MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Good Chinese food?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Good Chinese food?

Postby prenticeberge » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:51 pm

Sala Thai is good. It's also a Thai restaurant, not Chinese. :-)
prenticeberge

Postby NullDevice » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:22 pm

Go to Imperial Garden West. Skip the restaurant. Go to the gas station, and get something from the deli in back. That's some serious stuff. Their BBQ pork is unreal.

The chef from China Palace is now at the estimable Lao Sze Chuan in chicago's chinatown.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Loongy22 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:12 am

I tried searching for any other similar topics and I couldn't find any. So, here I am resurrecting this thread in hopes of finding an updated answer for this topics' question : Any place with good Chinese food? Especially near campus?
Loongy22

Postby LargeMarge » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:24 pm

Loongy22 wrote:I tried searching for any other similar topics and I couldn't find any. So, here I am resurrecting this thread in hopes of finding an updated answer for this topics' question : Any place with good Chinese food? Especially near campus?

I really like Fugu. They are just off State Street on Gilman. They are one of the few Chinese restaurants that doesn't seem to use the same generic American Chinese menu. My only problem with their food is that it is a bit greasy. However, the flavors are wonderful. I can't speak to their authenticity; I have never been to China.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:33 pm

I've had the pleasure of reviewing Orient House and Ichiban on South Park St. Orient House is pretty good; Ichiban is terrific.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Loongy22 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:00 pm

Thanks for the suggestions; I've been to Fugu quite a bit and I love their Cumin Lamb to death but I think their quality has gone down a bit in the past month or so. I'll go check orient house and Ichiban out as alternatives.
Loongy22

Postby skrattypants » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:05 pm

The jellyfish at Yen Ching's Sunday "dim sum", especially if it's heavy on the Chinese mustard that day. Read about it here on the DPF one squillion years ago in the Days of Righteous Foodies.

If you're a regular, they'll trot you out some very nice special gratis items if it's slow.
skrattypants
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:35 pm

Aubrey McFate wrote:I like the Jade Garden.

you gotta be kidding me! Well, I like the JG too, for my own purposes. I frequent their buffet because it is cheap and I am cheap. It is a friendly place. But the food is just passable, and I am surprised to see someone step forward to recommend it.

There is only one good chinese buffet in Madison, and that is the large buffet in south town, I forget its name. I say it is good because they have a huge selection of fresh vegetable and shrimp and etc. that you load up yourself, and a nice mexican man stir frys for you. It is really excellent, lots of sauces & spices to choose from, you can build yourself a healthful (well sort of, minus the cooking oil) and delicious meal.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:45 pm

bassbari wrote:Nam's Noodle on Regent has a wonderful Chinese as well as SE Asian menu. .

Ya, that's a good place, huge menu, consistent quality.

skrattypants wrote:The jellyfish at Yen Ching's Sunday "dim sum", especially if it's heavy on the Chinese mustard that day. Read about it here on the DPF one squillion years ago in the Days of Righteous Foodies.

If you're a regular, they'll trot you out some very nice special gratis items if it's slow.

Yen Ching's an EXCELLENT chinese restaraunt, out on midvale near the beltline. Oh man, that place makes delicious food. A casual, inexpensive place. I've been meaning to try the Sunday dim sum.

http://yenchingmadison.com/
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madcity Expat » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:31 am

NullDevice wrote:Go to Imperial Garden West. Skip the restaurant. Go to the gas station, and get something from the deli in back. That's some serious stuff. Their BBQ pork is unreal.

The chef from China Palace is now at the estimable Lao Sze Chuan in chicago's chinatown.

I worked as a bartender and waiter at Imperial West for 4 years in the 90s. The resturant is a excellent place to eat (though if busy can service can suffer). But let me say that Null knows what s/he is talking about.
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:35 pm

The gas station tip might be the best food tip I've seen in awhile around here. Tomorrow I shall see if it lives up to the hype.

I concur with Yen Ching. Consistently good and a variety of more americanized options or more authentic. Would love to try the Sunday Dim Sum.

I've steered away from the Hilldale Chinese place, as it's rare good food happens in a mall. But I'll give it a shot. A little roll of the dice with Chinese food never hurt anyone, right? :mrgreen:
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby NullDevice » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:49 pm

HK Wok in Hilldale is pretty good, but best on weekends when they do the congee "brunch."

There's a new "Szechuan" place opening on university, but I know nothing about it. Any ideas or news?
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:45 pm

NullDevice wrote:HK Wok in Hilldale is pretty good, but best on weekends when they do the congee "brunch."

There's a new "Szechuan" place opening on university, but I know nothing about it. Any ideas or news?

Short ribs in black bean sauce at HK Wok is (are?) superb.

It may be my imagination, but it sure seems like Sichuan is the new Thai. Every time I turn around there's a new Sichuan restaurant.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:23 pm

I am totally okay with that trend.

I wouldn't mind hunan, either.

Although aside from Fugu (which I liked, but wasn't quite what I'd hoped) the sichuan places in madison don't seem to last long.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:37 pm

I'll support any place that does cumin lamb and dry chili chicken in a style reasonably similar to Lao Sze Chuan back home.

Fugu is alright, but they use thicker hunks of lamb and a smaller dice of chili in the cumin lamb, as well as chopping up the peppers in the dry chili chicken and actually charring them during cooking.

It's still tasty, but not as amazing as I've become accustomed to enjoying.
Petro
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues