MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, April 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Country Kitchen on E. Wash

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Country Kitchen on E. Wash

Postby chleppr » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:11 pm

Just moved back to town after 12 years away. Went to E. Wash Country Kitchen today for breakfast/lunch. A sign on the door said they were closed. Anybody know anything?
chleppr

Postby Flat_Atom » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:43 pm

Wouldn't surprise me if they were closed. That was their flagship store and the last one standing in Madison. They've been having financial problems for the last decade+ (at least) and the food there was getting worse by the day. I'm pretty sure that entire chain is going the way of the dodo, if it hasn't already. They screwed over a lot of their franchise owners. Bad ownership but they may still have a few stores in smaller communities (i.e. the Dells).
Flat_Atom
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:47 pm

Flat_Atom wrote:Wouldn't surprise me if they were closed. That was their flagship store and the last one standing in Madison.

Wasn't there one by Westtowne as well?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:00 pm

Isn't the former Peppermill Grill an offshoot of Country Kitchen? Well the one on Gammon Road closed and is going to be replaced by this:
[quote]Replacing the Peppermill is a new establishment, The Tilted Kilt Pub and Eatery. This should be quite an interesting test for Madison. The first Tilted Kilt opened in Las Vegas, featuring scantily clad women in attire even more revealing than other more famous “scantily clad womenâ€Â
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:12 pm

[quote="Henry Vilas"]Isn't the former Peppermill Grill an offshoot of Country Kitchen? Well the one on Gammon Road closed and is going to be replaced by this:
[quote]Replacing the Peppermill is a new establishment, The Tilted Kilt Pub and Eatery. This should be quite an interesting test for Madison. The first Tilted Kilt opened in Las Vegas, featuring scantily clad women in attire even more revealing than other more famous “scantily clad womenâ€Â
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:58 pm

Damn, they make Hooters girls look like prudes.

I would like to go and enjoy me some Tilted Kilt.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:14 pm

Shouldn't it be called the Tilted Klit?
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Country Kitchen on South Park

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:14 pm

Back in the day, I used to eat at the Country Kitchen, S.Park, about once a week. I'm trying to remember their name for that burger with the bacon on it. Panhandler?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chleppr » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:17 pm

Just wanted to eat there for old time's sake. The food always kind of sucked, but didn't matter because it was after bars. Guess I'll have to resort to IHOP or Perkins for that...
chleppr

Postby meowzamusic » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:44 pm

I just noticed that the IHOP by East Towne has a sign up advertising a Friday Nite Fish Fry.
Ooh, fish pancakes anyone?
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:54 am

chleppr wrote:Just wanted to eat there for old time's sake. The food always kind of sucked, but didn't matter because it was after bars. Guess I'll have to resort to IHOP or Perkins for that...

According to their website, you'll have to hit Dodgeville, Beaver Dam or Mauston if you want to enjoy some Country Kitchen.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Country Kitchen on South Park

Postby bat17 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:05 am

Bwis53 wrote:Back in the day, I used to eat at the Country Kitchen, S.Park, about once a week. I'm trying to remember their name for that burger with the bacon on it. Panhandler?

Bootlegger.
bat17

Postby beenie » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:41 pm

HeyZeus wrote:According to their website, you'll have to hit Dodgeville, Beaver Dam or Mauston if you want to enjoy some Country Kitchen.

The one in Beaver Dam is especially entertaining at bar time. If you're into drunk hicks in acid wash and their skanky, scrunchie-clad women having screaming matches, that is.
beenie
Forum Addict

Postby JohnnyBlood » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:44 pm

On a similar note, the last Shakey's Pizza that I know if in the area (Janesville, WI) also recently closed. While it was a shell of its former past, I was sad to see it go.
JohnnyBlood

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:16 pm

JohnnyBlood wrote:On a similar note, the last Shakey's Pizza that I know if in the area (Janesville, WI) also recently closed. While it was a shell of its former past, I was sad to see it go.

Ahhhh...Shakey's. My youth yearns for a big slice of pepperoni and a pile of mojo's.

This is why I love wikipeida...this is the second time today I wiki'ed a childhood food memory. Earlier today it was Burger Chef (and Jeff).

Shakey's Pizza is a pizza restaurant chain based in the United States. The chain currently has about 400 stores, about 60 in the United States and the rest in Asia.

What the fuck? 60 stores in the US and the rest in Asia? What do they call the ones in Bejing, PF Shakey's?
Sideshow Bob
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues