MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Saturday, April 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Banana ketchup (aka banana sauce)

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Banana ketchup (aka banana sauce)

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:11 pm

Just discovered this in the ethnic foods aisle at Copps-University. So fascinating, I bought it on spec.

I know it's nothing amazingly rare or wonderful, but I found it pretty cool. Anyone have any good uses for it before I start experimenting and potentially ruining good food?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lisalee » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:24 pm

Make your own!
Here is a recipe for banana guava ketchup! you put it on spicy grilled or roasted meat or veggies! It cools the heat.

Banana Guava Ketchup

4 Yellow Onions, chopped small
8 Tbsp Olive Oil
20 Bananas
4 Cups Guava Nectar
8 Tbsp Brown Sugar
4 Tbsp Curry Powder
2 Cups Orange Juice
8 Tbsp White Vinegar
1 Cup Lime Juice
Salt & Pepper to taste

1. In a heavy bottomed pan, sauté the onion and olive oil over medium heat until transparent, about 5-7 minutes. Mash the banana and add to the pan, cook over moderate heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly to avoid sticking. Add the guava, brown sugar, curry, orange juice, and 1 tbsp of the vinegar.
2. Bring to a boil and simmer gently for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining tbsp of vinegar, the lime juice, and salt and pepper.
3. Cool & Refrigerate
lisalee

Postby Paco » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:53 am

Why is it red? Is it made from those red bananas? See what the side of the bottle suggests using it on. I have no idea, regular ketchup works just fine for me.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:51 am

Paco wrote:Why is it red? Is it made from those red bananas? See what the side of the bottle suggests using it on. I have no idea, regular ketchup works just fine for me.

Thanks for your contribution.

lisalee, too late, but thanks! I already bought a bottle.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:36 am

Funny you brought this up, I almost made a batch of this myself yesterday(I ended up making a mustard barbecue). I don't know why they don't market it as banana barbecue sauce instead of ketchup; it sounds more palatable than the latter, if you ask me.

Anyway, in addition to grilled chicken, I figure it has to be pretty tasty with grilled fish(salmon, tuna, swordfish) and probably even pork.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:52 am

BTW, for those in search of matching flavors, I strongly recommend the cookbook Culinary Artistry by Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page. There are probably no more than 20 actual recipes in the cookbook, but it pairs complementary ingredients with just about any tpye of food you can think of.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:37 pm

The only place I've ever heard of banana ketchup is with embutido which is a Filipino style meatloaf

http://www.allfavoriterecipe.com/Recipe ... noMeatloaf).aspx
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BobArctor » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:57 pm

I used to have a cookbook with recipes for Oyster, mushroom, and berry ketchup. It seems that ketchup included a wide variety of tasty sauces. Commercially produced tomato ketchup has cast a spell of forgetfulness on us all.
BobArctor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:00 pm

meowzamusic wrote:The only place I've ever heard of banana ketchup is with embutido which is a Filipino style meatloaf

http://www.allfavoriterecipe.com/Recipe ... noMeatloaf).aspx

That stuff looks crazy! You just haven't fully taken your life into your own hands enough until you've put a chorizo sausage and a hard boiled egg in the middle of your meatloaf.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rosemary » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:35 pm

O.J. wrote:BTW, for those in search of matching flavors, I strongly recommend the cookbook Culinary Artistry by Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page. There are probably no more than 20 actual recipes in the cookbook, but it pairs complementary ingredients with just about any tpye of food you can think of.

STRONGLY agreed. The reference sections to which you're referring are worth the price of admission.
Rosemary
Forum Addict

Re:

Postby Ducatista » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:32 pm

O.J. wrote:Anyway, in addition to grilled chicken, I figure it has to be pretty tasty with grilled fish(salmon, tuna, swordfish) and probably even pork.

First time I had it was years ago at Jolly Bob's, when JB's first opened. That was also my introduction to jerk pork.

Banana ketchup was the perfect accompaniment to extra-spicy jerk pork. Fuck that was good. One of those moments of gustatory enlightenment.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Banana ketchup (aka banana sauce)

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:31 pm

I reported the doofy post before Duca's, knowing (somehow!) that it would be edited to include a link JUST before a new post arrived after it.

Lo and behold...

Fuck off and die, spammers
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:10 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:You just haven't fully taken your life into your own hands enough until you've put a chorizo sausage and a hard boiled egg in the middle of your meatloaf.

I've done the egg, but never the chorizo sausage in the meatloaf. That might make me mess my pants a little bit. Thanks for the tip.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:29 pm

While working wonders as a remedy for depression, banana ketchup does little to temper surly attitudes.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues