MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, April 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Blue Spoon Café in Middleton

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Blue Spoon Café in Middleton

Postby Slick Willy » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:57 pm

Culver's opened a slightly more upscale restaurant in Prairie du Sac and just recently in Middleton as well.

I tried it about a week and a half after it opened in Middleton, and I liked it. My friend, his toddler, and I all enjoyed what we had, although I must say that the Blue Spoon isn't really geared towards kids. There's a lot to choose from on their menu, nice decor, extensive wine list, mixed drinks galore, and gelato instead of custard like at Culver's. It's definitely is going to hurt business a little bit over at the Hubbard Avenue Diner. Hubbard still has the Blue Spoon beat when it comes to desserts, though.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Bellwether » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:35 pm

I read an article about this on madison.com. Whereabouts is it, though? I could Google, but it's so much more fun to ask.
Bellwether
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:39 pm

tried to go there on sunday after checking the website (no hours posted)
but with pancakes and other breakfast items on the menu figured for sure it would be open.
got there around noon, it was not open, and no hours posted on the door or windows
fuck that place.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Slick Willy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:10 pm

Bellwether wrote:I read an article about this on madison.com. Whereabouts is it, though? I could Google, but it's so much more fun to ask.

It's across the street from the Culver's and Bruce Company in Middleton on the corner of a little strip mall.
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Bellwether » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:57 pm

Many thank yous.
Bellwether
Forum Addict

Postby neuwaver » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:52 pm

It will be a good long while before I head back to this place. And contrary to what was stated above the place was full of kids the evening I went. Lots of screamers.

I asked if they had any carbonated water and after 10 minutes the reply came back - "no, all we have is tap." Okay, could you just hit the button on the soda machine back there? No. Well, tap it is!

I ordered the salad with the "crispy pancetta" (burnt ham to you and me) and they forgot it. The waitress came back with it in a bowl and unceremoniously dumped it on my plate. Okay!

Our parties' food overall sounded better on the menu than when it came out of the kitchen. And the gelato was...funky. Off.

We weren't asked how we wanted the bill, and there were three of us there on business, so we each needed our own bill. It took about 20 minutes of wrangling to get that taken care of.

I was soooo disappointed, I was really looking forward to this place for something a little different.
neuwaver

Return to Cooking & Food issues