MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, April 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

quiznos

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby roadkill bill » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:50 pm

Quizno's is my favorite of the large chain sub places. FAR superior to Subway. [gak - Subway is my choice when driving the Interstate, and other options are McD's and Burger King.]

I also frequent the one on the Square, and Omar et al are some of the most pleasant and attentive fast food workers I have ever encountered.

Most sandwiches come with veggies, as far as I can tell. Perhaps you just hit the few that don't. Roast beef is always a questionable option at a place that advertises nationally. There is just no way it is going to be good.

My favorite is the Monterey Chicken Ranch, or something like that. They also have some sort of very tasty hot sauce that they put on sandwiches. MMMMM.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bucksnort » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:32 am

The manager at the Monona Dr. Broadway store is a real jerk. Can't stand it when people speak Spanish in front of the customer. Reminds me too much of the Seinfild episode with Elaine and the Korean manicurists. Just plain rude. I wonder how many of his employees are legal eagles.
bucksnort
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:37 am

bucksnort wrote:The manager at the Monona Dr. Broadway store is a real jerk. Can't stand it when people speak Spanish in front of the customer. [...] Just plain rude. I wonder how many of his employees are legal eagles.

bucksnort -

I'm so sorry that these (presumed) illegal aliens ruined your sandwich experience. Apparently Quizno's sandwiches are toasty with contempt for our immigration laws, and for the anglo-saxon heritage which made our country great.

On your behalf I'm heading right over to Michelle Malkin's website, to make her aware of your pathetic honky trauma.

Courage.

-m-
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:15 pm

Marvell wrote:
bucksnort wrote:The manager at the Monona Dr. Broadway store is a real jerk. Can't stand it when people speak Spanish in front of the customer. [...] Just plain rude. I wonder how many of his employees are legal eagles.

bucksnort -

I'm so sorry that these (presumed) illegal aliens ruined your sandwich experience. Apparently Quizno's sandwiches are toasty with contempt for our immigration laws, and for the anglo-saxon heritage which made our country great.

On your behalf I'm heading right over to Michelle Malkin's website, to make her aware of your pathetic honky trauma.

Courage.

-m-

Say, that Quizno's name even sounds kind of Mexican...
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:18 pm

blunt wrote:
Marvell wrote:

bucksnort -

Courage.

-m-

Say, that Quizno's name even sounds kind of Mexican...

And you know, they got a pepper bar. . . .
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby grumpus » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:00 pm

FYI -

Quizno's was in the news a few years ago b/c its franchisees were VERY disillusioned with the company.

Quizno's makes all its franchisees buy all of the meat, cheese, and veggies from their specific vendor. They are NOT allowed to buy local, or to find something cheaper, etc. This is good for the customer in terms of consistency, but it means that it's WAY more expensive and less profitable for the franchisee.

That may explain why they are a bit stingy on the veggies, etc. But I have never had anything but good treatment when I'm there. If you want more, ask for 'em. Be specific (there can, on occasion, be a wee tiny bit of a language barrier).

My only complaint, as a worker whose company only gives a lousy 30 minutes for lunch, is that Quizno's is the only "casual dining" place that's fairly good and quick on the square (other than the carts). I don't exactly want a sea of McDonald's or anything, but sometimes the line at Quizno's is out the door....a few other choices on the Square for quick and easy would be nice, is all.
grumpus

Postby lysander » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:23 am

grumpus wrote:My only complaint, as a worker whose company only gives a lousy 30 minutes for lunch, is that Quizno's is the only "casual dining" place that's fairly good and quick on the square (other than the carts). I don't exactly want a sea of McDonald's or anything, but sometimes the line at Quizno's is out the door....a few other choices on the Square for quick and easy would be nice, is all.

Seriously? Not enough lunch options on the square? What about:
Gotham's Bagels
Mercury Deli (?)
Subway
Local Tavern
Cafe Continental
That one lunch counter in the City County Building (or its other location in the State Administration Building)
Milio's
Shamrock
Paradise
The place in the basement of the Capitol (haven't been there for a while, not sure if it still exists)
Myles Teddywedger's Pasties
Ian's
Michaelangelo's (they've got sandwiches)

And that's not counting the other, more formal places or places that are more than a block off the square, or delivery, or the Wednesday farmer's markets during the summer.

I understand that time is an issue for lunch, but take a walk around after work some time and do some recon. It'll be worth it.

Regarding Quizno's: I think they're pretty good and have had good sandwiches there.
lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:31 am

eriedasch wrote:Furthermore it likely has to do with location. I went to the one on Junction Road. Blunt is talking about the one on the square. The veteran sub guy at the downtown location probably has one or two up on the clueless high schoolers working at Junction location.

That's why I stopped going there...too much hassle to get the employees attention and then repeat my order until they get it. Went to Milio's for first time yesterday and ordering was much easier, but I didn't like the sub as much.

I'll have to try the nearest subway next.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dirty Dusty Rhoads » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:24 pm

gargantua wrote:Generally speaking, I like Quizno's OK, but Gino's subs are WAY better.

I agree.

Quizno's is just to damn expensive. Plus, the service usually sucks. I'm guessing most of their employees are out on Huber release.
Dirty Dusty Rhoads
Forum Addict

Postby evansvillehousewife » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:13 pm

After looking at that hideous Quizno's nuclear rat, I finally figured out what the mouth is from.
My 7 year old boy just lost his front teeth and his mouth looks like that. Two adult incisors just beginning to grow through in a mouth full of little baby teeth.

That mouth belongs to someone's baby.

They put that thing in that baby's baby book.
evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Postby evansvillehousewife » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:15 pm

lysander wrote:Seriously? Not enough lunch options on the square? What about:
Gotham's Bagels
Mercury Deli (?)
Subway
Local Tavern
Cafe Continental
*snip great list*

Don't forget about St James free meal program, neither.

It just occurred to me how LUCKY we are to be persnickety about restaurant food.
evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:24 pm

Fromaggination has some pre-made sandwiches too.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bucky Goldstein » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:51 pm

[quote="lysander]
Seriously? Not enough lunch options on the square? What about:

Mercury Deli (?)
[/quote]

the mercury is no longer open for lunch and that's a damned tragedy. gotham's is filling in nicely($2.50 for an egg & cheese sandwich on an egg everything bagel = best deal on the square. if you want something more filling the spanish harlem is awesome.), but i miss my prosciutto sammich with that awesome fresh mozz and mercury sauce.
Bucky Goldstein
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues