MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Another Food Related Pet Peeve

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby supereightsnate » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:22 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Marvell wrote:
For a lot of small business owners, closing their 'bricks and mortar' storefront is the only way they ever get a day off.
That hardly makes it any less annoying.

C'mon. The hardworking guys at Cleavland's more than deserve a day off a week.
supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:29 pm

you can take as much time off as you want but if you have signage on your store front that says you are open on certain days and at certain times, well, shouldn't you be OPEN? especially when "restauarant guides" in local papers also note that you are open at said times?
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:42 pm

cubanat wrote:you can take as much time off as you want but if you have signage on your store front that says you are open on certain days and at certain times, well, shouldn't you be OPEN? especially when "restauarant guides" in local papers also note that you are open at said times?

Ugh. I am reduced to quoting myself:

I wrote:I'm just pointing out what would seem to me a largely unremarkable aspect of the restaurant business. I don't know why people think this means I'm defending RP's; those guys are clowns - I picked up on that the one and only time I went in there for lunch.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:21 pm

Marvell wrote:I don't know why people think this means I'm defending RP's; those guys are clowns - I picked up on that the one and only time I went in there for lunch.

I've never eaten RP's pasta, to the best of my knowledge, and I don't know the people who own RP's, but I do know quite a few people who like their product, who know the owners and who speak highly of the owners. RP's is also distributed in five or six states and sold in about 40+ stores...so not too bad for some clowns down on Willy Street.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:56 pm

Yeah, well - The Fork and The Spoon sucks. The service is terrible and it's an uncomfortable space.

Everybody loved Pasqual's once. And the Ovens of Brittany. And Crandall's.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue May 01, 2007 7:51 am

That reminds me, I did once try to go to RP's wayyyy back several years back and they were closed 30 minutes earlier than their sign indicated then too.

It is an annoying thing to do. I used to live in an apartment building with an office. The office would accept packages and hold them for us. But they were never there during the first hour of office hours nor the last hour, so it would sometimes take days before I could actually retrieve it.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue May 01, 2007 8:18 am

Marv -

I understand why some businesses are closed on some days. I also know why road construction causes highway delays. I'm unclear how knowing these things makes them any less annoying?

So, forgive me for being annoyed that I couldn't order a pizza from Pavlov's on a Monday night when I was actually craving one. Forgive me for being annoyed that I drove all the way out past the mall to go to the Video Game XChange only to discover that they are inexplicably closed on Tuesdays. Forgive me for being annoyed that on the rare occasions I make it down by State St. it's usually a Sunday, which means I can't get me a bellyful of Plaza Burger. Forgive me for being annoyed that Rosati's is closed on Sunday afternoons (even during football games!) In a nutshell, forgive me for being annoyed.

Fact is, experiences such as the ones I described above tend to cause customers to think twice before attempting to give someone business in the future. Every time I'm annoyed that you're closed it gets increasingly unlikely that I'll give you a chance in the future.

Anyway, the title of this thread is "Another Food Related Pet Peeve" which is exactly what I posted - a pet peeve. I'm glad to hear you're not as easily annoyed as I am (who is?) but come on, you make it sound like I suggested the owners of these businesses should be shot or something when all I did was express my opinion that businesses should be open during regular working hours. How dare I? I should be pilloried!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue May 01, 2007 8:52 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I should be pilloried!

Everyone should be pilloried - at least once.

Kind of like everyone should see Venice.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue May 01, 2007 8:56 am

Marvell wrote:Everyone should be pilloried - at least once.

Fair enough.
But if I show up for my pillorying only to be informed that you're closed on Tuesdays, I'm a-gonna be annoyed!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Tue May 01, 2007 10:44 am

On a recent trip to New Orleans I found to my extreme annoyance that just because a business said "open" was no said assurance that it actually would be. Seems folks in the Big Easy are just a little too slack to be troubled with things like flipping the sign in the front window...

It made me appreciate the tight-assed work ethic and general orderliness that one comes to expect of the upper Midwest. Of course Madison is also a college town with a Hippy past and present-so you never know if the help is either baked out of their heads or simply frustrated and resentful with the reality of being employed so far beneath their years of education level...
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

agreed

Postby boston_jeff » Tue May 01, 2007 11:22 am

Mom and pop's have to close at some point, in some European cities, you can't find a good restaurant open on Sunday or Monday. We've just gotten used to getting whatever we want, whenever we want.

From what I remember of Kitchen Confidential, Sunday or Monday were also not good days to order fish and certain types of meat. They try to push the old stuff on you before the deliveries come in. Avoid any type of seafood frittata on these days, or what could be leftover meats at Sunday brunch too. Then again, Bourdain also hated people who only ate out on Friday or Saturday. Called them tourists...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue May 01, 2007 11:26 am

steveo wrote:lincoln freed the slaves

Grudgingly.
And for all the wrong reasons.

I still get upset at places that leave their open sign lit after hours.
Liars!
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Tue May 01, 2007 12:13 pm

Anthony Bourdain also said to avoid Sunday brunch because not only are they looking to sell the leftovers and other items that didn't move but its going to be prepared by the "B-team" ie: drug addled screwups and people who are trying to hone their chops so as they don't have to keep washing dishes.

Even better tho' he says that Gormet eating always involves some element of risk!

Kitchen Confidential is a great book if you can stomach it-otherwise it it may put you off of eating out altogether. Everyone I know who works in food says its all pretty much true.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue May 01, 2007 12:36 pm

GenieU wrote:Anthony Bourdain also said to avoid Sunday brunch because not only are they looking to sell the leftovers and other items that didn't move but its going to be prepared by the "B-team" ie: drug addled screwups and people who are trying to hone their chops so as they don't have to keep washing dishes.
Kitchen Confidential is a great book if you can stomach it-otherwise it it may put you off of eating out altogether. Everyone I know who works in food says its all pretty much true.

Well, at least for the Shamrock, he's got the drug-addled part right.
But that's all.
The beauty of the hedonistic heaven of the morning Shamfest is we prepare food we don't do during the week especially for breakfast.
Plus, we use an actual chef-like creature and everything!
And none of us wash dishes.
We just throw them away and keep stealing more from the Tornado.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues