MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 9, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Peruvian Restaurant on S. Park St. - Open Yet?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby cubanat » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:32 pm

I think a vegetaian might do fine here but not a vegan. Lots of seafood (real crab meat in my dish btw) but I ordered what looked like a seafood pozole type of soup and got the one that had milk/cream in it. Server swore it was correct even though it didn't look anything like the photo on the menu...just be carefulI guess. It was delicious though.
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:39 pm

I assume those two points are unrelated? I don't know any vegetarians who eat seafood. Are there a few veggie entres?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:48 pm

TAsunder wrote:I assume those two points are unrelated? I don't know any vegetarians who eat seafood. Are there a few veggie entres?

You're tapping in to an older discussion of what makes a vegetarian a "vegetarian." Some people call themselves vegetarians (or, more generally, some people consider vegetarianism to be thus) if they avoid red meat, or land-based meat. Seafood, and to a lesser extent poultry, is often left out of consideration for "vegetarians," while it does get lumped into the vegan list of prohibitions.

So the answer you're actually looking for in this case is, how does it work for vegans? The answer, apparently, is "not so well."
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:07 pm

Well, I know about a dozen vegetarians who don't eat anything that was once a mobile creature, but no vegans. Vegan diets are really restrictive, I'm just looking for whether there are entrees with no animals from land or sea. Or air. Dairy products would be ok.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:08 pm

And BTW, anyone who eats seafood but calls themselves a vegetarian should consult a dictionary.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:20 pm

TAsunder wrote:And BTW, anyone who eats seafood but calls themselves a vegetarian should consult a dictionary.

Hey, I agree with you. I'm just giving you the heads-up.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:56 pm

TAsunder wrote:Well, I know about a dozen vegetarians who don't eat anything that was once a mobile creature, but no vegans.

Then what, exactly, do they eat. All life has mobility--maybe not in the strict quadro or biped concept, but even trees and plants "move".

TAsunder wrote:Vegan diets are really restrictive, I'm just looking for whether there are entrees with no animals from land or sea. Or air. Dairy products would be ok.

A friend of mine said nothing with "eyes" until he realized it meant no potatoes. :wink:
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tibor » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:27 pm

Do they serve cuy? Never had the guts to try it when I was there. Watching it come out of the kitchen made me think perhaps vegetarianism isn't that bad after all.
tibor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Darthcrank » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:57 am

TAsunder wrote:I assume those two points are unrelated? I don't know any vegetarians who eat seafood. Are there a few veggie entres?

The quick answer: no.

My wife is a vegetarian and was disappointed to find almost nothing on the menu that was specifically designated vegetarian fare. However, when we asked the server about vegetarian dishes, she readily pointed out several dishes that converted very well. My wife loved everything she tried and wants to go back.

My impression was that our server had already been asked that question *alot*. I think it is only a matter of time before they change the menu to include a vegetarian section, a major oversight in this town...
Even if the veggie menu items are simply adaptations of things currently on the menu, having them listed as vegetarian options makes vegetarians feel like they belong instead of feeling adapted-to.

My food was delicious, and I finally know what "yucca" is.
Darthcrank
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:12 am

Darth, thanks for your post, that sounds encouraging for a potential work outing.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Darthcrank » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:03 pm

tibor wrote:Do they serve cuy? Never had the guts to try it when I was there. Watching it come out of the kitchen made me think perhaps vegetarianism isn't that bad after all.

I would think that such a thing would either be business suicide or a huge business boom.

A boom would be short lived, because activists would soon pass an ordinance against eating rodents, and the loss of business from those more sensitive than adventurous in their food choices would be *very* long lasting.

As the first Peruvian food ambassador to Madison, I'm thinking that is a dish best saved for a better day.
Darthcrank
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu May 03, 2007 12:49 pm

I'm a vegetarian, and the question I get all the time is "Do you eat fish?", which cracks me up.

(The answer is no.)

--nt--
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues