MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  Partly Cloudy and Breezy
Collapse Photo Bar

TJs question

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:00 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:Are you aware that Target employs some of the same pracitces as Wal-Mart? Where's the anger?

Such as?

Low wages, no/poor insurance, caught hiring illegal aliens as janitors, cheap products from China...

Link please. As I've told you everytime you bring up this red herring, my late partner worked for Target corp, they gave him regular raises, full insurance and paid out his life insurance to him when he was no longer able to work. So I say, your full o'shit.

Really? He was just a regular cashier, sales floor employee? Because I have a friend who works there now and it's the $8.50/hr no insurance routine for your average store employee.

Oh, and Target dissed The Salvation Army a few years ago too.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

TJs

Postby bikinchef » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:06 pm

Well, I didn't mean to get everyone all excited about TJs and big business, I just it was an interesting note.
I everyong finds their old favorites at TJs, just with the TJ label and for less money.
Can we get back to food people?
bikinchef

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:25 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:

Really? He was just a regular cashier, sales floor employee? Because I have a friend who works there now and it's the $8.50/hr no insurance routine for your average store employee.

Full-time sales, but I'm sure there are part time employees that don't get insurance.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:47 am

Ned Flanders wrote:
TAsunder wrote:There's a difference between being anti-big business and anti-unethical-big business. It's lost on most conservatives. They think all big businesses are good, or if not, they think attacking an unethical big business is the same as attacking a neutral one.

And what YOU don't understand is that Wal-Mart allows lower middle class people the opportunity to buy things they couldn't afford at other places and more necessities for the same dollar.

What the hell are you babbling on about? This is not a thread about wal mart. It's a thread about TJ's. TJ's is not an evil big corporation. I did not mention any that I thought was, but obviously you have some conservative guilt because you immediately assumed wal-mart. Which wouldn't really be at the top of my list anyway.

So the argument thus went like this:

Ned: TJ's is a big company. Liberals hate big companies

TAsunder: Not all big companies, just the evil-doing ones. But conservatives often assume it's all because they won't admit that evil-doing exists.

Ned: Wal-mart is not evil.

What the hell?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sydgrl » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:38 am

Hate to bring this back to the original topic <heh>, but I'm wondering how one can find out the brands that TJ's sells under their own name. I love Rudy's bread and had no idea that TJ's brand bread was Rudy's.
sydgrl
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:54 am

sydgrl wrote:Hate to bring this back to the original topic <heh>, but I'm wondering how one can find out the brands that TJ's sells under their own name. I love Rudy's bread and had no idea that TJ's brand bread was Rudy's.

I think you have lent too much credence to bikinchef's rant-y complaint about TJ-branded items. I don't think there is any factual basis for such a claim as the one bikinchef makes. I found numerous comparisons between (for example) Rudi's bread and TJ's bread, but that's because they're in the same niche. Same with Stonyfield yogurt.

Don't get hung up on bikinchef's claim. It's a "conspiracy theory," if you will.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barreg » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:44 pm

My question about TJ's is what idiot designed the parking for that building? It's horribly cramped, there are cement columns every 2 car spaces, and there's consistently a 5-10 minute backup at the free underground parking.

There are a few things I like to get at TJ's, but several times I've just kept driving because parking was such a pain.
barreg

Postby bikinchef » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:37 pm

Who is the BookPolice working for? Are you professional taster? Facts!The palette doesn't lie! There is nothing wrong with contracting with a company and slapping your label on it, it happens all the time!
For instance, as far as I know Stoneyfield is the only yogurt producer to add "inulin"(natural dietary fiber) to their yogurt. That's funnyTJs brand banana-flavored vannila yogurt has "inulin" also. Just by chance I am sure, ya right.
Don't kid yourself...
bikinchef

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:10 am

bikinchef wrote:Who is the BookPolice working for? Are you professional taster? Facts!The palette doesn't lie! There is nothing wrong with contracting with a company and slapping your label on it, it happens all the time!
For instance, as far as I know Stoneyfield is the only yogurt producer to add "inulin"(natural dietary fiber) to their yogurt. That's funnyTJs brand banana-flavored vannila yogurt has "inulin" also. Just by chance I am sure, ya right.
Don't kid yourself...

Oh, my GOD!!!! SWISS VALLEY FARMS ALSO PUTS INULIN IN THEIR YOGURT!!!! IT IS A CONSPIRACY! INULIN IS DESPERATE TO ROB US OF OUR PRECIOUS BODILY FLUIDS!!

Gimme a break. Are you a professional taster? And even if you are (which I doubt), did you taste Stoneyfield and Trader Joe's side by side in a controlled environment, with the options blinded? How would you describe the mouthfeel? How would you rate the firmness? How about the maintenance of shape? Astringency? Anything?

And you're absolutely right. There is nothing wrong about purchasing rights to a formula or recipe and rebranding it. Except you brought it up in a critical context. So unless you actually know that this is what they're doing (and conversely, know that Whole Foods isn't), tone down the indignation and have some inulin. You sound a little backed up.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:21 am

barreg wrote:My question about TJ's is what idiot designed the parking for that building? It's horribly cramped, there are cement columns every 2 car spaces, and there's consistently a 5-10 minute backup at the free underground parking.

There are a few things I like to get at TJ's, but several times I've just kept driving because parking was such a pain.

Hm... I've never had that issue. I did have a giant semi truck blocking the parking lot once, though. Both incoming and outgoing. Usually the lot is empty and few people go in.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bikinchef » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:15 pm

It sounds like BookPolice is a little uptight...
It is just groceries!In my professionally trained opinion, there are many of the same items with TJs labels. I know how to taste and I have taste, I would never even think about buying Swiss Valley products, they do not meet my high standards.
Let's move on here.
bikinchef

Postby cattyr » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:48 am

NEWS FLASH:

TRADER JOES HAS TOTAL GREEK YOGURT.

Our work here is done. Thank you all for the assistance.
cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:49 am

cattyr wrote:NEWS FLASH:

TRADER JOES HAS TOTAL GREEK YOGURT.

Our work here is done. Thank you all for the assistance.

Yeah, I just discovered the stuff last week.

TJ's store brand Greek-style yogurt isn't bad either.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cubanat » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:56 am

do they have both the regular and low fat versions? Thanks for the update. Nothing is better than TJ's mini peanut butter & chocolate cups blended into Total yogurt.
cubanat
Forum Addict

Postby cattyr » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:54 pm

They had the full-on and the 0%; I think Total might make a 1% but I don't recall seeing that.

Oh and thanks to whoever recommended the TJs Thai Chili-Lime cashews (grocery product thread?) - like I needed another addiction.
cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues