supposed to mean. I eat like a champ.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:05 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
rrnate wrote:...a deep-seated belief that a meal should cost $5 or less.
You spend time in a van with people from 1980? Seriously, what kind of a meal costs $5 these days besides Taco Bell?

Yeah, pretty much. These guys seem to be able to exist primarily on fast food, which I don't think is all that uncommon. Sometimes we'll settle on Subway, where at least I can get some real vegetables. (That being said, DO NOT EVER GET THE BREAKFAST SUBS AT SUBWAY - they're inedible and a pox on humanity.)
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:16 pm

rrnate wrote: Sometimes we'll settle on Subway, where at least I can get some real vegetables.

5...5 dollar...5 dollar foot loooonnggsss.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:23 pm

In college, I had a friend who was Japanese and came from Hawaii. She showed me how to not only eat with but cook with chopsticks and I've preferred them ever since. I use chopsticks exclusively at home and whenever possible in public. (Of course they're not for soup, but they're great for fishing the noodles out of the soup before you drink the broth.)

I wouldn't try to convert other Americans to chopstick-dining, but I like them because they're tidy, cheap, and simple.

I'm a mostly-veg, so the question of cutting steak never comes up.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:32 pm

snoqueen wrote:I wouldn't try to convert other Americans to chopstick-dining, but I like them because they're tidy, cheap, and simple.

I know someone who uses chopsticks all the time. I once watched him eat macaroni and cheese one noodle at at time with chopsticks. It drove me fucking nuts.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:35 pm

On a good day, I can pick up a single grain of rice with chopsticks. On a bad day, sushi is a challenge.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:05 pm

Chewing with your mouth open. If you do that in front of me, I wanna punch you in the face.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues